PDA

View Full Version : chime's

jlaccord89lxi
10-14-2002, 01:06 PM
when you open your door to get out of the car and you have either left your lights on or left your keys in the ignition (or both), you hear those 2 chime noises...i'd attempt to replicate them in words, but i won't. Anyway, recently, the chime for the key in the ignition started to sound garbled. It would either be garbled for a few seconds then chime normally, or it would just die and make no noise. Chances are, the one for the lights did the same thing, but i always have my lights off before i open my door. Anyway, now neither chime is sounding. I'ts obviously a loose connection somewhere, but where? Is the noisemaker that greyish box under the dash behind the stereo? Any ideas what else it might be if not that box? :confused:

socal3rdgen
10-14-2002, 01:14 PM
yep thats it

jlaccord89lxi
10-14-2002, 01:29 PM
i unplugged the plug that goes to the back of that box, then plugged it back in and there is still no chimeing. Where else are there plugs along the lines under the dash that i could check. What would make this box stop working?

socal3rdgen
10-14-2002, 01:31 PM
personally i dont like the noise. cant really halp anymore dont know much about it

1989se-i
10-14-2002, 06:12 PM
i unplugged mine also

88WhiteLX-i
10-14-2002, 08:12 PM
So what the hell is that gray box underneath the middle near the stereo??

winkie45
10-14-2002, 10:55 PM
maybe the thingy in your door jam is loose. when you open the door, the thingy slides out and grounds the wire for the chimy thingy. ya know? i don't know what its called. but that black thing that makes the lights go on when you open the door.

jlaccord89lxi
10-15-2002, 05:27 AM
no, my "door switch" works fine, the door light comes on and so does the light on the dash indicating an open door. It has to be something in the wiring to the chime box. Either that or the chime box is toast...if it is dead, it should have just died and not gradually faded out.

socal3rdgen
10-15-2002, 08:13 AM
if it was dying it would gradually die out like a horn. My chimes dies out on my 92 accord and it sounded like that.

Stefi-blueLX
10-15-2002, 12:52 PM
Hey man, I'm having the SAME problem except my chime NEVER worked. I haven't checked the gray box out yet. But I have a question, my door lights don't work and does it have anything to do with that gray box?

socal3rdgen
10-15-2002, 01:08 PM
Pop the cover on the lens of your door lights. and remove the bulb it kinda looks like a fuse but its a lightbulb. Then take it to a auto store and ask them compare or ask them which one you should get. Im really not sure of which EXACT model number you ned but any autozone or the like will have the right bulb. happy hunting

socal3rdgen
10-15-2002, 01:09 PM
oh sorry i dont think that that box has anything to do with your lights.

jlaccord89lxi
10-15-2002, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Stefi-blueLX
Hey man, I'm having the SAME problem except my chime NEVER worked. I haven't checked the gray box out yet. But I have a question, my door lights don't work and does it have anything to do with that gray box?

if your door light AND your chimes don't work, then it is probably your door switch (mounted on the frame on the door jam). That switch does a lot of stuff...when the door opens, that switch pops out and turns on the door light, the light on the dash (indicating the door is open), it chimes one way to tell you your lights are on, and , finally, it chimes another way to tell you the keys are still in the ignition. Just open your door and see if it pops out. If it doesn't, flick it out by hand and see if all these things happen. To answer your question though, that box is turned on by the door switch, so if the door lights don't work, that is not caused by the grey box, that would be caused by the door switch. To fix it, all you have to do is take off the door switch and clean it up and lubricate it. I've had to do it to all the hondas i've had, it's fairly easy to figure out how it works...but don't lose the plug behind it, that's a bitch to get back out.......you'll see what i mean

Stefi-blueLX
10-15-2002, 09:03 PM
Hey thanks! I'll be checkin it out tomorrow. It's just one of those little things that REALLY bother me. I checked my door lights, and well my back door one's work, but not the front. :confused: I'll figure it out. Anyway just wanted to say thanks :bow:

guaynabo89
10-16-2002, 08:30 AM
The chime is located behind the cover underneath the steering column.

markmdz89hatch
10-16-2002, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by guaynabo89
The chime is located behind the cover underneath the steering column.

yep, that's what I was gonna say too. ...I disconnected mine for the doors, but the light chime is still active (saves my battery from time2time.)

So what the hell is that little grey box under the stereo?

jlaccord89lxi
10-16-2002, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by markmdz89hatch

yep, that's what I was gonna say too. ...I disconnected mine for the doors, but the light chime is still active (saves my battery from time2time.)

So what the hell is that little grey box under the stereo?

wait a minute......i thought the grey box under the stereo was the thing that made the chimeing noises??????!!!!?????? Are you guys talking about those 2 small wired black boxes that are actually screwed to the plastic steering column cover underneath the dash? if you are, then i know exactly what your talking about......let me know please :help:

socal3rdgen
10-16-2002, 10:53 AM
as i understood it the grey box underneath the radio was the chime box?

dj99
10-16-2002, 11:01 AM
The headlight on chime and illumination dimmer box (with vent holes) is under the steering column.

The box behind the stereo is the "integrated control unit" that has the door open dinger as well as other important functions.

Among other things, it controls the seat belt warning lights, door open warning lights. I think it has something to do with lighting too.

We have actually been over this before. You can do a search for "integrated control unit" on 3geez.

jlaccord89lxi
10-16-2002, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by dj99
The headlight on chime and illumination dimmer box (with vent holes) is under the steering column.

The box behind the stereo is the "integrated control unit" that has the door open dinger as well as other important functions.

Among other things, it controls the seat belt warning lights, door open warning lights. I think it has something to do with lighting too.

We have actually been over this before. You can do a search for "integrated control unit" on 3geez.

if this is the case and it is actually 2 separate boxes that control the 2 different chimes, how do you explain why both the "key in ignition" chime and the "headlight-on" chime both went (stopped working) at the same time when my door switch is working just fine??? I wouldn't say that is a coincedence!!!

dj99
10-16-2002, 12:45 PM
The control unit turns the chime on/off. The chime is located under the steering column so that you are more likely to hear it before you leave the car.

BTW, the control unit controls your side marker and parking lights as well as your hazards!

dj99
10-16-2002, 01:00 PM
Just to be sure, check fuse #10 in your under hood fuse box.

jlaccord89lxi
10-16-2002, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by dj99
Just to be sure, check fuse #10 in your under hood fuse box.

thanks man, i will definitely check that fuse. Its just that it didn't just work one day then not the next. There were a few times that it sounded garbled, then it died, so it was kinda gradual.

jlaccord89lxi
10-17-2002, 04:42 PM
it made a slight chime "burb" tonight...i got to get at it on the weekend!!!!