PDA

View Full Version : Head Gasket

Invisibro
05-22-2011, 07:25 PM
anyone ever do there own head gasket? im going to be doing my own this summer and i would like to here how some others procedures have gone. i am a mechanic in training and have all the information and how to on how to do the head gasket. but again i would like to also hear from people who have done it before. any protips? suggestions? things to look out for?:thumbup:

RAZR
05-22-2011, 08:15 PM
here is a online manual for our cars. this manual is a life saver when ur working on our cars

http://www.pauldesign.ru/honda/shopmanual.html

Dr_Snooz
05-22-2011, 08:45 PM
I think the big trick is to remove the head with manifolds connected. It's really hard to get them off otherwise.

Invisibro
05-22-2011, 09:01 PM
here is a online manual for our cars. this manual is a life saver when ur working on our cars

http://www.pauldesign.ru/honda/shopmanual.html

will the 87 4dr manual work fine for me. i have the hatch.

lostforawhile
05-22-2011, 09:04 PM
will the 87 4dr manual work fine for me. i have the hatch.

yep it's exactly the same, it's not that bad of a job

YK86
05-23-2011, 02:47 AM
It's not too bad. Give that manual a very good read, make sure you have all the tools needed, and go at it. The head gasket was the first thing I every did on an engine when I first started tinkering with cars (it was on an 83 Accord). Don't cheap out by not resurfacing the old or "new" used head and replace all the seals while you are at it.

car6289
05-23-2011, 01:15 PM
Are you doing your head gasket for practice or do you have some issues? White smoke? Disappearing coolant? Sludgey oil?
Once it is removed get the head pressure tested if you have any issues.
If your existing head is good, get it resurfaced as YK86 suggested.
Remove all traces of old gasket off the block.
Clean the carbon off the top of your pistons, if carbon present.
Check the condition of your timing belt and replace if necessary.
Check and replace as necessary coolant hoses.
A friend without a dirt phobia. An extra set of hands and eyes for head removal and installation is invaluable especially if you plan to leave the manifolds installed to the head during the re and re.
Use a torque wrench.

AZmike
05-25-2011, 12:04 PM
I think the big trick is to remove the head with manifolds connected. It's really hard to get them off otherwise.

I haven't had much trouble pulling the exhaust manifold before pulling the head. The intake and the head together aren't nearly as bad to lift by yourself. I've always made sure to have some help when lowering the head back so it's easy to go slow and make sure everything is properly aligned before setting it down.

88Accord-DX
05-27-2011, 07:50 PM
Use a OEM or Fle-pro headgasket!!!!
Make sure you have the oil oriface on the block. I would have the head check out, like the valve stem height, spring tension & valve quide wear, warpage, pressure tested. At least have the valve stem seals replaced with this much work.....
The cylinder head can be removed with the intake & exhaust manifolds attatched, much easier. If you have the cylinder head rebuilt, it will put strain on the lower end and you might have problems in the long run, so be carfull how much you do to the cylinder head. Also replace the coolant lines under the intake too! Have a second hand to lay the head on the block so you don't knick the head up stitting it on the dowl pins.
EDIT- one last thing, blow out the thread holes in the block with compressed air, put a light coat of oil on the head bolts & it would be wise to replace the PCV valve along with the lines..