PDA

View Full Version : What is this only mark on my flywheel for?

firefighterwhite89
06-16-2011, 04:55 PM
OK, before anyone goes all red paint mark and white paint mark, this car is an '86 LXi, and has NO paint marks on the flywheel anywhere. Just has a line stamped on it. but more like this -----+-. No paint. Is this TDC for the bottom end? Here's a pic, i colored the line and pointer red for better visibility.
http://i875.photobucket.com/albums/ab320/firefighterwhite89/a20timingbottomend.jpg
That line is the ONLY mark on my flywheel whatsoever.

88LXi68
06-16-2011, 06:30 PM
Top Dead Center for setting the timing assuming no one has removed the flywheel and put it back on differently.

firefighterwhite89
06-16-2011, 07:54 PM
I thought there was only 1 way to put the flywheel on as to where it'd fit...Like a singular dowel on the FW or Crank. I Can't remember...:(

AZmike
06-16-2011, 09:19 PM
I thought there was only 1 way to put the flywheel on as to where it'd fit...Like a singular dowel on the FW or Crank. I Can't remember...:(

Both of the '89s that I've had the flywheel off had the off center dowel pin.

Dr_Snooz
06-17-2011, 10:44 AM
My aftermarket replacement flywheel had no markings whatsoever. I had to make them by sighting from my old drive plate.

2oodoor
06-17-2011, 12:14 PM
yes that would be TDC for the crank

firefighterwhite89
06-18-2011, 11:29 AM
yes that would be TDC for the crank

So line the + mark with the pointer and cam gear "up" aligned with the valve cover studs?
I put on a new Fel Pro head gasket Wednesday and after lining up the marks and putting the timing belt and tensioner on.
I checked i did right by turning the Crank bolt and the motor seems to bind...Like valve-piston contact :(
After three tries...Here i am. lol. :wtf:
Hell no i haven't attempted cranking it yet, if you're wondering. lol

lostforawhile
06-18-2011, 11:45 AM
So line the + mark with the pointer and cam gear "up" aligned with the valve cover studs?
I put on a new Fel Pro head gasket Wednesday and after lining up the marks and putting the timing belt and tensioner on.
I checked i did right by turning the Crank bolt and the motor seems to bind...Like valve-piston contact :(
After three tries...Here i am. lol. :wtf:
Hell no i haven't attempted cranking it yet, if you're wondering. lol

the word up should be facing up, with the pointer lined up, and the marks on the cam gear will align with the edges of the head