PDA

View Full Version : Stock Radio Question..

89HatchbackLxi
05-21-2011, 04:14 PM
I bought a 1989 Accord Hatchback Lxi as my first car less than a week ago. I got a great deal on it, car runs fine and everything, the ONLY problem is that the radio doesn't work. The guy I bought it from was selling it for a buddy of his, and when he recived the car the radio didnt work, he replaced the 10A radio fuse, and it lasted for 3 months but then it stopped working again. He said it works occasionally now if you hit it, but I don't think that sounds like a good way to "fix" anything.

I checked the radio fuse, and it wasn't blown. I replaced it anyways just in case, but as I figured, the radio unit still doesn't work. The thing that I don't get, is that the radio buttons still light up and everything when the headlights are turned on, the unit just doesn't "turn on" or function at all.

I'm new to cars (obviously, since this my first one) and I'm planning to get a new radio for the car in a few days. Would replacing the radio unit solve the problem, or is there another fuse or wiring issue somewhere that might be causing this, and if so, would that destroy the new radio I put in? If the guy got it to work by hitting it, maybe something just needs to be adjusted inside the radio? In that case, I'll just get a different one. I disconnected the radio yesterday to look at it, then put it back in. someone has obviously taken a look at it already, because its missing a few screws, which I'm guessing are what the screws I found in the glove box go to.

I can post more info if I need to if that would help someone to diagnose the problem with it. I mainly just want to know if it would be safe to put in a new radio.

Also, did 89 Lxi's come with a power antenna standard? because my Lxi appears to have a retractable antenna, however there is no switch to raise/lower the antenna behind the shifter in my car.

RAZR
05-21-2011, 06:06 PM
If you go to crutchfield dot com and type in it car they and but a stereo they give you idiot proof instructions

Dr_Snooz
05-21-2011, 08:25 PM
Most likely your radio unit is dead. Just replace it and you should be good.

charliekuney
05-22-2011, 01:21 PM
I'm fairly certain all LX's, LX-i's, and SE-i's came with power antennas. Pull the console and check to see if there's a wire behind the block-off plate where the button should be. Plug and play?

87lumper
08-25-2011, 04:56 PM
Did you ever swap the radio?

89HatchbackLxi
08-27-2011, 03:57 PM
Did you ever swap the radio?

Yes I did, about a month and a half ago. Dr_Snooz was right, it was just my radio unit that was bad. The wiring and everything was fine. I switched the stock unit out with a pioneer DEH-1300. It's surprisingly good quality for being just $60.

I also discovered that, unfortunately, my LXi has a manual antenna. So, it appears not all Lxi's came with the power ones.

DBMaster
08-28-2011, 08:25 AM
I wouldn't say "unfortunately." I have had this car since it was new. It required constant effort to keep the power antenna working. Cleaning, tweaking, occasional lubrication (just enough, not too much). The plastic inner cable finally broke in some really cold weather last year. I pulled all the powered stuff and replaced it with a manual antenna and am much happier.

If anyone needs a mint condition power antenna motor I have one. LOL!

Dr_Snooz
08-28-2011, 01:36 PM
DBMaster's experience is pretty common. All the power antennas are long since broken. Either they were left to dangle limp and lifeless (like mine) or were replaced with manual antennas (like yours).

skye
12-16-2011, 01:24 AM
Power antennas suck. I too have replaced mine with a manual one.

charliekuney
12-19-2011, 10:00 PM
Baha, all four of my coupes had fully operational power antennas.

A18A
12-20-2011, 12:06 AM
oem window ones ftw :)

Hauntd ca3
12-20-2011, 01:02 AM
oem window ones ftw :)

x2