PDA

View Full Version : Mileage, Mileage, and more mileage, (tips that is...)

mcs32jr1968
05-30-2011, 10:40 PM
Hey all, got my 89 Accord LX automatic and so far have been pretty happy with it...

she's my daily driver and this is what I am looking for...

any tips and tricks to improve gas mileage???

any and all suggestions will be taken into consideration as gas here in Cali has already passed the $4 mark and just seems to be climbing every week with no end in sight...

if you have any (and I mean any) tips to get more miles per gallon let me know...

e.g. fuel additives, timing advance/retard, tire pressure, etc....anything that you have tried and know that works....

peace all from SoCal (specifically East Hell-Lay)...

charliekuney
05-31-2011, 07:33 AM
Well, here's the obvious stuff:
- drive easy
- take out anything unnecessary (weight reduction)
- skinnier tires / lighter wheels get better gas mileage (less effort to move)
- use the correct gasoline

...5-speed swap.

Dr_Snooz
05-31-2011, 11:19 PM
Don't drive faster than 55.

TotaledTL
06-01-2011, 06:21 AM
Make sure alignment is ok.

Chk/repl. air filter.

Plan your route for the least # of stop signs, traffic lights, etc. Anticipate signal changes to green.

Consolidate trips/errands whenever possible. Carpool.

car6289
06-01-2011, 10:53 AM
Check that your brakes are not dragging.

I wish gas was only $4.00/gal. Local price is $1.25/litre (4 litres = 1 US gallon approx) I'll let you do the math.

charliekuney
06-01-2011, 01:44 PM
$1.25/liter is only $5.00/gallon. That's not that bad. Anyway, once I was told that starting your car takes more gas than leaving it idle/running for a couple minutes. Not sure if that's true, though, but it makes sense.

Jbs_LX-i
06-02-2011, 11:02 AM
That depends on how long you leave it idle. Obviously your not going to save any gas leaving you car running while you go shoping but if your at a traffic light don't shut your car off to save gas same for traffic unless you know you will not be moving for more than 15 minutes I don't know how it is in cali never been I've heard stories of the traffic as for tire pressure check google using your tire size to find the perfect amount of air the 5 speed swap is a great idea but if your not into it use the low gears on your automatic don't just throw it in drive and go that's what the 1 and 2 are there for hope it helps

Dr_Snooz
06-02-2011, 08:40 PM
Anyway, once I was told that starting your car takes more gas than leaving it idle/running for a couple minutes. Not sure if that's true, though, but it makes sense.

I read somewhere years ago that it's 1 minute. If you'll be sitting more than one minute, turn it off.

hotpepper
09-10-2011, 08:47 AM
check brakes, make sure there is no drag due to sticky pads/shoes

89fuelie
09-22-2011, 10:23 PM
I find the biggest thing that effects my mileage is driving style/habits. I know everyone makes a big stink about it. I don't think that accelerating quickly from lights/on ramps is a big deal, unless ALL your driving is in town stop/go. I do notice that on the freeway, hard throttle and kickdowns make a big difference. On my 89 LX-i auto, I try to run a constant 70-75 at all times, never coming out of overdrive unless necessary. I usually average ~31 on the highway, 24-25 on 50/50 mixed. Granted, my A/C doesn't work and I run windows up on the freeway no matter the temperature. Let's be honest though, stock these puppies aren't race cars. (Doesn't stop me from running mine on wednesday nights) Don't bother racing away from the lights, you're probably not faster than anything new anyway. If all your maintenence checks out, this is probably the most important factor besides that.

POS carb
09-23-2011, 05:21 AM
Driving style
alignment
tire pressure
air filter
oxygen sensors (EFI cars)
those are the main ones