PDA

View Full Version : timing belt

rocketman
06-17-2011, 04:17 AM
I thought that I would take a look at my owners manual for my '89 Accord regarding timing belt replacement . . . the timing belt isn't even mentioned in the book . . . no kidding! I've been doing the 6-year/60,000 . . . any thoughts? Rocketman

Dr_Snooz
06-17-2011, 05:40 AM
Yeah, the owner's manual and service manual don't mention it at all. The 4g manual calls for replacement at 90k miles. Most dealerships recommend 60k. I think 60k was the interval for older Hondas (1g & 2g), but I could be misremembering. I usually get scared around 60k and replace mine, but 90k should be fine if you're using a good Gates belt.

w261w261
06-17-2011, 06:09 AM
I do 60k on the belt, water pump etc., although I bet I'm way too conservative, just like 3k oil changes. 90k is probably fine, .....probably.

In any case, although Gates says our engines are interference, there seems to be ample experience that they aren't. So if the belt goes, the worst you're looking at is walking home, .....probably.

DBMaster
06-17-2011, 06:22 AM
90K is fine. That's what I've been using since I learned that 60K was the old interval. I am coming up on my fourth change. I'll be doing it after the hot weather leaves us.

rocketman
06-17-2011, 07:47 AM
I was really surprised that the owners manual didn't even mention it. So then I pulled out my Haynes . . . it doesn't list an interval (time or miles) for replacement and doesn't even list it as a maintenance item. Go figure! Makes me wonder if my PIA 60k replacement is necessary. Rocketman

rocketman
06-17-2011, 09:13 AM
I wonder if the 3g '89 engine really is an interference. Funny neither Honda nor Haynes mentions the interval and the "bent valve" syndrome when the belt fails. Hmmmm. Rocketman

Dr_Snooz
06-17-2011, 11:08 AM
We've had numerous belts fail on the board. The engines were always just fine. I think it's safe to say that they aren't interference. Assuming of course, that you haven't shaved the head or done other mods to bump the compression.

BrokenBone
06-17-2011, 01:59 PM
How much is it to replace timing belt and waterpump? Do you guys go to a mechanic or is it easy enough to do your self?

DBMaster
06-17-2011, 02:30 PM
Regardless of who does it I recommend sticking with a Honda OEM water pump. The bearing/seal design is patented and I had a brand new NAPA pump (that actually cost more than the Honda pump) with a worn out bearing and seal at 18 months. The last time I had mine done was 2006 and it cost me around $350. I had them change the thermostat as a preventive measure. I did it myself the two times before that and it took about four hours. It's not an awful job, but not a job for a novice, either. Expect to spend somewhere near $150 for parts if you do it yourself. I use only Honda OEM (Bando) or Gates belts. Replacing all three drive belts is part of the job.

BrokenBone
06-17-2011, 06:03 PM
Regardless of who does it I recommend sticking with a Honda OEM water pump. The bearing/seal design is patented and I had a brand new NAPA pump (that actually cost more than the Honda pump) with a worn out bearing and seal at 18 months. The last time I had mine done was 2006 and it cost me around $350. I had them change the thermostat as a preventive measure. I did it myself the two times before that and it took about four hours. It's not an awful job, but not a job for a novice, either. Expect to spend somewhere near $150 for parts if you do it yourself. I use only Honda OEM (Bando) or Gates belts. Replacing all three drive belts is part of the job.

$350, was that with oem or napa water pump?

88Accord-DX
06-17-2011, 08:50 PM
Most import vehicles OEM timing belts will last about 90-100k miles before you need to start to worry. Manufactures recommend "their" service limit for timing belts for liability reasons more or less, because import engines are all interference design that I know of. This particular 86-89 Accord has a 60k miles interval which is real conservative.
Very rare occasions do you have any valve damage done when the belt breaks on these vehicles. Personally, I would change out the tensioner pulley, front crankshaft seal, water pump/t-stat, & would consider oil pump depending on milage. (camshaft seal optional)

MessyHonda
06-19-2011, 05:24 PM
yeah get OEM all the way

DBMaster
06-19-2011, 07:43 PM
Sorry, I have been away from the forum a couple of days. The $350 was with the Honda pump. I tried the NAPA pump the time before that as a convenience because I was getting the other parts (Gates) there. Not so convenient!