PDA

View Full Version : Third Brake Light

Invisibro
05-22-2011, 11:04 AM
my lxi hatch is an 87 and from what ive been reading they implemented the third brake light "law/laws" in 86. the bulb and assembly are perfect but i dont have the red lens or bracket. so would i fail inspection without DIY'ing or finding a lens to make the third red brake light, or can i just go on with two?:confused:

charliekuney
05-22-2011, 12:52 PM
Depends on what state you're in. In Washington, you'd definitely fail without a high mount. Indeed, 1986 was the year for the mandate for passenger cars. Larger vehicles such as pickup trucks, sport utility vehicles, and vans weren't until 1995 or something like that. Even larger vehicles such as semis, buses, and moving trucks just recently got the mandate, I believe.

I don't know why I decided to tell you that., bahah. You can always get a red-painted bulb and force it into the socket.

RAZR
05-22-2011, 01:00 PM
He lives in utah according to his 3geez bio

you could get clear plastic and use that new dupli-color tail light red and paint it red.

Invisibro
05-22-2011, 07:15 PM
He lives in utah according to his 3geez bio

you could get clear plastic and use that new dupli-color tail light red and paint it red.

thats what i was thinking about doing either painting the bulb red or just sort of rig a bracket together and use red urathane tape or something. the bulb is plugged in and the wires work perfect, no delay, good connections etc. it just hangs there though and whenever i press the brake pedal i just see the white bulb reflected in my mirror:lol:

charliekuney
05-22-2011, 08:36 PM
Random question; does Duplicolor have amber orange like turn signals?

wh1skea
05-26-2011, 12:18 PM
I just use a red LED for my 3rd brake light in my hatch cause the lens is missing and the housing is busted all to hell.

RAZR
05-26-2011, 04:10 PM
Random question; does Duplicolor have amber orange like turn signals?

i do not believe so they only have black tint and red tint

moshbrandonmosh
05-31-2011, 08:18 PM
My '89 DX Hatch third brake light was all busted up and I found another from an '86 hatch that still was start to crack here and there. It seems that age seems to do this to the ABS plastic used on these cars....also, Honda must have improved suppliers or improved the quality of the plastic after, as well! Seems like the red LED thing would work well too. Haha.