PDA

View Full Version : spark plug emitting smoke

A18A
05-25-2011, 05:44 AM
i bought some spark plugs brand new last year (NGK BCPR6E-11) yesterday I was trying to figure out why my motor would barely start, so i pulled a plug out to check for spark. when i cranked the motor over, instead of making any spark, a small amount of electrical smoke started coming out from beside the electrode. what would have caused this to happen? I put in some old spark plugs from another motor and the car actually runs now, but misfires pretty bad at the lower revs

stat1K
05-25-2011, 05:53 AM
so is the smoke coming from the plug itself or from the wire?

have you tried a new set of wires?

A18A
05-25-2011, 06:01 AM
it was coming from the plug itself. the leads are in known good condition, but i'm going to try some other ones tomorrow

stat1K
05-25-2011, 07:09 AM
any reason you're using the 6 plug instead of a 5?

2oodoor
05-25-2011, 11:04 AM
I assume you had the plug grounded at you checked the spark?

Is this going back to the same problem you had with the car a few months ago? That random chugga chug just off idle... O2 sensor made it better?

A18A
05-25-2011, 01:23 PM
any reason you're using the 6 plug instead of a 5?
I walked into BNT (an automotive shop here) and said I needed spark plugs for a ca3 honda accord, that's what they gave me. Is 5 a better option?

I assume you had the plug grounded at you checked the spark?

Is this going back to the same problem you had with the car a few months ago? That random chugga chug just off idle... O2 sensor made it better?
yup they where grounded. and yeah it's back to the same problem I had a few months ago, only this time I'm using a standard PH3 ECU, standard loom & B20A dizzy. one thing odd I noticed about the other ECU I had is it doesn't have a O2 sensor input, yet i could swear grounding that O2 wire made it run different

Ichiban
05-25-2011, 06:15 PM
i bought some spark plugs brand new last year (NGK BCPR6E-11) yesterday I was trying to figure out why my motor would barely start, so i pulled a plug out to check for spark. when i cranked the motor over, instead of making any spark, a small amount of electrical smoke started coming out from beside the electrode. what would have caused this to happen? I put in some old spark plugs from another motor and the car actually runs now, but misfires pretty bad at the lower revs

Kinda sounds like the plug was fouled, and the coating on the insulator was conducting current across it to ground instead of it jumping the gap like it was supposed to. 2-strokes do this to me all the time.:dunno::nervous::cool::321::blah::ugh2::cool: :squint: