PDA

View Full Version : 2nd gear grinding

Aorourke331
06-22-2011, 11:35 PM
I had a few people say my synco maybe going out, looking for some suggestions.

Looking to do a lot of engine fixing (keep in mind open to suggestions)

I noticed every time I shift into second gear, there is a crunching sound. NO other gear does this. Only first to second, or if ever done downshifting from third to second.

Foot is all the way floor on the clutch, only time I get around this crunching, I slowlllllllyyyy shift into gear, to the point where the car gets sluggish and I have to really gas it to move to gain rpm's to go go go!

Anyone think it is my syncro going out?
How do I replace it, and how much would it be, if that is the issue.

Dr_Snooz
06-23-2011, 08:34 PM
Anyone think it is my syncro going out?
How do I replace it, and how much would it be, if that is the issue.

I think the syncro is going out. What happens if you double-clutch? MTs are pretty easy to rebuild, though I couldn't seem to manage it. The kit is $100 + $40 for the syncros. Or vice versa. I can't remember now. Be prepared to find that your shafts are worn beyond tolerance. Just ignore that and put it back together. Are you having any other issues with the trans? If you are, it's good to know about them now. If you end up needing hard parts inside, you will have the devil's own time trying to find them in any condition other than entirely destroyed. If you don't want to rebuild, then www.mantrans.com sells really good rebuilt units.

Aorourke331
06-29-2011, 04:06 PM
Well it turns out I need a new transmission..

Syncro is deff going out. Everyone is saying a way to just solve the issue is get a new transmission all together. So now the search to get it.

Dr_Snooz
06-29-2011, 05:25 PM
Mantrans is your best bet. I'm really happy with the one they sent me.

Aorourke331
06-29-2011, 05:37 PM
Looking now, how much did you spend?
Cause they don't have a price listing on their
public listing (http://www.manual-transmission.com/?q=node/28)

just trying to figure out the cheapest route
i love this car to death
Tons of people I know are trying to convince me to sell/trade it.

I wouldn't mind, but what in the hell could I sell this thing for?!

Just a sticky situation. I love this thing to death. It runs, and runs well, and I would love to put more effort and work into the car. But I don't have the knowledge, or help to do such a task.

g.frost
06-29-2011, 06:32 PM
Maybe too late for this, but have you ever changed the transmission oil?