PDA

View Full Version : 88 LXI FI problems

88Nightmare
05-20-2011, 08:57 PM
I bought a automatic 88 lxi for a beater as I leave in December and only need a car till then. So far me and my father have replaced the starter, a tie rod end, a ball joint, and the entire exhaust system. (thank you MI rust)

I am still getting these problems:

The ever so famous searching idle

shaking as I brake/slowdown

Recently I had the check engine light come on and it blinked 8 times then 5 on the LED. (I could have counted the first wrong as it went fast and I tryed to get it to replay but could only get a solid light.) When the light turned on, at slow speeds it started missing/not getting any power. Every time it "missed" the check engine light would blink off. (stopped after one day, waiting for it to continue since the light is still on)

My second gear clutch pack has gone out I believe. (1rst gear goes to about 35-4500 rpms before hopping to 3rd.)

We are just about clueless to the idle, I have been told many times it is a censor but I have no clue where to begin checking.

The shaking I have heard about on 5speeds but not come across it with automatics.

Since I don't need the car long and I don't have a lot of money I don't think I will bother messing with the transmission if it will last that long.

Any help tips or words of advise would be appreciated for my multiple problems, yeah I have looked through other threads but havn't had much luck. Also haven't heard of any one accord having all these problems at once.

Thanks, David

poorman212
05-21-2011, 04:36 AM
Not sure where to start. First off, sounds like the CEL is on(?), try getting the codes (blinks) from the ECU again. After getting them, reset the ECU. Let us know what, if any, codes it has.

5 is for the MAP sensor, 8 is for the crank sensor.

Have you done a tune up on this yet?

Idle, check the coolant level and be sure there is no air in the system. Then I would inspect the IAC.

Doesn't cost much to drain and fill the trans fluid, also check the throttle control cable for proper adjustment....may help the shifting.

88Nightmare
05-21-2011, 09:23 AM
We did check the coolqnt level and bled it. So next on the list i will check the iac. Yes the check engine light came on and I will try to reset it. And recound it.

I will drain some trans fluid after my dad gets back. I do not know how to check the cable myself but I will read through my hanes manuel.

No tune up yet was trying to knock out the larger things first. Now that I have a few things fixed I will get around too it

Dr_Snooz
05-21-2011, 11:12 AM
The bouncing idle can also be caused by a vacuum leak. For the brakes, just have the rotors turned. Then bed the brakes (http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm).