PDA

View Full Version : Rear Hatch Interior Cover image...

89HatchbackLxi
06-07-2011, 06:53 PM
I've been searching for the folding interior hatch piece (the thing that covers up what's in the trunk so people can't look in and see the trunk's contents) for a few days now, but I can't find it anywhere online! I'm guessing it would probably just be easier to make my own, but, I can't even find any images of a hatchback that has one in it, at least not any images from an angle where this piece is visible in the car.

However, I'm guessing at least ONE person on 3geez has this piece on their hatchback, so can someone help me out and put up a picture of what the piece looks like so I can use it as a guide when I make my own? Even just a clear shot of the piece through the hatchback window would be extremely helpful...

SkateK610
06-07-2011, 09:28 PM
I got both pieces, ill try to get a few pics up soon

mykwikcoupe
06-07-2011, 09:54 PM
It really help to list a color or maybe I missed that part. the hatches came in a few colors and they are hard to find in certain colors. Since this will probably get a few views I am looking for both rear pieces in black. They only came in the 88 phoenix red hatch of 1988. If anyone can find please let me know Id be more then ready to pay

89HatchbackLxi
06-08-2011, 06:23 AM
I got both pieces, ill try to get a few pics up soon

Thank you!

SkateK610
06-08-2011, 09:04 AM
http://i55.tinypic.com/17wm4x.jpg

King Peetis
06-08-2011, 03:49 PM
I'll post some pics soon. Why dont you put out an APB on the site and ask someone to sell you one? Im sure these guys have one laying around somewhere. I know I have a piece or two

lostforawhile
06-08-2011, 04:17 PM
those pieces are really hard to find, they come in black or gray i think, if it's gray, it's flat carpet like material,so very easy to dye black with spray dye, if you dismantle it, you can carefully peel off the material and recover it, what I did was cover the recessed area with a thin sheet of aluminum first, then covered over it. it's easier to do and looks much cleaner, the back piece that goes up and down with the hatch is very easy to make, the main thing is making sure you have the two brackets

SkateK610
06-08-2011, 06:39 PM
I got the other bracket just not on it, as for the other cover, its original burgundy color just like the rest of the interior

89HatchbackLxi
06-09-2011, 06:43 AM
Thanks for posting the pic, man. The top piece is the part I'm missing of the two. Wasn't sure how the piece was attached but in the pic I can see now that there's a latch on it that connects it to the hatch. Gonna check the junkyard Saturday to see if I can find one there and then if I can't find one, I'm gonna get started on making one.

Dr_Snooz
06-09-2011, 07:45 AM
those pieces are really hard to find, they come in black or gray i think, if it's gray, it's flat carpet like material,so very easy to dye black with spray dye, if you dismantle it, you can carefully peel off the material and recover it, what I did was cover the recessed area with a thin sheet of aluminum first, then covered over it. it's easier to do and looks much cleaner, the back piece that goes up and down with the hatch is very easy to make, the main thing is making sure you have the two brackets

Threadjack up ahead:

Lost, do you have any suggestions for the trunk floor? The factory spare tire cover is 1/4" masonite that long ago stopped supporting anything. I screwed some more wood to mine, but now it's so ghetto it embarrasses me. Do you have any thoughts for making a better one?

mykwikcoupe
06-09-2011, 08:36 AM
I traced the original design onto another stringer piece of 1/4in wood. I crewed the opriginal hardware to the new piece and it holds like new and looks even better. I used a piece of 1/4in laminated plywood