PDA

View Full Version : 86 lxi problems starting..

slowA20tog22
06-21-2011, 04:29 PM
so my accord is having problems staying running after it starts right now it idles at 1500 at start up and the backs down to 1100 but when it backs down so times it will creep to far down and die. i was wondering if it is associated with the fuel filter or if its fuel related.. maybe my fuel rail or injectors..

Dr_Snooz
06-22-2011, 07:38 PM
I would start with some injector cleaner. When was your last tune up?

slowA20tog22
06-23-2011, 10:51 PM
well I put in new injectors when Bought the car because the old ones were crappy and had gunky build up on them i also bought new cap and rotors along with plugs and wires. still need to do fuel filter and oil filter i need a new tranny also.. my fifth doesnt work idk where to find a rebuild kit for the tranny

Dr_Snooz
06-24-2011, 07:17 AM
Are you getting a CEL?

slowA20tog22
06-24-2011, 12:03 PM
i dont want to sound stupid but whats the "cel"?

slowA20tog22
07-06-2011, 09:52 AM
no i am not getting a check engine light... idk whats wrong with it.

Dr_Snooz
07-06-2011, 05:57 PM
Start with a can of injector cleaner and see what happens. If you had gunk on the injectors, you had it all over and it won't run right until that's all gone. Have you checked for vacuum leaks?

ShyBoyCA6
07-06-2011, 08:29 PM
um when you change the injectors you need to change the fuel filter and fuel strainer. just put some injector cleaner in and see what happens. if it happens again im guessing the fuel pump might be giving out on you?

slowA20tog22
07-06-2011, 11:31 PM
okay ill try some injector cleaner and a new fuel filter.

slowA20tog22
08-24-2011, 03:50 PM
so has anyone bought the wrong battery for their car because every time i hook up my friends mustang battery to my car it starts right away but with my other battery it wont...

Dr_Snooz
08-25-2011, 07:09 PM
Say what? Are you in the habit of swapping batteries with friends often? Just for kicks or what?

Oldblueaccord
08-26-2011, 07:35 AM
so has anyone bought the wrong battery for their car because every time i hook up my friends mustang battery to my car it starts right away but with my other battery it wont...

In reality any 12 volt battery will work. There is not really a "wrong" one. You want one that fits the space in your car. Even a lawnmower,motorcycle,boat battery would start it in a pinch.

I think your battery is just bad it does not have the power to start your car. Also make sure you terminals are tight on the battery post. You should not be able to turn them off with your hand.

wp

slowA20tog22
08-28-2011, 02:36 PM
Say what? Are you in the habit of swapping batteries with friends often? Just for kicks or what?

no only when my battery dies from trying to start my car...

Dr_Snooz
08-29-2011, 02:17 PM
no only when my battery dies from trying to start my car...

Sounds like you have a bigger problem. Why don't you provide some more detail? Why is the battery dying? Are you cranking and cranking and eventually killing the battery? Is it not charging fully when you drive? Is the car dying constantly? Your initial description sounds like a dirty fuel system but this sounds more involved.

slowA20tog22
09-01-2011, 09:07 PM
well the battery gets a full charge the issuse is my fuel pump sometimes doesnt want to turn on. it never dies once i start it and only after i let it sit will it refuse to start i just ran octane booster in it to help out the fuel system a bit. im goin to buy injector cleaner on friday and drive around all day until its cleaned out i already put a new fuel filter on it and that helped out greatly im thinking ut may be the main relay or that i just need a new alternator.. im not sure my alernator the last time i checked was fine but im sure ill need to get a new one... im slowly working on making this car nice..

rc00netzero
09-01-2011, 09:46 PM
Main relay is a bear to get at, but a much cheaper part. In my case, extreme CABIN temps would trigger failure. I.e. park car in the sun w/windows closed a while - then it won't start. While I putter around trying to get it started I roll down a window or two and open doors. Cabin temp drops enough and suddenly it starts & works fine. I my case it was the temp inside the car (where the relay is) and not engine temp that mattered! I think main relay failure can cause either no power to fuel pump or no power (or is it no ground?) for the injectors - or both.

slowA20tog22
09-02-2011, 08:11 AM
hmm well that would make sense my car sat in the sun and right now it started just fine this morning im hoping it will be just fine this afternoon when it heats up to 90.. but if I replaced the main relay would it fix this problem?? i know my fuel pump is good and my injectors are good also.. so i know its a fuel problem because im getting spark and im getting air so im stumped on this issue...

Catalyst
09-07-2011, 03:52 PM
I had a similar problem recently, well two problems. Anyways, I would start with repairing / or replacing the main relay. It's really not that hard to get out unless you have huge hands. If that doesn't do it, I would replace the TW sensor, it can also cause your problem. A new main relay is about $40, and a TW sensor is about $20. *$8, and $4 from pick n pull if there is one near by*

RAZR
09-07-2011, 05:49 PM
I had a similar problem recently, well two problems. Anyways, I would start with repairing / or replacing the main relay. It's really not that hard to get out unless you have huge hands. If that doesn't do it, I would replace the TW sensor, it can also cause your problem. A new main relay is about $40, and a TW sensor is about $20. *$8, and $4 from pick n pull if there is one near by*

Sry for my noobish question but what does tw in tw sensor stand for?

Catalyst
09-08-2011, 11:03 AM
Not sure what it stands for, but It is also called the ECT sensor I think. Engine Coolant temperature sensor. It tells the ECU what the coolant temp is, and the ECU tells the PGMFI system to run differently. If it malfunctions, all kinds of havoc can arise.

RAZR
09-08-2011, 03:43 PM
Not sure what it stands for, but It is also called the ECT sensor I think. Engine Coolant temperature sensor. It tells the ECU what the coolant temp is, and the ECU tells the PGMFI system to run differently. If it malfunctions, all kinds of havoc can arise.

Ok thanks for the response which sensor is it? The one with the green connector or the other one?

import racer
09-09-2011, 03:41 PM
How come some have two sensors on thermostat housing but mine only has one.

Dr_Snooz
09-09-2011, 04:21 PM
Because yours is carbureted.

slowA20tog22
09-10-2011, 12:54 AM
bought the main relay today car starts like a champion

Bluntman
09-10-2011, 05:07 AM
Sry for my noobish question but what does tw in tw sensor stand for?

TW stands for Thermal Water or Temperature Water sensor.