PDA

View Full Version : Negative camber...... ball joints???

jordacr
05-18-2011, 05:58 PM
I have an '87 DX. I notice that my front drivers tire is wearing on the inside and you can actually tell the wheel has negative camber when looking from the front of the car. Would worn ball joints cause this?? could other things cause this?? It has started to vibrate on the driver's side when braking...almost as if the rotor was warped (but I don't think it is). I also think I can hear a slight popping noise when coming to a complete stop. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

YK86
05-18-2011, 06:27 PM
Sounds like balljoints. Best to check by jacking up the car. To check the lower balljoint, put the car on stands and then put a bit of load on the lower arm by jacking it up. Then put a prybar between the lower arm and knuckle and check for play. With the knuckle and arm just hanging there, there is tension making it look/feel like there is no play which is why you need to eliminate the tension by jacking up the arm.

Oldblueaccord
05-22-2011, 08:28 AM
Standard front end check:

1: jack up one side of the car until one tire is off the ground. The other side tire must be on the ground. I use the jacking point under the doors.

2: grab the tire in the air at the 3 and 9 o clock postion and shake/rock back and forth. slow at first. You might need someone to help look underneath. This checks tie-rods,steering rack etc. start kinda slow and work your way up a little harder. Your looking for loosness at the joints. Use common sense of course the steering wheel will move or the other tire may move if you shake the shit outta it.

3: Grab the tire 12 and 6 o clock. Rock back and fourth.This checks the wheel bearing and ball joints(upper and lower) and upper links(bushings). There should be no play in the wheel bearings.

4: this check might show ball joints/upper link a little better. Use a pry bar under the tire at the 6 o clock pos. pry up look for slop ,looseness while prying. The upper link ball joint and bushings near the body are what your looking at.

This is your basic "front end check" any good mechanic should know. It works for all makes and models of cars.

wp