PDA

View Full Version : Short Shifter

89HatchAzn
10-14-2002, 01:16 PM
I don't know whether to put this in Appearance or performance.

Anyways, is it possible to put like a civic shifter or some other honda shifter in the 3geez. What I'm talkin' about is puttin' a aftermarket short shift made for a civic into the 3geez. Maybe integra? How about a newer Accord? Please give some feed back.

Site
10-14-2002, 03:01 PM
I don't know about an Integra or Civic shifter, but Pacesetter makes an adj throw shifter for our cars. I think www.cyberauto.com has them at a good price.

jlaccord89lxi
10-14-2002, 04:08 PM
i heard that one from a 88-91 civic will work in ours. But someone will have to back me up on that.............

86AccordLxi
10-14-2002, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by jlaccord89lxi
i heard that one from a 88-91 civic will work in ours. But someone will have to back me up on that.............

I think that's it's an 84-87 civic (?). Not 100% sure though.

Alex

anchovies
10-14-2002, 06:18 PM
I thought only the bushings from the 84-87 civic will work not the shifter. But I might be wrong. Cross reference pacesetter's part #s.

whiteboy
10-14-2002, 08:08 PM
just buy the pacesetter one ? y go thru all this trouble

Jordan

si accord
10-14-2002, 08:12 PM
i wanna know if they 88-91 civic short throw will work, cuz they have them at the local auto store, and i'd like to have one, thanks

88LXi68
10-14-2002, 08:34 PM
I have a 83-87 prelude one in my car.

jlaccord89lxi
10-15-2002, 05:34 AM
Originally posted by whiteboy
just buy the pacesetter one ? y go thru all this trouble

Jordan

someone said the pacesetter one was garbage for one reason or another.

88LXI68: did the prelude one need any modification or did it bolt right in?

88LXi68
10-15-2002, 11:33 AM
no modifications. Also it is a Pacesetter adjustable one.

anchovies
10-15-2002, 12:13 PM
So why did you get the prelude one instead when they also make one for our cars??

88LXi68
10-15-2002, 02:07 PM
well first, I converted to 5spd. I used the 2g Prelude Si tranny and got a whole box of prelude parts. 1 of those parts were the 2g Shift rods. So, I thought I would need the 2g short shifter. Turns out I couldnt use them but I had already got a BRAND NEW pacesetter short shifter on EBAY for $20. I did the swap and didnt install it. Finally, I called Pacesetter up and asked if it was compatiable. Turns out its pretty much the same exact thing except for the the bend in the lever. The prelude one is more straight.

jlaccord89lxi
10-15-2002, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by 88LXi68
well first, I converted to 5spd. I used the 2g Prelude Si tranny and got a whole box of prelude parts. 1 of those parts were the 2g Shift rods. So, I thought I would need the 2g short shifter. Turns out I couldnt use them but I had already got a BRAND NEW pacesetter short shifter on EBAY for $20. I did the swap and didnt install it. Finally, I called Pacesetter up and asked if it was compatiable. Turns out its pretty much the same exact thing except for the the bend in the lever. The prelude one is more straight.

i just really don't like the pacesetter one because it doesn't look very solid so it doesn't look durable. Does it feel solid when yer shifting? Ever have any problems?

iiviasterp
10-15-2002, 04:15 PM
ive got the pacesetter shifter and i love it, only problem ive had was that i had it too low and it rattled off my exhaust, other then that i highly recomend it, i feel its one of those must have mods for a 5-speed, makes shiftin alot quicker and alot better feel, nopionline.com has it for like 49 bucks.... id pick one up if i were u

jlaccord89lxi
10-16-2002, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by iiviasterp
ive got the pacesetter shifter and i love it, only problem ive had was that i had it too low and it rattled off my exhaust, other then that i highly recomend it, i feel its one of those must have mods for a 5-speed, makes shiftin alot quicker and alot better feel, nopionline.com has it for like 49 bucks.... id pick one up if i were u

this is the problem that i heard about it. How low do you have it then.......? What's the point of it being fully adjustable if your gonna hav it bouncing off of something. I wouldn't want to install it and then have to take it out again to adjust it.

Mike's89AccordLX
10-16-2002, 06:28 AM
I agree with jlaccord89lxi. I just want to have it and not adjust it.

iiviasterp
10-16-2002, 08:23 AM
i had it WAY to low..... and you dont have to take it out to adjust it, it took me and my buddy about 5 minutes to adjust it to the right height........ you all can be skeptical that dont have it, but im tellin you right now, its well worth the little money that it is

jlaccord89lxi
10-16-2002, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by iiviasterp
i had it WAY to low..... and you dont have to take it out to adjust it, it took me and my buddy about 5 minutes to adjust it to the right height........ you all can be skeptical that dont have it, but im tellin you right now, its well worth the little money that it is

i'm not being skeptiacl, i just don't want to spend my money on something that isn't going to wpork properly. So i'm assumeing by your enthusiasm that it does provide very short distances between shifts even though it is not all the way down?

oldriceracer
10-23-2002, 10:13 AM
how hard is it to install one, i get paid tomorrow and i think i just might get one! i just dont want my car not running for a whole day or so tryin to get the freakin shifter in

dXsquared
10-23-2002, 02:32 PM
i have a stock lude shifter. its out of my lude parts car.

Travis

iiviasterp
10-23-2002, 05:39 PM
its not that bad to install it, it was alittle more difficult then we thougth it would be, you have to go in through under the car obvioulsy and you have to take the heat shield out to get to the shifter, we were lazy when we got done and didnt put the heat shield back on, but its not that hard, should take someone that knows what their doin about 45 minutes to install, after doin mine, a few months later we put one in a civic, took us about a half hour, but yea to address the other question, it does provide short and precise shifts.... like ive said before, i think its a must have for a 5-speed. hope that helps

MyGarbageLXi
10-23-2002, 05:46 PM
id really like to do this but the Syncro on my Second gear is Roundd and its ghetto grindy style when i shift into it, think a short sifter is hte way to go stillll?

Mike's89AccordLX
10-23-2002, 07:44 PM
My brother just bought a civic short shifter for his integra. He wants me to install it for free. hahaha yeah right. I would try to install mine for free. I don't work for free unless it's for my ride. So, does anyone know what civic short shifter works with an 89 accord lx? I really don't want to go with the pacesetter one.

GreenMachine
10-23-2002, 08:15 PM
So a 83-87 lude short shift kit is the one i'd be lookin for ? correct

88LXi68
10-23-2002, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by GreenMachine
So a 83-87 lude short shift kit is the one i'd be lookin for ? correct

It works too but you can get the Accord one as well. The problem with the Pacesetter is the whole adjustable shit. If you put it the ball alll the way up top the shifts are real short but really hard to make let alone make the shift fast. Plus it hits the heat shield. Mine is set at like 3/4s and I banged the heat shield around a bit so it only hits it when I go to 5th or Reverse. No biggie. At 3/4s it is really nice. Still short, precise throws but much faster than before. The adjustable thing is a pain though if you dont set it right the first time. I may experiment with the stock shifter by cutting it just below the ball. this will give it the short throw but it will not hit the heat shield at all since the WHOLE assembly will be shorter.

89HatchAzn
10-23-2002, 10:51 PM
Chech this out....YOu know how the 84-87 civic shifter works the same as ours....I found a couple of site that has a DC shoft shifter for the 84-87 civic....you think it would work???? I can't seem to find the lowest price on the DC one.

http://secure15.dellhost.com/~d30022975/short_shifters.htm

It should be toward the bottom.

Mike's89AccordLX
10-24-2002, 07:55 AM
Someone please confirm the DC sport short shifters. I want a short shifter badly. That would be sweet to get. What year civics will work for our cars?????

88LXi68
10-24-2002, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by 89HatchAzn
Chech this out....YOu know how the 84-87 civic shifter works the same as ours....I found a couple of site that has a DC shoft shifter for the 84-87 civic....you think it would work???? I can't seem to find the lowest price on the DC one.

http://secure15.dellhost.com/~d30022975/short_shifters.htm

It should be toward the bottom.

it should, I dont see why it wouldnt.