PDA

View Full Version : Time to Call the Tow Truck

SkateK610
05-27-2011, 12:13 AM
Tonight the rear right ball joint on the upper arm gave out, ill have to see if there is anything else messed up, any suggestions as to fixing it myself

A18A
05-27-2011, 12:19 AM
put in a new one?

SkateK610
05-27-2011, 12:22 AM
Yeah im checking as to going about doing that

MessyHonda
05-27-2011, 12:47 AM
yeah easy with new arms and ball joints

mykwikcoupe
05-27-2011, 05:13 AM
hopefully when it gave out the hub just slide inward and rested on the spring. If so you probably dont have any other damages. i would look for clean spots, those would have been rubbed. I would also look at those spots for stressing of the paint. Chances are if this one went the other is right behind it.

Oldblueaccord
05-27-2011, 07:14 AM
Tonight the rear right ball joint on the upper arm gave out, ill have to see if there is anything else messed up, any suggestions as to fixing it myself

If you buy the stock one its a bolt in deal to the car you just need to separate the ball joint but since yours did it itself already your ready to rock and roll :huh:

I would change both sides there a short wear item on our car.

wp

2drSE-i
05-27-2011, 09:18 AM
If you buy the stock one its a bolt in deal to the car you just need to separate the ball joint but since yours did it itself already your ready to rock and roll :huh:

I would change both sides there a short wear item on our car.

wp

Its really easy to be honest with you. Should only take 15 minutes or so with it already being separated. I will x3 the suggestion to do both at once, as your other one is right behind it.

SkateK610
05-27-2011, 10:15 AM
I ordered a new arm so hopfully tonight after work i can fix it out, the nut with the cotterpin is pretty much rusted/corroded to hell, hopfully i can get it off somewhat alright, but thats usually never the case

SkateK610
05-27-2011, 07:57 PM
http://i56.tinypic.com/1zxtjit.jpg

After lots of trying to free the nut we decided the last option was some hose clamps, and i cant believe the 3 of em held for the 5 mph 3 mile journey home.

that nut is rusted up pretty good and the cotter pin is broken and still in there, any suggestions?

frantik
05-27-2011, 08:10 PM
put in a new one?

first you should remove the old one

Pico
05-27-2011, 09:02 PM
try soaking it overnight with some pb blaster or wd40..you may have to beat on it with a good heavy mallet to loosen it up.

car6289
05-28-2011, 08:12 AM
http://i56.tinypic.com/1zxtjit.jpg

After lots of trying to free the nut we decided the last option was some hose clamps, and i cant believe the 3 of em held for the 5 mph 3 mile journey home.

that nut is rusted up pretty good and the cotter pin is broken and still in there, any suggestions?

Nice ghetto get you home repair!

Remove all traces of the cotter pin if you can. Take off your savior hose clamps. It looks like the joint will self-separate, ball from socket. Use liberal amounts of your favorite penetrating oil on the nut. Grab the ball (or what remains of it) with big Vice Grips and wrench the nut off.

Another option is to cut just the nut off leaving the threaded portion intact.
Hoprfully threads aren't too fucked for the next step.
Put another nut of same size and thread pitch a couple of turns on the threaded portion of the ball joint. Force the tapered end of the ball joint out of the knuckle with a Pitman arm remover or similar tool.

SkateK610
05-28-2011, 11:59 AM
http://i56.tinypic.com/bi03rr.jpg

The screw had no threads on the end it was so corroded, the nut was too far in to get a grip with anything.

We cut the top of the ball off but the screw was rusted shut in there hammering it wouldnt budge so i drilled though the length of it hoping to collapse it but still nothing, then my dad took a chisel to the nut and hammered it off, after that it took some heavy hits to free it from the knuckle.

But alas 3 hours later its replaced.

car6289
05-28-2011, 12:07 PM
Good on ya! Ingenuity wins the day. Don't forget to change the left side sooner than later.

MessyHonda
05-28-2011, 06:37 PM
well now you know to coat the new parts with some grease so they dont rust again

Dr_Snooz
05-28-2011, 07:39 PM
That's some good work there.

Tdurr
05-28-2011, 08:49 PM
Deff change the left side man!

SkateK610
05-28-2011, 09:31 PM
I remember the last owner saying some stuff was changed on the suspension, the left side looks newer and wasn't original but for $20 shipped on ebay i cant afford not to