PDA

View Full Version : Third Brake Light Idea

import racer
06-22-2011, 08:53 AM
Got a busted spoiler from my brother from his 90 accord.Thought I would hook it up in my car but can't get it to light in my car,it worked fine when tried on battery.Any ideas how to get it to work.

dacantu
06-22-2011, 12:24 PM
this belongs in the efi tech section huh?

charliekuney
06-22-2011, 02:03 PM
dacantu, didn't you know that spoilers add ten horsepower on fuel-injected models?

lostforawhile
06-22-2011, 02:12 PM
Got a busted spoiler from my brother from his 90 accord.Thought I would hook it up in my car but can't get it to light in my car,it worked fine when tried on battery.Any ideas how to get it to work.

more information would help, but i'm going to request this be moved to the correct section :D

import racer
06-22-2011, 04:02 PM
Sorry if this is in the wrong section,but just thought someone would know why it won't work hooked up to where the stock third brake light goes.Is it because they're LED's.How would I get it to work?

charliekuney
06-22-2011, 04:58 PM
It's not because the lights are LED's, because the factory spoiler had LED's. Bad connection? Bad LED strip?

lostforawhile
06-22-2011, 06:00 PM
if it worked when connected to a battery but doesn't work when connected to the car, you have a bad connection, what do you have it connected to? some LED brake lights are polarity sensitive, so if it's wired backwards it's never going to come on, it is an EFI brake light right? carb brake lights won't work with EFI cars, I'm assuming it has two wires coming out of the light, try reversing them and see if it works, if not get a voltmeter out and check for voltage with the brake lights on, if worse comes to worse, advance sells third brake light fluid, they stock it beside the blinker fluid, the problem is they are usually out of stock

import racer
06-23-2011, 06:20 AM
Switching the wires work lost thanks,both have green and black wires but they are reversed at the plug so didn't notice it.Thanks again man.

import racer
06-23-2011, 02:23 PM
Well it was working,took out to paint top and bottom so light only shine back.When i put it back in it didn't work,checked the wires and no power.So I checked the fuses and they're all good but I hear a clicking coming from under drivers seat when I press the brake pedal.It's a reddish color box.Not sure why It's clicking.Anyone know what is clicking.

import racer
06-23-2011, 05:33 PM
Anyone?

lostforawhile
06-24-2011, 04:05 AM
i will look at the wiring diagram when i get home

import racer
06-24-2011, 02:46 PM
Thanks,the haynes book doesn't show anything.

import racer
06-25-2011, 09:02 AM
Hey lost,any luck with the wiring diagram?Could I just rewire the third brake light to one of the tail-lights?

lostforawhile
06-25-2011, 11:45 AM
Hey lost,any luck with the wiring diagram?Could I just rewire the third brake light to one of the tail-lights?

sorry i forgot to look you could but the indicator would be on on the cluster all the time telling you you had a bad brake light, let me look, just came from the yard and it's about a hundred degrees

lostforawhile
06-25-2011, 11:53 AM
check power at the green/white wire going to the third brake light,with the brake lights on, if it has no power, and the right side brake lights work, you need a right side brake light failure indicator module, it's attached to the right rear taillight, also check at the module for power at that wire, to rule out a bad or broken wire

import racer
06-25-2011, 04:56 PM
When you say right side you mean right side looking at the back of the car I assume.I'll check it out tomorrow if it's not raining.Thanks in advance.

lostforawhile
06-26-2011, 04:22 AM
When you say right side you mean right side looking at the back of the car I assume.I'll check it out tomorrow if it's not raining.Thanks in advance.

i believe so, thats what the electrical manual says, only one side will have the green white wire i believe

import racer
06-26-2011, 04:39 PM
Hey man I switched tail lights with another one and they all work now,thanks alot man.

lostforawhile
06-26-2011, 07:25 PM
Hey man I switched tail lights with another one and they all work now,thanks alot man.
it's just the module on the back of the light is all, the taillight itself is fine

import racer
06-27-2011, 06:32 PM
Yeah i know,I have some modules somewhere just haven't been able to find them.

import racer
07-10-2011, 05:53 PM
Well the brake light in the dash is on again,changed the modules and checked the bulbs.So not sure whats going on,guess it could be a socket or a wire have to keep checking.