PDA

View Full Version : Weak Alternator?

1989se-i
10-14-2002, 11:01 AM
Whenever i have my radio on, then turn on the heater, my rasio gets quiter. Same thing happens when i turn on my neon lights.

Is that normal?

89AccordNate
10-14-2002, 11:23 AM
I think.......you need a new car.

Nate.

1989se-i
10-14-2002, 06:11 PM
:( i like my car

smufguy
10-14-2002, 08:27 PM
HAHAHA, nate is being himself. dont be sad buddy. we know u love ur sexy Se-i buggy. so anyways, check ur battery first. see if it needs replacement. usually they are the culprit at first.

DanG86LX
10-15-2002, 09:06 AM
Since both radio & heater are under dashboard, they might share same grounding.. Check the wiring to chassis. Same may apply to the hot wiring though, check ur wiring diagrams.

1989se-i
10-16-2002, 10:28 AM
I forgot i posted this :P

I got the battery about a month ago. One of car buds thinks its the alternator because: it also idles rough, and its 13 years old

How much will an alternator cost, and whats all this talk about alternator pullies?

PS: Im glad im not the only one that thinks the 3G's are sexy :bh:

1988starter
10-16-2002, 10:52 AM
80.99 for mine ans an hour of my time

shepherd79
10-16-2002, 11:55 AM
about alternator pulleys. when i took my alternator off on my 86 it had 5 grooves (4 teeth as i call it), but when i pulled from 88 it had 4 grooves (3 teeth) on it. so i had to buy a belt for 88 alternator because i didn't realised that untill i 88 alternator into my 86 accord.

Coroncho80
10-16-2002, 02:19 PM
Dude, I upgraded my alternator like 6 months ago to 160 oms. The factory alt. I think it brings 65 oms. since I have a system with two amps and bla, bla, bla (no need to get into the system topic), plus my fog lights and some other stuff that was sucking energy like crazy; the iddle was kind of rough too. When i used to come to a complete stop, the lights used to dim down. I hated that. The whole thing costed me $300 and warranty for 12 months. Ever since then, I haven't had ANY problems with that. I blast my system and the car iddles like nothing. I think it was worth it. Just be careful where you take it. Oh, did i said that they polished the alt too? well they did. It looks nice. It's a shame its all the way in the back of the engine and its not that visible.

I also got a new battery with higher CC (crank something). Just try to get one with over 1000 cc. If somebody knows what I'm talking about, give me a hand here. I hope this could help you man. and hey! be proude of your SEi, I'm dawm proude of mines! :cool:

luis1578
10-16-2002, 04:22 PM
hey guys im having a similar situation with my lxi. I think mines might be the altenator. When I was driving my cd player just skiped a beat and restarted itself where it left off, then when I parked and came back to turn the car on the battery was dead!!!
I had to get a jump start to get it home, now I went to Auto Zone yesterday to get a new battery and they did a diagnostic check and the battery was brand new. They said it just needed to be cleaned so I cleaned it now this happened. Now I got 2 amps and a decent system in there. Can anybody help me out with some suggestions??????????

Coroncho80
10-16-2002, 04:26 PM
Luis, I'll say either upgrade your alt. or get another battery and put it in the trunk for your system.

luis1578
10-16-2002, 04:55 PM
thanks coroncho, I'm gona go tomorrow and get a new alt...What kind of alt would fit in there????

Coroncho80
10-16-2002, 05:08 PM
If you think something is wrong with you alt. just get it rebuilt. It's like $70. Cheaper than a NEW alt. You gotta think about that; if you still gonna have all that shit on the car, what makes you think that its not gonna go again? if it goes again, just get a stronger battey or upgrade your alt. or get another battery and throw it to the trunk just for the system.