PDA

View Full Version : New to honda's really need help! please!

Nick89GTA
06-17-2011, 11:08 AM
I have an 86 Accord lx-i hatch and it only starts when it wants to. Sometimes it starts and other times it just turns over. I've searched and i see the main relay problem a lot, but as far as i understand that shuts off the fuel pump? But the fuel pump comes on, and it has pressure across the rail. Its getting constant spark when turning over and the injectors have power. It does this when its cold, when its hot. just randomly wont start and just crank over. I just gave it new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter and injector cleaner. can anybody help me? my trans am is killing me in gas, and i need my commuter back! Thanks!!

ShyBoyCA6
06-17-2011, 11:20 AM
Most likely your main replay may be telling you to change it soon. Um do you have a CEL?

Nick89GTA
06-17-2011, 11:33 AM
it doesnt have CEL on the dash. Just a PGM-FI light that comes on.

Nick89GTA
06-17-2011, 01:03 PM
Could it be just the part of the main relay that allows the injectors to work? or would all of it go bad at once?

Dr_Snooz
06-17-2011, 09:29 PM
Just a PGM-FI light that comes on.

What is the code?

danny nr crew
06-17-2011, 09:44 PM
i got a little trick for you.

when cranking the car if its not turning on just keep turning the key and just kick under the dash a couple times where the fuse box cover is and it should turn on if its the relay.

reason i say this is because my relay acts up on me sometimes so i just leave it cranking and i just kick it a couple times and it starts right up.

Nick89GTA
06-19-2011, 04:32 PM
It just stays on. I'm not sure how to check for codes in this car. And next time it doesn't start I'm going to hit that relay with a screwdriver or something

rc00netzero
06-25-2011, 06:59 PM
I had main relay problems too - it can seem very random. If I recall the circuit diagrams correctly, it not only controls the fuel pump, but also has a section that controls the injectors. I would replace it.

Dr_Snooz
06-26-2011, 06:16 PM
It just stays on. I'm not sure how to check for codes in this car. And next time it doesn't start I'm going to hit that relay with a screwdriver or something

It's a sticky. Just need to look around a little more.

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26342