PDA

View Full Version : Hub troubles!!

Oregons finest
06-10-2011, 12:02 AM
So I'm about to change my hub bearing and maybe the hub if it's too damaged and the hubs a s.o.b so is a slide hammer the best method? I have the brake calibor off, the rotor off, the (32mm or 1 1/4inch) nut off. Now just attach slide hammer and have at it tell she comes out, then place the new bearing on the hub square as possible and use that (32mm or 1 1/4inch) nut and the axle as a press to press the new bearing?

The car is an 1989 accord lx-i.
Any advise welcomed, thanks. Goodday.

cygnus x-1
06-11-2011, 01:00 PM
Generally you would take the entire knuckle assembly off and use a press to remove the spindle and bearings, but you *might* be able to do it on the car. Pull the axle out of the spindle to get it out of the way first. Easiest way to do that is to pop the lower ball joint out. Then of course you'll have to put the LBJ back so you can use the slide hammer to get the spindle out. Once the spindle is out you'll need a bearing puller of some kind. I suppose if they're toasted already you could try driving them out with a hammer and punch or rod. If you do get them out you then have to press in the new ones.

If you're good (and lucky) you might be able to pull this off, but honestly you can save yourself a lot of trouble but pulling the whole knuckle off and taking it to a shop to have them remove the old bearings and press in new ones.

C|

lostforawhile
06-11-2011, 05:29 PM
Generally you would take the entire knuckle assembly off and use a press to remove the spindle and bearings, but you *might* be able to do it on the car. Pull the axle out of the spindle to get it out of the way first. Easiest way to do that is to pop the lower ball joint out. Then of course you'll have to put the LBJ back so you can use the slide hammer to get the spindle out. Once the spindle is out you'll need a bearing puller of some kind. I suppose if they're toasted already you could try driving them out with a hammer and punch or rod. If you do get them out you then have to press in the new ones.

If you're good (and lucky) you might be able to pull this off, but honestly you can save yourself a lot of trouble but pulling the whole knuckle off and taking it to a shop to have them remove the old bearings and press in new ones.

C|you need to take the knuckles off and do it off the car, it's hard enough to get them out with a press, also you need a big pair of circlip pliers to remove the big circlip , it needs to come out before removing the bearing. also while the knuckles are out, replace the lower ball joints, this is the time to do it

Dr_Snooz
06-11-2011, 08:08 PM
also while the knuckles are out, replace the lower ball joints, this is the time to do it

^^^ This.