PDA

View Full Version : Has this ever happened to anyone...

SFCA1987lx
07-05-2011, 08:16 PM
So, I did one of those stupid fucking secret shoppers today at firestone so i could get a free oil change becauseeee Im poor. I changed my oil last time. The filter(bosch) they gave me at kragen was a little bit shorter than normal, but barely, and the threads matched fine and it went on no problem. Jump to today, they guy walks over to me with my oil filter. the rod that you screw the oil filter onto was still in the filter. the entire rod. like, i didn't even know that was a piece that could unscrew from the block. firestone people didnt know wtf to do and they didnt want to have to pay for any thing, so they just left the old filter on and screwed it back into the block. Did they do something? Because I know it wasn't anything I did, I know how to change oil. You tighten it hand tight and no more. no tools. wtf happened here. I'm slightly concerned that if it just unscrewed like that from the block is there any chance of it wiggling lose while im driving or anything. just. like, wtf. help?

SkateK610
07-05-2011, 10:19 PM
well you said the filter was shorter, that could of grabbed it

lostforawhile
07-06-2011, 03:43 AM
it shouldn't have come loose, they gave you the wrong filter and it jammed the threads like a locknut, get some red permanent locktite, unscrew the filter again with the threads in it, clean all the oil off of the threads and try to clean the other end of the threads up, put some red locktite on the threads,screw the filter back in, let it sit, now see if it unscrews, why would they give you the wrong filter? these filters are not that hard to find,

Dr_Snooz
07-06-2011, 06:01 PM
I never knew that could happen. Take pics when you pull it apart again!

lostforawhile
07-06-2011, 06:05 PM
the center threaded piece is just screwed into the center, it normally shouldn't come out, but put on the wrong filter, and overtighten it, and it can jam in the filter and unscrew

ecogabriel
07-06-2011, 06:39 PM
It happened to me a couple of times in the past w/other cars but it never was a problem to get the threaded part out. The only challenge is holding the piece without damaging the threads -copper or hard wood may help