PDA

View Full Version : Boring a A20 to 2.2L ?

Vega88lxi
10-14-2002, 04:20 PM
Has anybody tried or even thought of boring out a A20 to 2.2 ? Seems like a good idea if your gonna go turbo or high comp where your gonna need new pistons anyway. I mean its more torque and more hp and more potential for future mods.

Jerren
10-14-2002, 04:47 PM
i plan to do this this winter. is 2.2 possible. 2.1 isn't sufficient?

smufguy
10-14-2002, 05:02 PM
boring out is not a solution u cant possibly do it. lower compression and do a turbo if u want. Boring out will not be good for a A20A1, we got no beef on the block to even bore it out.

night
10-14-2002, 05:03 PM
sleeve it and bore it.

total waste of time though

Jerren
10-14-2002, 06:43 PM
i was thinking that too smurf but 2.1 L isn't possible?

Sean
10-14-2002, 06:50 PM
hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha goo joke the cylindr wal are just thick enough for a .030 overbore and thats for perfomance. if you go further the block will crack hahahahahahahaha bad idea. just leave the thing alone and spend money on a turbo or weber dcoes or a big cam.

smufguy
10-14-2002, 08:14 PM
like funstick explained, it cant be done. boring out A20 is not postive in result. so, toss it out.

night
10-14-2002, 10:29 PM
if you really wanna bore something do this....

http://forums.clubsi.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB16&Number=1353518&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=

Jerren
10-15-2002, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by funstick
hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha goo joke the cylindr wal are just thick enough for a .030 overbore and thats for perfomance. if you go further the block will crack hahahahahahahaha bad idea. just leave the thing alone and spend money on a turbo or weber dcoes or a big cam.

You apparently don't understand the purpose of this board. How dare you laugh at a member for having a spark of imagination. This guy is thinking of doing something to his car other than a bull shit homade air intake and you laugh at him. I don't understand why the hell you would be a moderator of any part of this board and you make fun of members. you could have simply just told him that it wouldn't work and what would. Don't take out your frustrations on us because your bs projects never sell and never work.

Sorry to have to take it there but i hate when people in power or people with more knowledge of cars do shit like that.

iiviasterp
10-15-2002, 04:08 PM
:werd:

Jerren
10-15-2002, 06:10 PM
and he was suggesting that you bore out the cylinders so he can run a turbo

Jims 86LXI HB
10-15-2002, 06:35 PM
I think you have 2 totally different points of view here. On fellow has looked at, if not out right tried to bore out our block and knows just how much material you'd have to work with on the topic of boring.

Another member has seen a technique done to a different engine made out of totally different material with totally different spacing between the bores. So the question is, is their enough material avaible to bore our block's out? My understanding is the answer is no, their's not enough material to start with to make boring a viable option.

How want's to post pics of our engine block looking down with the head off? That would further this discussion.

I will also point out that the H22 block is not just made of aluminum.

joker2
10-16-2002, 04:17 AM
Well, just to let you know, my block has a 20 overbore.....:tongue:

guaynabo89
10-16-2002, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by funstick
the cylindr wal are just thick enough for a .030 overbore and thats for perfomance. if you go further the block will crack

That is correct. I looked into it and that's about as big as you can go without having reliability issues.

Jims 86LXI HB
10-16-2002, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by guaynabo89

That is correct. I looked into it and that's about as big as you can go without having reliability issues.

Well that confirms what I heard.

Can anyone tell me (I don't know everything) what a .030 overbore would do for displacement? How many cc's would that mean?

jteuton
10-16-2002, 09:31 AM
well bore x stroke gives total displacement and the stroke is staying the same so somebody look in a haynes or chilton (i burned mine) and see what the orignal bore is per cylinder....probably metric .....so you'll have to convert the .030 over (inches) to metric and use the equation pie r squared times depth to find the bore's area. This along with a wild cam and reworked head could see tremendous gains as long as you are able to up the fuel supply as well to fill the larger bore and wilder cam lobes.

guaynabo89
10-16-2002, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Jims 86LXI HB

Can anyone tell me (I don't know everything) what a .030 overbore would do for displacement? How many cc's would that mean?

I think thats about 50 to 75 cc's. I looked into it when I did mine but I forgot exactly how much it was.

ryan88lxi
10-16-2002, 07:29 PM
yeah im getting a rebuilt a20a3 and its overbored 20, would that cuse any issues with the cyl head? i was thinking it woul increase discplacement by no more than 40 or so cc's not worth it if your trying to get power, but if its a rebuilt engine i and comes like that any way i guess i can say its bored out haha