PDA

View Full Version : Still new to this car

BrokenBone
06-30-2011, 09:24 PM
Ok I have a few questions about this car(88 lxi coupe 5speed).

1. What could cause the oil temp on the instrument cluster to read hot even after sitting for days at a time. It started to do this after the car was sitting for a year. Last year it did not do this.

2. None of the little lights for the buttons work. For example if I press the ac button the little light for ac does not turn on. Also the high beam button only flips the lights. Does are sealed beam bulbs have a hi-beam?

3. What are the side vent levers L & R? How do I know when they are enabled? Also what is the arrow pointing to pull on the left lower side of the steering wheel? I thought it was to adjust the steering wheel but when I pull it nothing happens.

4. And last, where can I find a replacement power antenna? I seen the ones on eBay and they are all the ones you pull out your self. The atenna now is snapped and the last owner stuck a very thin Allen ranch in the hollowed remains of the old antenna. Is the power antenna hard to replace?

Sorry if my questions seem a little Kelly Bundy, I'm new to this car and I want to restore it as best as I can.

itzdave
06-30-2011, 09:52 PM
Ok I have a few questions about this car(88 lxi coupe 5speed).

1. What could cause the oil temp on the instrument cluster to read hot even after sitting for days at a time. It started to do this after the car was sitting for a year. Last year it did not do this.

2. None of the little lights for the buttons work. For example if I press the ac button the little light for ac does not turn on. Also the high beam button only flips the lights. Does are sealed beam bulbs have a hi-beam?

3. What are the side vent levers L & R? How do I know when they are enabled? Also what is the arrow pointing to pull on the left lower side of the steering wheel? I thought it was to adjust the steering wheel but when I pull it nothing happens.

4. And last, where can I find a replacement power antenna? I seen the ones on eBay and they are all the ones you pull out your self. The atenna now is snapped and the last owner stuck a very thin Allen ranch in the hollowed remains of the old antenna. Is the power antenna hard to replace?

Sorry if my questions seem a little Kelly Bundy, I'm new to this car and I want to restore it as best as I can.

1) ive never seen an oil temp light on these cars...
2) dunno bout the lights, but you could make sure that the air-con compressor is hooked up. and the switch u are talking about doesnt turn on the high beams, that JUST pops the headlights up. to turn on high beams, pull the turn signal switch (with the light controls at the end) towars you til you hear a click.
3) no clue about the vents you are talking about. the thing that says 'pull' is for the tilt steering. pull that thing out, THEN push it down, then you can tilt the steering wheel. then just pull the lever back up to lock the wheel in place, and push it back in.
4) ive never attempted it, rumor has it, its nearly impossible to do.

sorry if this doesnt help much.
and :welcome:

Demon1024
06-30-2011, 10:09 PM
right side under the steering wheel? those pull switches? they control left and right vents.
put your hand in front on the one right next to the driverside window and move the switch back and forth the air from that vent should start and stop with it.

I hope your not talking about the oil pressure light! If it's the temperature gauge on the right side of the cluster start by checking the connection on the thermostat housing.

BrokenBone
07-01-2011, 01:01 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome Dave, FYI I envy those white 3geez!!!

No it's not the light, it's the temp gauge on the right side, it goes all the way up when I start the car. Where would this thermostat housing be?

rocketman
07-01-2011, 04:15 AM
#3. The vent slides . . . Left and Right . . . down by your knee . . . control the right and left vents on the dash. I you close one or both you can increase the air from any other opening. Try it! Turn your blower on high and slowly close (operate the slide) on either while you have your hand over one of the vents on the dash . . . extreme right or left. I think that it's a GREAT feature! It allows you to direct A/C or heat a lot better than other cars I've owned. The other lever down there . . . closer to the steering wheel . . . adjusts the steering wheel. Play around with the lever while you try to move the steering wheel. A good feature for the car, I rarely use it as I adjust the wheel once and there it is. Rocketman

Demon1024
07-03-2011, 11:39 AM
follow the upper radiator hose to the head. the thermostat housing is where it attaches. 2 plugs on top and a single wire plug nearer the back. the back side one os for the dash gauge

TotaledTL
07-04-2011, 01:11 PM
Sounds like you could benefit from an owner's manual. Chk. ebay, I got one cheap.

The HVAC LED indicators for "fresh air" & "vent" would work intermittently on mine. Took it apart & resoldered the LEDs. They work more often but they still sometimes do not work. I suppose the LEDS are just tired, I don't know. It's a PITA to do. There's a (limited info & pics) DIY on here.