PDA

View Full Version : Please help 88 Accord LX 5-sp diagnosis - rough running

MrSamson
06-18-2011, 11:20 AM
Hello everyone. New to the board here but this looks like a great place.

I am hoping to get some input on what might be making my otherwise hotrod go-cart sick -

First - I think my stock carb is sick.

Since I have purchased the car it has always, always started very rough when cold. Something that seems to be related to the choke system or something because once it warms up it always has ran well.

THEN, WEIRDNESS HAPPENED:

New problems have manifested now when the car is hot, in fact it will hardly run and I am going to have a friend with a dolly drag it home today since only across town.

NOW biggest challenge is with keeping it going.

When 'driving' I needed to always try to keep tach above 2k. This involved a lot of feet-dancing to balance braking at stop because when I push in clutch and take foot off accelorator to brake with right foot the tachometer drops like a rock and the car will die, and when <1500 on tach, pressing/tapping accelorator only makes engine sputter a little more, but it will most often die.

THEN -

Trying to start it again is painful. Glad I have a strong, newer battery because it went through it's paces the other day. It turns and turns with little to no action, maybe a sputter. I really think it is flooded at this point being a big part of the problem but it also sounds like something is funny or not 'peppy' with ignition system? Eventually I have gotten it to start but often requiring 6-9 turnover attempts.

I am at a loss but my educated guesses are:

1) Carberatur - I need to replace this anyway - perhaps this is the demon for all my problems? I have my eye on Weber 32/26 kit but would like to be more confident on what the problem is.

2) Distributor/Ignition? Guessing now -

3) fuel pump - I have no idea!

Any next step ideas would be greatly appreciated. I want to find out all I can before I pick up a new carb. The car has always ran pretty strong so I think a new carb is justifiable.

I would like to address this in earnest when I return from vacation after July 4th.

GREAT website though - Viva la Honda!

Links to how to's or other relevant info. sights also greatly appeciated. I DID search forum for 5 collective hours and think the Weber walkthrough is amazing and I am excited to try to do it but I was never confident that i had properly diagnosed my issues.

Thanks -

MrS.