PDA

View Full Version : Cruise control needs fixing

Lg310
05-26-2011, 08:04 PM
My 87accord lx 5spd manuals cruise control has not worked since it was handed to me the light on the button lights on but when i try to engage the cruiise control it wont activate and the light on the cluster does not come on what are somethings i can check and or things to do to get my cruise control working i only got about a month for my 17 state road trip 5015 miles and the cruise will be a life saver also list things to save gas and make the trip

87 accord lx 5spd mn
ac condenser-removed
ac pump- removed
o2 sensor-replaced
cv axles- replaced
pcv valve and filter-replaced
clutch-process in replacing
fuel filters and pump-1yr old

anything else to replace to help mpgs and the trip

TotaledTL
05-26-2011, 08:09 PM
Tire pressure & condition, alignment.

Lg310
05-26-2011, 08:20 PM
I forgot to mention those are good and ready to go as for the cruise control do you have any ideas on what it might do

Buzo
05-26-2011, 08:37 PM
I forgot to mention those are good and ready to go as for the cruise control do you have any ideas on what it might do

Is the Tachometer working OK? The cruise control uses the tacho signal and waits until the engine speed is enough to turn on.

Another though, Have you tested it in the road? I mean, the light in the instrumet panel may not turn on, but the system work OK, It may sound dumb but check it anyway. It happened one time "to a friend of mine" haha

If none of the above are the causes, I believe there is a module specially dedicated to the cruise control, you may try to replace it with a known good module.

obdriver6
05-26-2011, 08:46 PM
Easiest thing first, check the fuses and connections cause I had the same problem with my coupe and found the cruise control module disconnected. The next time I did want to use it (about a year later), it did the same thing again so now I don't feel like fixing it cause later I'm going to pull it off.

TotaledTL
05-27-2011, 08:07 AM
It became disconnected again? Must be something amiss with the connectors for that to happen. Tie wraps to the rescue...

Dr_Snooz
05-27-2011, 10:15 AM
There is a selection of manuals on the wiki (http://3geez.wiki-tv.com/Honda_service_manuals). Each will have a very good troubleshooting section for the cruise control system. That's where I would start.

Lg310
05-27-2011, 12:16 PM
tach works i road tested it fuse is good where would this module be at i have a haynes manual and does speciffy or shows any locations on the items

greentee76
05-27-2011, 12:28 PM
Module is under passenger seat.

Keachman1
05-27-2011, 06:03 PM
The cruise control uses inputs from the ignition coil and pulses from the speedometer to maintain speed. If your main cruise control power switch is lighting up when depressed, it is receiving power. The most common problem is the brake and clutch pedal switches being out of adjustment. You can pull up the pedals one at a time with your toe and try to set the cruise to see if this helps. I believe you have to be going above 40 mph before the cruise will engage also. You can download the electrical manual to get the electrical schematic of the cruise control to troubleshoot further if this doesn't work.

obdriver6
05-27-2011, 10:57 PM
It became disconnected again? Must be something amiss with the connectors for that to happen. Tie wraps to the rescue...
It didn't get disconnected, it just stopped working again.

Module is under passenger seat.
On my car the unit is under the dash driver side, it's kind of hard to get to cause it's almost at the top.

LG310, sorry if I jacked your thread.

Lg310
05-27-2011, 11:05 PM
The cruise control uses inputs from the ignition coil and pulses from the speedometer to maintain speed. If your main cruise control power switch is lighting up when depressed, it is receiving power. The most common problem is the brake and clutch pedal switches being out of adjustment. You can pull up the pedals one at a time with your toe and try to set the cruise to see if this helps. I believe you have to be going above 40 mph before the cruise will engage also. You can download the electrical manual to get the electrical schematic of the cruise control to troubleshoot further if this doesn't work.

ok both of the plastic things that go on the pedal on my car broke so i bypassed it by placing a small round metal cap and super gluing it so the sensor could go in and tell my sensor i was pressing my brakes so that worked and also did the same for the clutch switch should i remove it and try to find the plastics things also on the module what ecxatly am i looking for or doing to it

Keachman1
05-28-2011, 06:16 PM
If the brake and clutch switches are damaged, you may need to get switches from another car at the junkyard and replace them. The brake switch has a 4connector plug and the clutch switch has a two connector plug. The brake switch has one set of contacts made up and the other contacts are open with the brake pedal out and the contacts reverse when the brake pedal is depressed. The clutch switch is grounded with the clutch pedal out and the circuit is broken when the clutch is depressed. The electrical manual has a very good schematic and troubleshooting guide in it. You should download it and read how the cruise is supposed to work.

Lg310
05-28-2011, 08:46 PM
I see what your saying it was working fine my uncle was driving this car with the cruise all the time. But then one day he blew the HG and handed it down to me rebuilt it and now that im going on a long trip i need it. So I think I might start with the module since it might be easier to check. If not then i will have to replace parts and check wiring.

I have heard some stuff about the CC on these cars that they over rev and dont maintain speed so well, Is this true or all mechanical issues thank you very much

Keachman1
05-29-2011, 07:19 AM
The cruise control module is under the dash on the drivers side and is a pain in the a-- to get to. Even harder to get to than the fuel pump relay. It is way up under the dash. I would replace the brake and clutch switches first since you said they were broke. I've never seen the modules go bad.

Lg310
05-29-2011, 07:29 AM
Would it be easy to get to the module by removing the cluster. I will replace the pedal switches and also see about getting a replacement module.

poorman212
05-29-2011, 08:33 AM
I would test the switches before just replacing them. With the "repair" you made to the bump stops, could be they just need to be adjusted.

Lg310
05-29-2011, 08:49 AM
So you think I should remove the caps and find the original pedal plastics that press down on the switch. Or is that fix good enough and just adjust the switches

TotaledTL
05-29-2011, 07:06 PM
Is there a Pull A Part in your area? See if they have any of these cars & just go harvest them.

Lg310
05-30-2011, 03:50 PM
Yeah, we do I went to one today and saw where the module is. I'm going to check mine out to see if it might be unplugged or something.

Dr_Snooz
05-30-2011, 06:45 PM
There is a selection of manuals on the wiki (http://3geez.wiki-tv.com/Honda_service_manuals). Each will have a very good troubleshooting section for the cruise control system. That's where I would start.

^^^You should do what this guy suggests.

Lg310
05-30-2011, 07:42 PM
Lol got it ill do that