PDA

View Full Version : cv axle issue. Opinions wanted.

greentee76
05-27-2011, 12:49 PM
When I had to pull the trans to replace the throw out bearing arm bolt I had alot of trouble getting the driverside cv axle to lock into the trans. It would pop in and seem firm but a trip around the block( or less ) would find it popped out and trans fluid all over the ground. Ended up getting a oem clip and thought I had the problem solved but it has continued to leak at the junction. I have the seal to replace it, just haven't gotten an oppurtunity.
I was looking through the manual and notice that Honda is very specific on the order that the engine mounts are tightened. I don't recall if I followed this when I installed the refreshed engine or not.
This brought the thought to mind that perrhaps I have an engine alignment problem that is causing this axle to come unseated? I believe some of the mounts are worn, but it is hard to get the engine to move much.
So I'm looking for opinions. Anyone ever had this issue?

2oodoor
05-27-2011, 01:07 PM
that surely would create conditions for that to happen, something is making the axle or the transaxle shorter. Any other issues you can think of that are present besides the axle popping out? noises, shifting issues etc..

Dr_Snooz
05-28-2011, 10:57 AM
If your axle seal is seated too far into the tranny, it will get wedged behind the CV joint and prevent the circlip from seating. I spent a few hours cursing my car one afternoon because I couldn't get the axle seated in the trans. It looked like it would seat, but getting it that last 1/8" for it to really seat was impossible. After beating on it awhile, I pulled the axle back out and found the seal all smashed. Replaced it and was golden.

greentee76
05-28-2011, 10:24 PM
I think Snooz has probably hit it on the head, as it does leak alot just a little continuously.

Looks like I have bigger problems anyway. A persistent shimmy in the front end that didn't go away after tie rod ends and balljoints has seemed to show 3itself to have been the inner bushing on the lower arm wearing out, along with worn strut rod bushings, and the rusted out seam behind the strut toweris allowing the whole assembly to pivot. And that is all exasterbated by the bad outer CV joint. When I tugged on the wheel and saw the strut assembly torsion I nearly shit myself. I proceeded to nurse it home, the whole time trying not to think about the passenger suspension collapsing. ha.
Hoping to beg someplace to pull it apart and investigate in the next few days.

Dr_Snooz
05-30-2011, 07:44 PM
Yikes!