PDA

View Full Version : Carb to TBI swap kit out there???

mcs32jr1968
05-29-2011, 11:18 PM
Hey all, have an '89 Accord and am interested in seeing if there is a kit for swapping out the carb for throttle body injection.

How much does the kit cost (if it exists)? Where do I get one?

Will it improve fuel economy over the original carb setup I currently have?

That's the only reason I would think of attempting such a project; pure fuel economy.

Here in SoCal we passed the $4 a gallon mark long ago and I see no relief in sight.

Peace All,

mcs from Southern Cali, specifically Hell-Lay...(eastside...)

A18A
05-29-2011, 11:20 PM
check this thread http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75775

I believe it's the only TBI conversion for this car known of on this site

cygnus x-1
05-30-2011, 11:43 AM
There are universal type aftermarket TBI systems out there. Holley used to make some and may still. You would need a custom adapter plate and throttle linkage though, and a higher pressure fuel pump.

A TBI won't gain you much if anything in terms of fuel mileage though, unless your carb is worn out or in need of a rebuild. Best thing for fuel economy is to follow the standard maintenance procedures; tuneup, tire pressure, drop excess weight, etc..

C|

Dr_Snooz
05-30-2011, 07:01 PM
A TBI won't gain you much if anything in terms of fuel mileage

x2. The fuel injected Accords typically get worse mileage than the carbed ones.

lostforawhile
05-30-2011, 07:16 PM
Hey all, have an '89 Accord and am interested in seeing if there is a kit for swapping out the carb for throttle body injection.

How much does the kit cost (if it exists)? Where do I get one?

Will it improve fuel economy over the original carb setup I currently have?

That's the only reason I would think of attempting such a project; pure fuel economy.

Here in SoCal we passed the $4 a gallon mark long ago and I see no relief in sight.

Peace All,

mcs from Southern Cali, specifically Hell-Lay...(eastside...)
if you want the best fuel economy,stick with the carb the feedback carb is designed to run extremely lean at the expense of power