PDA

View Full Version : Oil leak/Oil filter mount, Ignition timing help

BrokenBone
06-20-2011, 11:35 AM
Hi all, I have a 88 lxi coupe that has a variable oil leak. Had it for a year sitting. I recently took it to get smoged had ignition timing adjusted and passed, no leaks till I bring it home and it had been sitting for a week do I notice the oil puddle under the car. Moved it and I can see a small few drops it left about 15 inches from upper driver wheel. I checked around and ran it but
It does not want to leak for me. I did notice that there was a mount that the oil filter was connected to that bolts onto the engine block and it appeared to be very sludgy where the mount connected to the block. Now that I identified the issue what can I do to fix the leak? Looking around google it says I need to replace an oring, or do I need to replace the entire mount?

Also how do I adjust the engine timing? The mechanic made it to where it takes like 4 full cranks to get it started instead of the 2 cranks it took to when I first brought it to him. I am a little concerned for my starter.

cygnus x-1
06-20-2011, 02:43 PM
Hi all, I have a 88 lxi coupe that has a variable oil leak. Had it for a year sitting. I recently took it to get smoged had ignition timing adjusted and passed, no leaks till I bring it home and it had been sitting for a week do I notice the oil puddle under the car. Moved it and I can see a small few drops it left about 15 inches from upper driver wheel. I checked around and ran it but
It does not want to leak for me. I did notice that there was a mount that the oil filter was connected to that bolts onto the engine block and it appeared to be very sludgy where the mount connected to the block. Now that I identified the issue what can I do to fix the leak? Looking around google it says I need to replace an oring, or do I need to replace the entire mount?

Common sources for oil leaks are:
valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket, distributor seal, front/rear main seals, oil filter base, and the breather box drain tube. The oil filter base leaks where it attaches to the block. There is a seal under there that you can probably get from NAPA or somewhere like hondapartsdeals.com. Worst case you can get one from a dealer. The breather box drain tube also likes to leak too. That's pretty much going to be a dealer only part. Or you can try and find the right size radiator or hydraulic hose and some hose clamps. It's just a short piece maybe 5 inches long.

Also how do I adjust the engine timing? The mechanic made it to where it takes like 4 full cranks to get it started instead of the 2 cranks it took to when I first brought it to him. I am a little concerned for my starter.

The starters are pretty reliable so I wouldn't worry about that. 4 seconds is a long time though. You'll need a timing light to check the timing. The basic procedure is to warm up the engine, then disconnect and plug the vac advance lines. Connect the light to the battery and the number 1 spark plug wire. Then aim the light at the flywheel through the window in the transmission bell housing. When the light flashes you will (hopefully) see the timing mark on the flywheel lining up with the pointer. If it doesn't line up you loosen the distributor mounting bolts and turn the distributor a little at a time until the timing mark lines up. Put everything back and you're done.

C|

lostforawhile
06-20-2011, 03:15 PM
the oil filter base gasket is a dealer or online dealer only part, but it's cheap. get a couple and put one up. the main thing is make sure you properly torque it evenly, over tighten it and it will leak

Dr_Snooz
06-20-2011, 08:49 PM
Probably want to leave the vacuum lines connected if you are looking for the timing mark.