PDA

View Full Version : Subframe cracked

Charbo88
05-20-2011, 12:52 PM
I have a bad crack in my subframe in the front and i need to find a new one. Does anyone have one they will sell me or know where to get one for a good price?

Charbo88
05-22-2011, 03:21 PM
I had a friend weld it temporarily and it seems to be alot better, but would my best bet be to get one at a junkyard? it is cracked pretty much all the way up except for a tiny bit at the top. It is the beam that goes across to hook the lower arms together right up by the power steering rack. Does anyone have a car they are parting out or something that can help me out?

lostforawhile
05-22-2011, 03:30 PM
I had a friend weld it temporarily and it seems to be alot better, but would my best bet be to get one at a junkyard? it is cracked pretty much all the way up except for a tiny bit at the top. It is the beam that goes across to hook the lower arms together right up by the power steering rack. Does anyone have a car they are parting out or something that can help me out?

is it cracked from rust? if it's not corroded, why not remove it, clean it up, and have your friend weld the entire crack? you can put some steel over the crack and also weld it on to provide strength

Charbo88
05-22-2011, 03:32 PM
No rust, i'm not sure why it cracked everything else looks fine. I could have him do that I just wasnt sure if that would be as good as getting a new one. How hard will it be to pull it out? It looks like I have to remove the center crossmember and the steering rack at least. I have to get a new steering rack as well so if it is ok like it is for about 2 weeks then I could do them both at the same time.

lostforawhile
05-22-2011, 03:36 PM
No rust, i'm not sure why it cracked everything else looks fine. I could have him do that I just wasnt sure if that would be as good as getting a new one. How hard will it be to pull it out? It looks like I have to remove the center crossmember and the steering rack at least. I have to get a new steering rack as well so if it is ok like it is for about 2 weeks then I could do them both at the same time.
it depends on how hard it is to find one, you'll have to look at it after it's out to see if it's safe to weld, if it's not corroded, I don't see why welding it won't work

Charbo88
05-22-2011, 03:38 PM
Alright, I will just be careful until I can get the rack and then pull it all out and see. I bought some steel at home depot we just couldnt get up in there to weld it on without pulling it out.

lostforawhile
05-22-2011, 03:42 PM
just be careful, normally i would say replace the part, but it may be really hard to find

Ichiban
07-12-2011, 09:22 PM
Maybe a bit late on this one, but if you go to the wreckers, try to find a car that has the engine already removed, it'll be a lot easier to get that crossmember out. I say replace it if you can, but this is coming from the guy that made his own crossmember out of junk.