PDA

View Full Version : Honda really does honor the seatbelt warrenty

mykwikcoupe
05-23-2011, 07:05 PM
My 87 hatch has a black swapped interior from an 88 phoenix red hatch. In the swap I used 89 sei seat belts with the 88 seats. Im sure all belt except 1986 are a direct swap. I tried 89 seats, 88 seats and 87 seats with the 89 belts and all worked except the 88 black receivers mounted to the seat rails.

You could see they were broken inside. The passenger side would latch but wouldnt let you release them and the belt would hold you hostage until you fiddled with it long enough it would give up. The drivers side souldnt physically seat. It would stop less then half way in. I tried lubing, cleaning, beating and screaming. Amazingly the screaming seemed most effective.

After dealing without a seat belt for more then 2 years and 50k miles in a state that has seat belt fines and cops trained to spot the lack of a belt over obvious speeding or reckless endangerment I decided i would TRY and see if they could be fixed. I tried to just buy new ones but they suggested I pay the $104 1 hour charge to inspect the seats and see if they are covered. After the inspection is determined the $104 charge would be waived if found faulty.

Amazingly they are covered. They didnt ask about the miscolored interior, they didnt ask what the history of the car was or anything about me possibly damaging them over the ife of the vehicle. They ordered in 2 new receivers and installed them in less then a week. The work great and they are actually black to match the car. Charlie mentioned black was the only color left but even still its a bonus for me.

Im sure some others on the board have had issues with the belts and if yours sound like mine did then this is how you get them fixed for free. As stated you have to be prepared to pay the charge if it turns out to not be part of the warranty.

On a side not they also checked another warranty item that could cause defect issues if the car was subject to salty roads. At 1st they wouldnt tell me what it was but after over 30 minutes of asking they admitted it was in the gas filler neck. They wouldnt tell me anything about it other then it could wear if subject to corrosion.

I hope this helps anyone in he future. I at least feel much better knowing I drive over 700 miles a week and with a seat belt. Most of my travels are over 70 mph, at night from 1am to 7pm.

ghettogeddy
05-23-2011, 07:09 PM
even though they dident work you could have pull the belt over and just looped it arounf the receiver to give the looks of it working lol
or at least thats what i was doing
still need to et mine replaced once i get iot smoged

forrest89sei
05-23-2011, 07:27 PM
Glad to see they still honor it!

I'd like to see if they still honor it on the cars with the automatic seat belts...

charliekuney
05-23-2011, 08:21 PM
I'm really surprised that black happens to be the only hatch/coupe interior color Honda has left [around here, at least].

mykwikcoupe
05-23-2011, 08:28 PM
yeah i was just sitting on it. it gives the appearance I am wearing it but an accident at 70 MPH wouldnt be very good let alone a moose, deer or elk. Ive already kit a ram, deer and a ton of road debris thats fallen out of peoples trucks as they drive. Ive popped or worn through 8 tires in the last 5 months.

NXRacer
05-23-2011, 10:07 PM
i just had to have my drivers side belt ordered and they said the only color left now is grey :(

Dr_Snooz
05-24-2011, 06:38 PM
I bet they have a warehouse full of seat belts in all different colors. For fun, they just make up some random color that isn't your color and tell you that's all they have left. They take hidden videos of people's responses and post them to the Honda intranet for kicks.

lostforawhile
05-24-2011, 06:57 PM
My 87 hatch has a black swapped interior from an 88 phoenix red hatch. In the swap I used 89 sei seat belts with the 88 seats. Im sure all belt except 1986 are a direct swap. I tried 89 seats, 88 seats and 87 seats with the 89 belts and all worked except the 88 black receivers mounted to the seat rails.

You could see they were broken inside. The passenger side would latch but wouldnt let you release them and the belt would hold you hostage until you fiddled with it long enough it would give up. The drivers side souldnt physically seat. It would stop less then half way in. I tried lubing, cleaning, beating and screaming. Amazingly the screaming seemed most effective.

After dealing without a seat belt for more then 2 years and 50k miles in a state that has seat belt fines and cops trained to spot the lack of a belt over obvious speeding or reckless endangerment I decided i would TRY and see if they could be fixed. I tried to just buy new ones but they suggested I pay the $104 1 hour charge to inspect the seats and see if they are covered. After the inspection is determined the $104 charge would be waived if found faulty.

Amazingly they are covered. They didnt ask about the miscolored interior, they didnt ask what the history of the car was or anything about me possibly damaging them over the ife of the vehicle. They ordered in 2 new receivers and installed them in less then a week. The work great and they are actually black to match the car. Charlie mentioned black was the only color left but even still its a bonus for me.

Im sure some others on the board have had issues with the belts and if yours sound like mine did then this is how you get them fixed for free. As stated you have to be prepared to pay the charge if it turns out to not be part of the warranty.

On a side not they also checked another warranty item that could cause defect issues if the car was subject to salty roads. At 1st they wouldnt tell me what it was but after over 30 minutes of asking they admitted it was in the gas filler neck. They wouldnt tell me anything about it other then it could wear if subject to corrosion.

I hope this helps anyone in he future. I at least feel much better knowing I drive over 700 miles a week and with a seat belt. Most of my travels are over 70 mph, at night from 1am to 7pm.
with the gas tank thing, it's an ill fitting metal piece that slips into the gas door area and attaches with the bolts for the filler neck, it's supposed to reinforce the rusted out area where the filler neck bolts in, it perfectly screws up the gas door so it doesn't close properly, I just took it out since we don't have salt, and it was un needed. It looks like it should have welded in from the back, if this was done, it would have reinforced the area perfectly, that would entail removing the tank and filler first, so I think thats why they install it the way they do. I think they are installing them improperly

2drSE-i
05-26-2011, 08:27 PM
According (no pun intended) to my owners manual, all seatbelt components are subject to a lifetime warranty. I would assume this to include the belt retractors as well.

charliekuney
05-27-2011, 07:14 AM
I bet they have a warehouse full of seat belts in all different colors. For fun, they just make up some random color that isn't your color and tell you that's all they have left. They take hidden videos of people's responses and post them to the Honda intranet for kicks.

They didn't even ask what color my interior was. They just said "all we can order is black."

Dr_Snooz
05-27-2011, 07:55 AM
You realize I was making a joke, right?

charliekuney
05-27-2011, 04:05 PM
OMGNOWAI

Yes.