PDA

View Full Version : electrical harness question for the gurus

88lxi-shortram
06-02-2011, 06:56 PM
ok so i had an injector wire break while i did the swap and i didnt sawder it i just put wire nuts and elec tape on them. i feel as though im running rich or have a misfire or something. and maybe the injector wires not being repiared correctly may be the cause? so i i need to sawder i will if not ill move onto a different solution... also what would be a sign of a distributer or a fuel pump going out? i have alot of hesitation during driving... basically i can roll at idle just fine but when i give it gas it feels heavy and hesitant and has backfires through the low rpms. if im full throttle its ok sometimes but it wants to die sometimes when i let off of full throttle to a complete stop. if youve got ideas what this is tell me plz? i want the car drivable and on the road

Dr_Snooz
06-02-2011, 07:54 PM
Son, you know better than to use wire nuts on that. Fix it properly and then let's see what's what.

88lxi-shortram
06-03-2011, 05:22 AM
lol ok.... i just didnt have time that day to sawder it and had wire nuts at hannd so i figured what the hell?.... i was aslo considering buying a whole new harness for that section of the bay. almost all my wires are crisp and hard and the insulation breaks when slightly bent. but anyways i will sawder it and see whats from there

cygnus x-1
06-03-2011, 08:30 AM
Honestly the wires would connect just fine using wire nuts, but it's not a good solution for something that's exposed to the elements. It would be better to use self sealing crimp connectors. Once crimped you heat them with a heat gun (or lighter etc.) and the jacket shrinks and seals up water tight. I know people always think that soldering is the *best* way to join wires, but it's not. It's harder to do correctly (than crimping) and if not done right it's no better than just twisting the wires together.

But, it sounds like the rest of the harness may not be so great either, so you might look around and see if any other wires are broken. Is the CEL on?

C|

88lxi-shortram
06-03-2011, 08:54 AM
nope.. the CEL only comes on after my reverse drop but it goes right back off as soon as i start rolling. but i remember from school that certain wires should be soldered some shouldnt. i will be on the lookout for a new harness as soon as i get more money. i recently got laid off and dont have much money so its not in the budget right now but i do want one eventually

Oldblueaccord
06-05-2011, 05:40 PM
There is a ground wire related to the injectors someplace on the intake manifold maybe its loose or missing? The injectors wont fire correctly without it.

wp

88lxi-shortram
06-27-2011, 05:07 PM
that ground was on there fine and i went back and redid all the wires with crimp connectors and regapped my plugs at 35 and it helped alot. now its only at low idle speeds that this happens...

Dr_Snooz
06-27-2011, 06:17 PM
I might be misremembering, but I believe the car has been sitting for a long time. You really need to drive it. Cars will develop all kinds of fun issues if you don't drive them. Driving them will get rid of the issues. Nothing else will. Otherwise, you're going to chase your tail trying to diagnose all the weird stuff it comes up with. You'll easter egg until you're out of money and it will still have issues. You'll send the car off to the scrap yard when the only thing it needs is to be driven. You need to drive it. Drive it. Drive it. Drive it. Every day. Everywhere. Every time.

87roach
06-28-2011, 11:38 AM
What do you charge for endorsements snooze?

88lxi-shortram
06-28-2011, 02:45 PM
i drive it everyday i can. but the problem is i have no insurance so all i can get is neighborhood drving which consists of stop and go 10-50 pulls and then to a dead stop to turn around

Dr_Snooz
06-28-2011, 09:01 PM
What do you charge for endorsements snooze?

Sorry. I'm not trying to be a jerk. This car keeps having strange issues that I suspect will go away if it gets driven regularly. Maybe I'm talking to myself more than anyone else. I've spent a lot of time diagnosing stuff that just went away when I started driving the car regularly. Sorry 88lxi-shortram. I didn't mean to come across so severely.

88lxi-shortram
06-29-2011, 06:01 AM
. Sorry 88lxi-shortram. I didn't mean to come across so severely.

its cool i totally know what youre saying the only problem is all i can get is short term drivingwhich consists of 5 to 10 min driving and i cant actually get a good variety of driving in my situation. also i remember reading that driving a car short trips like i do can contaminate your oil with gas and my oils had a gassy smell to it for a while now. it makes since because all ive ever gotten was short trips so thats that problem. but there are problems that i will have to diagnose such as my headlight issue, and everything else... but one quick question, the radaitor fan one the drivers side of the radiator is activated by the a/c correct? if so should i just take it out since i have no a/c

87roach
06-29-2011, 11:45 AM
Haha man, I wasn't trying to say you're being negative or anything. I can agree with you're method so I know where you're coming from.

2oodoor
06-30-2011, 01:21 PM
Haha man, I wasn't trying to say you're being negative or anything. I can agree with you're method so I know where you're coming from.

X2
and shortram, exactly what wires are NOT supposed to be soldered?
LOL, sounded funny is all.

High amperage circuits should be soldered, lighting and anything going to a relay for sure.
Injector wires not all that high amperage, but like cygnus said, the enviornment there above the manifold is rather severe so the best available connection is in order.

CEL coming on after reverse then going away sounds like another connection issue somewhere to me