PDA

View Full Version : ground controls, revalved bilsteins installed, etc

Accordtheory
06-27-2011, 04:54 PM
http://i51.tinypic.com/2wg9bvo.jpg
http://i55.tinypic.com/344v315.jpg
http://i51.tinypic.com/v7dw7d.jpg
http://i52.tinypic.com/2chmgxj.jpg

So..couple weeks ago, decided to finally do something with my 25 year old honda, since I let it sit for about a year without even touching it, it's just been gathering dust. So I called ground control and asked them about a set of coilovers to go with my revalved bilsteins. Well, they had no idea what springs would go with those, maybe I expected too much, but I figure if they don't know, who would? So then I called bilstein, shox.com, etc, got nowhere until I found an old post on here, then I just ordered the "stock" rates from ground control for the 3g, 350lbs front, 250 back. My shocks are valved 300/100 rear and 375/120 in the front.

Today the springs arrived, initial order placed on the 14th of this month, today is the 27th. I called them a week after the order was placed asking for a tracking number, they hadn't sent it out yet, and did send it out later that day, although I had to call back today to get the tracking #. Kind of felt dumb after I did that too, the tracking said it was delivered this morning, but the guy never knocked on my door or left a note, he just put it in my detached garage. Anyway, after I looked at them sitting in the box, I had a few questions, so I called them, and was like, "What am I supposed to do with these O rings, and why are there only 2 urethane things that go on the top of the spring, not 4 like in the pic on your site?" Of course that guy didn't know, and had to go get someone else, who told him the O rings go around the shock body to isolate/prevent the coilover sleeve from hitting the shock body. (Like rocking sideways back and forth against the shock body.)

So then I went out to the car and pulled the rear shocks off, but when I put the coilover sleeve on the shock body, there was about 1/4" gap all around between the sleeve and the shock! So then I had to call them back, Again. I told him about the gap, he kept insisting that was what the O rings were for. I had to just keep repeating myself for him to realize the O rings weren't going to work, he kept asking if I had ever installed GC coilovers before, did I buy them from them, etc, not going with what I was talking about, and I didn't appreciate that. Then he disappeared to talk to someone else, and the other guy confirmed that the gap was way too big for the O rings. He said that they messed up, they didn't send a part they should have, which is a split polyurethane sleeve that fits around the shock body, between the shock and coilover sleeve. I was like, "what? but it looks like everything will work fine the way it is now! The sleeves sits on a flat surface, that clip thing on the shock, how the hell is it going to rock off to the side like that, when the force is pushing it down? What am I not picturing correctly here?"
He then replied in a catty way, like he was threatening to hang up, "there's no need to curse sir" and I was like, "what? I didn't! I'm just trying to talk!"

So there are a few different things you can do with this install, I guess. I did Not use anything between the shock body and the coilover sleeves, and I guess I was supposed to. Also in the instructions, which were worthless, it said to cut the things that come down over the shock to keep crud off the shock rod. I did not want to do that because I know that dirt getting on that rod will slowly abrade the seal and ruin the shock, especially in south dakota, and those damn shocks were $711. I had to do it on the back, because that metal/rubber thing wouldn't fit inside the spring. So I didn't need any instructions to tell me that. On the front, however, I did not alter that thing whatsoever. Pay attention here if you're putting this combo on your car, that cover thing Will fit inside the coilover sleeve, as shown in my pic. It looked like the shock will bottom out before that oem metal cover sleeve hits the bottom of the coilover sleeve. However, if you have the polyurethane sleeve thing they said you're supposed to have, then that oem cover sleeve thing might not fit, depending on the height of that polyurethane thing.

So as of now, I need to raise the car up a little to a less insane height, get it aligned, and then see if the coilovers start moving around, making noise, see if anytihing hits or bottoms out, how it rides, just drive it a little. I took it out briefly earlier, and it wasn't maing any weird noises, but I only drove it a few miles.

88lxi-shortram
06-27-2011, 05:04 PM
:O beautiful... and by the way what manifold is that on your car ive never seen one of those?

Accordtheory
06-27-2011, 06:37 PM
you mean the thing connected to my aluminum dryer ducting style intake? BBK, it's a gsr head. I hate posting pics of my car how it currently is, it looks like complete shit. That intake is only temporary, the car will eventually be turbocharged again. gt3076r or bigger.

MessyHonda
06-29-2011, 06:56 PM
nice to see you around.

88lxi-shortram
06-30-2011, 07:10 AM
. I hate posting pics of my car how it currently is, it looks like complete shit. That intake is only temporary, the car will eventually be turbocharged again. gt3076r or bigger.

looks fine to me... at least you haz vtec....

mykwikcoupe
06-30-2011, 10:27 AM
my ground controls came from angus (LX-incredible) and they had the rubber washers and the inner plastic inserts. I used the inserts but could not fit the sleeves over the rubber washers. I haven't made more then a mile on them but looking at them for the last 3 years they are holding up great. I didnt have a problem that I can remember fitting the original dust sleeves onto anything. I did cut down the isolators (foam bushings that fit under the dust sleeve). Hope it helps a little at least.

Accordtheory
07-02-2011, 11:27 PM
Mykwikcoupe, I'm trying to understand what you're saying, if I understand right when you say washers you mean o rings, and when you say foam isolators you mean bump stops?

I don't know how you fit the rear dust sleeve, it doesn't fit inside the spring. ?

My car is now making a horrible sqeaking sound from the left front, I'm going to have to look into that. I kind of already figured I'd have to take it all apart again at least once. A car modified this heavily is never just a bolt in and go type of proposition, annoyingly enough. I might have to call ground control again and get those damn polyurethane sleeves they should have sent me, or do something with the front dust sleeve thing if it is scraping on the coilover sleeve. Right now it is 2:20 in the morning, I don't even know why I'm trying to think about this bullshit now, haha. But I'll post up again whenever I get it all figured out.
I might fab some extended top hats for the front too.

mykwikcoupe
07-03-2011, 07:16 AM
Yes and yes on the vocabulary issue i was having. I will go take a few looks and see if the covers I have are factory or aftermarket. sorry about the problems you are having, they sound very elementary compared to things you have done in the past and should never happen in a well designed part.

Accordtheory
07-03-2011, 10:59 PM
yeah..it's not that big of a deal though, I have to have some excuse to use my IR 2135Ti max.. that thing is my favorite tool by far..it took me way longer to play around with the ride height than it did to swap in the coilovers..

And I have so much left to do to this car, it's like, why even care if one aspect isn't completely finished yet. I can't even really drive it looking the way it does, and I really need to get a turbosystem in place too, if for no other reason than to quiet the incredibly loud, droning exhaust! Not all that eager to go drop like $2k on paint either, but I eventually will, once I have a few other goals in my life taken care of first..

mykwikcoupe
07-03-2011, 11:08 PM
I have the same gun and even though its super light it packs a major punch right. I don't even try to pry the hub bolt retainers up so they are round anymore,the gun does it for me quickly. Im in the same boat but gave up on turboing the coupe. Im going ITBs and 2.5 exhaust ectune and permanent wideband. Id like a tunerview but it really wont monitor much after the tune it would be more of a toy.

Accordtheory
07-05-2011, 11:12 AM
So, today Trevor from ground control emailed me back and said "With this kit installed on Bilsteins, the urethane sleeves are not needed"..

Seriously, I wish they would actually install and test the parts they sell on the cars they're supposed to fit. I highly doubt they have ever installed these on a 3g with bilsteins. Probably no one at ground control has even ridden in a 3g in the last 10 years. Everyone I talk to from ground control tells me something different. I'm just going to have to go with my own intuition, as always, which is what I told the last guy I talked to at ground control. He seemed to take offense at that, and that I wasn't following his instructions and waiting for those poly sleeves, but now they tell me I don't even need them!

86AccordLxi
07-06-2011, 07:32 PM
Ground control has the worst customer service around. Sucks that you had to deal with all that (and are still dealing).

I'm grateful to have found my ground controls used. Would hate to pay them money...

MessyHonda
07-16-2011, 06:39 PM
yeah man i hate poor customer service. I think the K sports are a good deal for the money plus they are plug and play