PDA

View Full Version : Coolng Issue

RAZR
06-01-2011, 11:45 AM
So a couple of days ago my car started to over heat. So i replaced the coolent and the thermostat. Then i figuered out that the reason that it over heated was because my cooling fans wont turn on. But if i push my ac button while having the air going. both fans turn on.
So what could be wrong?

limikjr
06-01-2011, 12:47 PM
I had the same problem with my fan. I just ended up hardwiring the fan to a switch on the dash because I couldn't pinpoint the problem. Made things A LOT easier.

RAZR
06-01-2011, 01:00 PM
I had the same problem with my fan. I just ended up hardwiring the fan to a switch on the dash because I couldn't pinpoint the problem. Made things A LOT easier.

yeah well right if it starts getting hot i just turn on the ac and it cools down but if i leave it on it will run cool

limikjr
06-01-2011, 01:16 PM
I just drive around and watch the gauge. Most of the time the gauge won't go above halfway and I leave the fan off. But if I'm sitting in traffic and the gauge starts to go up, I hit the switch and the gauge comes bad down pretty quick. So I really only ever need it if I'm just sitting there for a few minutes. Has worked perfectly for me with no problems. Usually the air passing over the radiator even at 30mph is more than enough and you only need the fan when your sitting still.

RAZR
06-01-2011, 06:51 PM
Yeah but I kinda like having my coolent fans working

88lxi-shortram
06-01-2011, 07:12 PM
Try replacing the sensor on the bottomof the radiator. I'm pretty sure that's the coolant fan switch and if it's defective then that could be why it's not working

limikjr
06-01-2011, 07:25 PM
Yeah but I kinda like having my coolent fans working

Alright then. There is a sensor on the bottom of your radiator that could be bad as well as one on the thermostat housing (not the TW sensor but the fan switch). There is also a little black box under your passenger seat that could have a burnt diode. Check inside that box to see if there is anything burnt out.

Now when I had this problem I replaced both those sensors and the box had nothing burnt out in it, and my fan still would not come on. But that's all I know to check besides the fan motor itself which you already said works.

greentee76
06-01-2011, 08:12 PM
Make sure you check your fuses. There are two for the fan one under the hood and one under the dash. Seems like the one under the dash tends to be forgotten often.

RAZR
06-01-2011, 08:15 PM
Make sure you check your fuses. There are two for the fan one under the hood and one under the dash. Seems like the one under the dash tends to be forgotten often.

the fans work. they turn on when i press the ac button and turn on the blower

Pnem3
06-01-2011, 08:58 PM
Isn't there a diode in that subsystem somewhere that might be bad? Also, check your grounds just in case.