PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Questions

Lg310
05-28-2011, 03:36 PM
Ok so they have been talking bad about my grammar and punctuation, So im going to try and do it right on this one, even though my writing still its still not all that great. Ok now that i got that out of the way let me get to the point. Ok about two years ago i switched my clutch,release bearing ,pressure plate and of course my flywheel. I was wondering what i did wrong to go trough my clutch so quick or is it normal to wear out so soon. I"m blaming my rough driving and along those two years i did teach my friend to drive stick and she had no clue how to. So can i can get any tips on how to improve the life of this new clutch set and flywheel, I decided to go with the new flywheel because to resurface it was 30 new was 55 so i decided to go new.

PS: almost forgot after i put my last clutch set and flywheel when it was idling i would hear a kinda chirping noise from the transmission area, and when i would apply the clutch it would stop. what did i do wrong and what can i do to make it better or is it a normal noise they should make thanks

MessyHonda
05-28-2011, 06:49 PM
we have alot of companies that make clutches for our cars. my first question is what brand you went with? also driving style and clutch adjustment are crucial

Dr_Snooz
05-28-2011, 07:35 PM
Nice post! Yay for readability!

Proper clutch adjustment is most important. Here are some more pointers: http://www.cheap-auto-car-insurance-quotes.com/Mechanical/clutch_tips.htm

Lg310
05-28-2011, 08:40 PM
LOL thank you very much. Clutch set is LUK, Flywheel is Fenco. Driving style I was driving it like it was stolen. Yeah i think my biggest down fall on that was the adjustments. HA i just went trough the list and yeah im pretty sure thats what happen LOL.

My grammar and all that is rusty so might take me awhile to get better stick with me though.

WOW wait how do I adjust the clutch my Hayes manual manual's section is very limited and no explanations on how to adjust.

MessyHonda
05-28-2011, 09:10 PM
luk is a ok clutch they use exedy parts. The clutch is adjusted by the clutch cable that is connected to the leaver for the throw out bearing. the best setting is to have a good inch of play so you wont burn out your clutch

Lg310
05-28-2011, 09:12 PM
Ok so have about an inch of play on the pedal before it engages?

YK86
05-28-2011, 09:42 PM
What's the actual mileage you got out of it over the 2 years?

The freeplay at the arm should be about 0.25 inch. Freeplay at the pedal about 0.6 to 1inch. The clutch should start disengaging after the pedal has risen 2 inches from fully pressed in.

Also, the chirping sound you hear is probably the input shaft bearing if it goes away with clutch pressed in. If it's only a slight chirp, it's ok. But once it starts to get really bad, it will whirl in neutral with clutch let off and eventually whine a lot when downshifting. It's a common problem on 88+ Civics and to some extent, newer Accords and Preludes.

BTW, thanks for the effort. The periods really help me read what you wrote. It doesn't have to be perfect, but the effort you put in makes a huge difference.

MessyHonda
05-28-2011, 09:44 PM
yeah you should be able to push the pedal down about a inch till the clutch starts to release

Lg310
05-29-2011, 05:41 AM
Thank you very much yk86, millage was about 25,000miles The chirping was minimum and never got worse or better always the same.

Thanks MessHonda this time i think with the proper adjustments ,and using the steps dr snooz posted i will last much longer.

And no more TEACHING PEOPLE HOW TO DRIVE STICK IN MY CAR.

THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE INPUTS HELPED A BUNCH.

TotaledTL
05-29-2011, 07:10 PM
If you or anyone whom you let drive it has a (bad) habit of resting a foot on the pedal that will cause an early demise of the clutch.

Lg310
05-30-2011, 03:45 PM
I do tend to rest my foot on the pedal:facepalm:

Dr_Snooz
05-30-2011, 06:48 PM
Throw away your Haynes manual and start using the Honda manual. There are a couple available for download on the wiki (http://3geez.wiki-tv.com/Honda_service_manuals).

Lg310
05-30-2011, 07:45 PM
Yeah haynes sucks whats the average price for them

YK86
05-30-2011, 10:12 PM
Did you click the link? Its FREE.

Lg310
06-01-2011, 08:16 AM
No not yet been on my cell the last couple of days