PDA

View Full Version : Another AC compressor thread

gp02a0083
06-02-2011, 03:11 AM
ok so when i bought my 89 lxi hatch the original owner said that the compressor is shot, well sure enough the guy was right. needless to say i need to replace the compressor before the temperature here gets into the higher 90's and the triple digits. However, the car is soooo original it never was retrofitted from the factory from the keihin compressor to the denso one. I searched a little bit on the board and saw that the keihin has a big problem taking 134a, seems it will work for a short period of time before crapping out. So this leaves me with two options:

1. order a replacement compressor and find somewhere that had r-12
2. Ditch the junky keihin compressor and visit the junkyard to get the compressor bracket and both hoses off of a denso and convert it over.

now if someone could clear this up for me , i understand that there are two different deso compressors(one slightly larger than the other), are the brackets different? I plan on buying a rebuilt one and a new drier but i guess i will just need the two lines that go to the compressor in addition to the bracket and it should be a straight forward swap?

DBMaster
06-02-2011, 10:25 AM
I'm not a big fan of rebuilt compressors. I have installed two and a family member had one installed. None lasted over three years. It's up to you. You can get a brand new Denso compressor on Rock Auto for around $300. I bought one last year to replace the one I had installed in 1999. When I had that one done it was part of a kit from Honda that included the mounting hardware, drier, belt, hoses, and hose manifold to convert from the Keihin to the Denso. I don't know if the hoses from the Keihin attach the same way they do to the Denso.

You should be able to do this as you describe, though, with junkyard mounting hardware.

Dr_Snooz
06-02-2011, 09:04 PM
The Keihin compressors were never very good, even with R12. Definitely do the Denso swap. I bought the same kit that DB did, and it worked out really well. I also swapped to a different compressor on the 4g. A quick trip to the junkyard to get the bracket and hoses worked out equally well, at a much lower cost.

Be aware that they just changed the laws for 134 and I have every confidence that it too will be going the way of R12. A third option you might not have considered is going with Duracool (http://www.duracool.com/). With Duracool, you don't have to take apart your system, change the orings, flush the old oil, add new oil, put it all back together, pump it down for six days to get all the residual flush fluid out, curse because now you have a leak, fix leak, curse some more because you broke something and have to replace it. With Duracool, you just replace the compressor and fill it. It works with 134 oil or 12 oil or salad oil. I will never again be converting another AC system. Duracool is non-toxic. Doesn't dissolve the ozone layer. Doesn't cause global warming. It's the freon we should have been using all this time.

moshbrandonmosh
06-02-2011, 09:21 PM
My '89 Hatch (made in Japan) had the Keihin compressor too. Pretty ugly beast, I must say. It was long since dead by the time I'd gotten the car, and I removed it as well as the hoses. I'm definitely going this route too if I'm even considering A/C!

DBMaster
06-03-2011, 08:18 AM
For some reason I could not reply to your other thread. The one I bought for my car last year is Rock Auto's part number (Denso) 4711201. It is $250.79, brand new.

gp02a0083
06-04-2011, 03:33 AM
yah i think im going to convert to the denso type, i took a day off work to check a few junkyards that typically have 3rd gens, no one in my area has them (went to about 6 junkyards and called another 5). what im really after is the mounting bracket for the denso, that's the only thing holding me up. I can spend the money and get new charge/discharge lines and a compressor, but i tried looking online for the bracket and people are out of there minds and list that part for $120 for the bracket alone.

i saw on rockauto they sell a conversion kit (minus the bracket, figures :rant:) i was just gonna piece the system together and buy a re-manufactured compressor. My father has found a reputable re-manufacturer and has installed them in our two civics and his aerostar and have lasted well over 3 years, he uses the same place at work when he replaces ac compressors.

so with that being said , i need your guys help sourcing a denso bracket so i can ditch the keihin compressor ( i tried looking just as an option for r12 and i cannot find anyone around here that has it)

Pnem3
06-05-2011, 10:29 AM
the keihin compressors were never very good, even with r12. Definitely do the denso swap. I bought the same kit that db did, and it worked out really well. I also swapped to a different compressor on the 4g. A quick trip to the junkyard to get the bracket and hoses worked out equally well, at a much lower cost.

Be aware that they just changed the laws for 134 and i have every confidence that it too will be going the way of r12. A third option you might not have considered is going with duracool (http://www.duracool.com/). With duracool, you don't have to take apart your system, change the orings, flush the old oil, add new oil, put it all back together, pump it down for six days to get all the residual flush fluid out, curse because now you have a leak, fix leak, curse some more because you broke something and have to replace it. With duracool, you just replace the compressor and fill it. It works with 134 oil or 12 oil or salad oil. I will never again be converting another ac system. Duracool is non-toxic. Doesn't dissolve the ozone layer. Doesn't cause global warming. It's the freon we should have been using all this time.

+1

POS carb
06-05-2011, 04:46 PM
the brackets and hoses are different. you will need the suction line, discharge line, and bracket. Make sure you get the tensioner bolt and nut with the bracket. I blew up my keihin with r134 and did this swap and it works great now. I am running the smaller nippondenso rebuild from autozone

gp02a0083
06-05-2011, 07:59 PM
For some reason I could not reply to your other thread. The one I bought for my car last year is Rock Auto's part number (Denso) 4711201. It is $250.79, brand new.

includes the bracket ?