PDA

View Full Version : parts supplier for OEM honda on-line?

rocketman
06-25-2011, 11:46 AM
Any of you guys have a parts source you would recommend to get something on-line? I finally got the horn off our 1995 Civic (a real pain!) and I don't think that I want to go to my local junkyard for a replacement. The location is right behind the front bumper down really low . . . so it gets hit with all of the rain, snow, salt, rocks, whatever . . . . and it rusted away. I'm betting that any junkyard part would be in bad shape. The "regular" parts stores I checked in my area have a replacement but it doesn't have the plug-in wiring that comes with the original. It looks like I have to rig something to wire it, and I don't want to do that, given its location. I want to use the original wiring plug-in set up. Parts source on-line for OEM stuff like this? Thanks! Rocketman

import racer
06-25-2011, 04:59 PM
That's why I moved mine up in front of the rad,should be able to pick one up at any auto parts store cheap.

DBMaster
06-25-2011, 06:54 PM
My favorite has always been Majestic Honda

www.hondaautomotiveparts.com

I have also used this one. Prices are about the same.

http://www.hondapartsnow.com/

rocketman
06-26-2011, 05:16 AM
Thanks guys! Seems like nobody (the parts stores) are showing the replacement horn with the plug-in . . . they all have something "similar". The Honda sites don't even list the horn. Guess I'm going to have to "rig" something with the replacement. Rocketman

Dr_Snooz
06-26-2011, 08:08 AM
Cut the connector off the old horn and use crimp connectors and heat shrink tubing over them to put it on the new horn. You should be fine. I believe they also sell fully weatherproof crimp connectors now too if that's of any interest.

TotaledTL
06-26-2011, 06:38 PM
What kind of "plug in" are you referring to? Can't you cut off the end that goes to the OEM horn, splice it to some connectors that fit the horn, & install it? If you solder and properly insulate the connections it should last for years.

rocketman
06-27-2011, 04:04 AM
The "plug-in" is simply that . . . plastic connectors which plug together to make the electrical connection. The original Honda horn has a female plastic connector which is fused to the metal housing of the horn. The wiring harness of the Honda has a male connector, waiting to be mated to the female on the horn. The replacements all have two prongs which I must somehow adapt to the female connector. Kinda like the CO2 emergency in Apollo 13, remember. I don't really want to "rig" something if I can get a replacement, given the area where the horn "lives" . . . that's the reason for it rotting away. Anyway . . I ordered a replacement from two separate sources . . . if both show me that I have to rig something, I will. I thought that I might just get a "plug n play" replacement for such a simple part. Thanks folks! Rocketman