PDA

View Full Version : has anyone done this?

jcube_04
06-05-2011, 08:24 AM
so im looking at the rubber hose that comes off my a20a3 valve cover and goes through my intake manifold and back down to the oil pan. what is this and is it essential to the running of the motor or car i delete it? and if i can delete how do i do that?. sorry for the million questions and thanks

lostforawhile
06-05-2011, 12:59 PM
so im looking at the rubber hose that comes off my a20a3 valve cover and goes through my intake manifold and back down to the oil pan. what is this and is it essential to the running of the motor or car i delete it? and if i can delete how do i do that?. sorry for the million questions and thanks

you need to keep this, this is part of your pcv system and is important to keeping your oil clean,why would you want to delete it?

jcube_04
06-05-2011, 06:58 PM
simply for aesthetic value. i dont like the way that box and hose sticking out of my oil pan looks. also it would make sense to run pcv from the valve cover straight to the intake manifold like many other vehicles that use a pcv valve

lostforawhile
06-05-2011, 07:40 PM
simply for aesthetic value. i dont like the way that box and hose sticking out of my oil pan looks. also it would make sense to run pcv from the valve cover straight to the intake manifold like many other vehicles that use a pcv valve
the air travels from the valve cover, down through the engine, is picked up at the back of the oil pan, and goes through an oil separator box, the black box, then up to the intake and through the PCV valve,it's an excellent system and works very well

jcube_04
06-05-2011, 10:01 PM
i understand the concept of positive crankcase ventilation, i guess im curious as to why they didnt use the pcv valve in the valve cover or the intake manifold like the 92 civic d15. i probably shouldnt mess with something that works just the way it is i suppose

lostforawhile
06-05-2011, 10:36 PM
i understand the concept of positive crankcase ventilation, i guess im curious as to why they didnt use the pcv valve in the valve cover or the intake manifold like the 92 civic d15. i probably shouldnt mess with something that works just the way it is i suppose

they sell an aftermarket system just like the one you have now for the later cars, the newer systems aren't very good, the reason it's not attached to the valve cover, is you want clean air to circulate through the entire engine removing blowby gasses,

jcube_04
06-06-2011, 05:53 AM
one reason i wanted to change it is because the lower intake side of that hose broke and blew up my motor cause it dumped all the oil out so that setup scares me but this new used motor i have is in pretty good shape so i probably dont need to worry about it

lostforawhile
06-06-2011, 01:11 PM
one reason i wanted to change it is because the lower intake side of that hose broke and blew up my motor cause it dumped all the oil out so that setup scares me but this new used motor i have is in pretty good shape so i probably dont need to worry about it

how in the world did that dump out all your oil? the inlet of the hose is above the oil level,at the top of the pan,

2oodoor
06-06-2011, 01:22 PM
I am not really all that sure you know exactly how PCV works jcube, it is evident in your posts.
I strongly recommend NOT eliminating the oil separator and plumbing from the engine. PVC valve operates of direct manifold vacuum which passes thru a pre metered valve to have just the right amount of pull to suck blow by air and fumes out of the oil pan. DE presserized the crankcase so as not to let it become an air storage tank so to speak.

jcube_04
06-08-2011, 07:10 AM
im not really sure what im saying wrong that shows i dont understand how pcv works. i get that it releases pressurinzed crankcase gases and fumes. all i was curiouse about was it someone had eliminated it and put a better system in because i fear having it break and the problem i had with my old motor reoccur with my new one. im not sure how all the oil was lost by that system breaking but that was the cause of my old motors death. the reason i was curious about it was because ive seen 87 roach's motor setup and it looks like he simply has a breather on his valve cover but i could be looking at it wrong. im at the wrecking yard for the next two hours so if anyone absolutely needs anything text or call jeremy at 5092370575

lostforawhile
06-08-2011, 01:00 PM
im not really sure what im saying wrong that shows i dont understand how pcv works. i get that it releases pressurinzed crankcase gases and fumes. all i was curiouse about was it someone had eliminated it and put a better system in because i fear having it break and the problem i had with my old motor reoccur with my new one. im not sure how all the oil was lost by that system breaking but that was the cause of my old motors death. the reason i was curious about it was because ive seen 87 roach's motor setup and it looks like he simply has a breather on his valve cover but i could be looking at it wrong. im at the wrecking yard for the next two hours so if anyone absolutely needs anything text or call jeremy at 5092370575

the pcv system on this car is excellent, there really isn't a way to improve it, other then adding a catch can between the oil separator box and pcv valve, I'm not sure what caused your engine failure, but I can't think of any way that system could have caused you to lose all your oil. the inlet at the oil pan is well above the oil level.

Dr_Snooz
06-09-2011, 08:04 AM
If the lower hose broke, it could dump a lot of oil if you were driving when it happened. If you only had the stock oil dummy light to warn you of low oil pressure, you could blow an engine pretty easily that way. Most of the rubber in the PCV system never gets checked or replaced, so after 20+ years of driving, it is crumbling, leaking or otherwise failing on just about every 3g. I had to replace pretty much my entire PCV system when I pulled my engine because it all just kinda disintegrated the moment I touched it.

The design of the system is actually quite good, but like anything, it won't last forever without some additional care. In your case, jcube, the problem was a ruptured lower hose. A ruptured coolant hose could also have blown your engine but you wouldn't try to redesign the cooling system if that happened. You just need to check your hoses (and belts, for that matter) regularly and replace them when they get tired.

Hope that helps.

lostforawhile
06-09-2011, 01:12 PM
If the lower hose broke, it could dump a lot of oil if you were driving when it happened. If you only had the stock oil dummy light to warn you of low oil pressure, you could blow an engine pretty easily that way. Most of the rubber in the PCV system never gets checked or replaced, so after 20+ years of driving, it is crumbling, leaking or otherwise failing on just about every 3g. I had to replace pretty much my entire PCV system when I pulled my engine because it all just kinda disintegrated the moment I touched it.

The design of the system is actually quite good, but like anything, it won't last forever without some additional care. In your case, jcube, the problem was a ruptured lower hose. A ruptured coolant hose could also have blown your engine but you wouldn't try to redesign the cooling system if that happened. You just need to check your hoses (and belts, for that matter) regularly and replace them when they get tired.

Hope that helps.
the lower hose won't dump oil, it may look like it is, but it's just got some condensed oil in it from blowby, the connection to that hose is way on the top of the pan next to the flange, it's well above the oil level

jcube_04
06-09-2011, 06:59 PM
it got there somehow i just didnt see any other explanation. that hose was broken on the underside of the intake manifold and oil covered everything but the block strangely enough. i realize there was probably some other major issue contributing to the dumping of the oil out of those passageways. when i grabbed the head and intake manifold to pull them off the hoses literally fell apart lol

lostforawhile
06-10-2011, 12:48 PM
it got there somehow i just didnt see any other explanation. that hose was broken on the underside of the intake manifold and oil covered everything but the block strangely enough. i realize there was probably some other major issue contributing to the dumping of the oil out of those passageways. when i grabbed the head and intake manifold to pull them off the hoses literally fell apart lol

some oil is in the blow by, it's engine blowby of course it's oily, but nothing in that system handles liquid oil, the box on the back of the box lets oil condense back out, as some oil gets turned into mist in the engine but not anywhere near enough oil to cause the engine to fail, the outlet on the oil pan is no where near the oil

jcube_04
07-01-2011, 12:47 PM
sorry to thread jump but why is the se-i master cylinder necessary for the rear disc swap if the proportioning valve regulates the fluid pressure?