PDA

View Full Version : cv shaft question... kind of an emergency

pink_sleeve
06-29-2011, 03:38 PM
I am thinking this is not right. I just popped my passenger side cv shaft off from the tranny and it puked out all the tranny fluid. Never saw this happen before? :(

Christofur
06-29-2011, 03:54 PM
some should come out but all of it idk. is ur car level?

RLong31
06-29-2011, 04:01 PM
From my understanding you are supposed to drain the tranny fluid before you do the cv shafts. That would explain why it spilled out on you. Anyway, I think you'll only lose like 2-3 quarts (1/3 of your fluid) anyway... so just keep one working, re-fill after :)

pink_sleeve
06-29-2011, 04:22 PM
Thank you guys. I was sweating bullets. How do you refill the trans though?

MrSamson
06-29-2011, 06:33 PM
Fun job and I did this on my 88.

You should have drained the tranny first, but I don't beleive it is cause for worry...however wife may have a different opinion.

If I remember correctly, for my manual 5 speed, the fill plug is on the passenger side of tranny. 1/2 inch socket adapter will remove it....however they CAN be difficult to remove some times.

Pretty rewarding job when you are done.

Good luck!

RobDirt89
06-29-2011, 10:03 PM
Auto or Manual trans? either way you will lose some fluid. If its a manual trans it takes 2.4 qts of 10w30 oil to fill. so you might as well drain it then put the correct amount back in.
If its auto its just fill and check, a little at a time. While running. But idk where the dipstick is on an auto trans. Ive only drove stick in a 3gee. On newer hondas its in the front, buried under coolant hoses. aka a short stick close to trans.

Hazwan
06-30-2011, 12:38 AM
I usually would fill mine through the speed sensor hole as its a whole lot easier than the fill hole haha.

Hauntd ca3
07-01-2011, 01:28 AM
autos have the dip stick on the front of the trans to fill it through.
fill and check same as any other auto.
manuals have the big boly 13/16th i think on the front. just fill it till oil runs out the filler hole

pink_sleeve
07-02-2011, 04:26 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I have a question about the lower control arm inner bolt. I can't seem to get it to come out. I have it loosened but the bolt won't come through the arm bushing. I think it might be bent from the arm being bent. When backing the bolt off it was causing the mount to bend but the bolt was not releasing. I can try to get pictures to go with my explanation if I can. Any help or advise would be great because I'm kinda stuck at this point.

Dr_Snooz
07-02-2011, 05:34 PM
The infamous LCA bolt strikes again. Try loosening the other bolts holding the arm on and see if it takes the tension off the inner bolt. Otherwise, you're looking at Sawzalls, grinders, torches and other unconventional means. Good times!

pink_sleeve
07-23-2011, 11:41 AM
I finally got all the parts to put my car back together. Where is the filler bolt hole to refill the tranny at? Its not the 17mm bolt next the the cv shaft towards the firewall side is it? It an 89 manual DX coupe.

carotman
07-23-2011, 11:51 AM
Yes, it's the 17mm bolt.

You put the car on a level surface and fill it until oil comes flush with the bolt threads.

pink_sleeve
07-23-2011, 11:56 AM
Yes, it's the 17mm bolt.

You put the car on a level surface and fill it until oil comes flush with the bolt threads.

How do you break it free with pretty much no room to play?

pink_sleeve
07-23-2011, 12:14 PM
I have tried a breaker bar and a socket wrench with a cheater pipe and I can't get this sucker to budge? Is it reverse threaded or something? How hard is it to fill through the speed sensor and how many bolts is that and what size?

Oldblueaccord
07-23-2011, 01:03 PM
Its the 17mm that the head of the bolt faces the passenger tire like above the CV shaft. It can be tight but its lefty loosey. Just get a bigger cheater bar.

I think filling thru the speedo hole they they take the speedo cable out and pour it thru there somehow. I never tried it. its just a clip that holds the cable in.

wp

pink_sleeve
07-23-2011, 03:44 PM
My breaker bar is a 3 footer with a half inch 17mm 6 point socket and I can't get it to budge. I also tried a normal 3/8 socket wrench with a 4 foot pipe over it and still nothing. I guess ill have to look for something bigger.

itzdave
07-24-2011, 07:12 AM
Also, if you jack the car high on the passenger side, you can put a little more fluid in there...

pink_sleeve
07-24-2011, 01:45 PM
Also, if you jack the car high on the passenger side, you can put a little more fluid in there...
Thanks for the help guys. I got the big bolt out with a little more force. I also went ahead and drained the whole tranny and refilled it with syncromesh. Now onto more projects.