PDA

View Full Version : 86LXi throttle cable aftermarket retrofit possible ?

AC439
07-07-2011, 05:19 AM
Hi guys, I think I rather start a new thread. I have searched but seems like nobody has tried it.

My throttle cable is broken at the firewall and is jammed. Unable to drive due to high idle. I tried local dealer and online ones. Eeverybody is telling me can't get it anymore (part#: 17910-SE0-A21). Has nothing on Ebay either.

I'd wonder if there are any generic aftermarket cable that can be retrofitted to the car ? Anyone has done it before ?

Or any other year's Honda throttle cable will fit ?

Car has been sitting in driveway for a few days and it is my daily horse........

Tks,

-AC

Oldblueaccord
07-07-2011, 07:35 AM
Just guessing but maybe the 4th gen Accord would be close enough. As long as the connection ends are the same the length is not that critical.

wp

EDIT also rockauto is a good place to look up parts since they usually have some pictures too.

TotaledTL
07-07-2011, 06:34 PM
Try here: http://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~wire~throttle~17910-SE0-A01.html

It let me put it in the cart.

AC439
07-08-2011, 08:50 AM
Try here: http://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~wire~throttle~17910-SE0-A01.html

It let me put it in the cart.

Yeah, but my part number is different, the last two digits are 21 instead of 01. The web site shows not available as well.

TotaledTL
07-08-2011, 09:34 AM
Oh sorry, my fault, fat finger I guess.

ecogabriel
07-08-2011, 02:37 PM
Another item to pick up from the jy next time I go -a spare throttle cable. And maybe some research to see what other Honda cable may fit

AC439
07-08-2011, 03:57 PM
After one more day of running around and spent a few dollars, the throttle cable is fixed.

In terms of level of retard, Honda dealer is #1. They are absolutely not helpful.
Autozone laughted at me without offering useful help.

Advanced Auto Parts is the best. I showed the guy the broken cable, he told me what to do to fix it with a $3 part.

At last, I have repaired the cable. I kept the original sleeve, put a new wire bought from Lowes and use 3/8" fuel line with two clamps to fixed the broken base (at the firewall). Reconnected and adjust throttle cable slack and blam, the throttle is working and better than before.

Rendon LX-i
07-08-2011, 04:08 PM
answer to your question is NOPE. only thing you can do is do a b16a intake manifold swap. and thats it.

AC439
07-08-2011, 08:09 PM
answer to your question is NOPE. only thing you can do is do a b16a intake manifold swap. and thats it.

Nope, I repaired my cable. Refer to my above positive repair report.

Rendon LX-i
07-10-2011, 12:45 AM
I was referring to a tb exchange. Cable changing is no problem.

Dr_Snooz
07-10-2011, 04:24 PM
After one more day of running around and spent a few dollars, the throttle cable is fixed.

In terms of level of retard, Honda dealer is #1. They are absolutely not helpful.
Autozone laughted at me without offering useful help.

Advanced Auto Parts is the best. I showed the guy the broken cable, he told me what to do to fix it with a $3 part.

At last, I have repaired the cable. I kept the original sleeve, put a new wire bought from Lowes and use 3/8" fuel line with two clamps to fixed the broken base (at the firewall). Reconnected and adjust throttle cable slack and blam, the throttle is working and better than before.

Glad you got it working. You should make a how-to with lots of pics.

ecogabriel
07-11-2011, 03:17 PM
Glad you got it working. You should make a how-to with lots of pics.

Ditto; at least show us what the $3 part looks like...

Dr_Snooz
07-11-2011, 08:42 PM
I was wondering today if a bicycle brake cable could be made to work. Hmmmm....

ghettogeddy
07-11-2011, 08:48 PM
I was wondering today if a bicycle brake cable could be made to work. Hmmmm....

thats all it really is

AC439
05-16-2012, 01:35 PM
Ditto; at least show us what the $3 part looks like...
Sorry it is old.........but I did some house cleaning today and found the packaging of the part so here it is:-

DORMAN "Cable Stops" part# 03336 from Advanced Autoparts.

You don't need a how to. When you get the parts from Advanced, things are self explanatory.

-AC

ecogabriel
05-16-2012, 04:09 PM
Sorry it is old.........but I did some house cleaning today and found the packaging of the part so here it is:-

You don't need a how to. When you get the parts from Advanced, things are self explanatory.

-AC

Thanks for the info; I found it and the photo is self-explanatory; you only need the inner cable (a bike cable should go fine)

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/DOR3/03336/N0263.oap?ck=Search_N0263_-1_-1&pt=N0263&ppt=C0142

Legend_master
05-17-2012, 08:13 AM

-AC

Pretty interesting. I may make my own cable to rout a little easier with my swap. Nice find.

Vanilla Sky
05-17-2012, 01:09 PM
I've made throttle cables out of bicycle cable before. Use brake cable, not shifter cable, as brake cable is heavier. I've had these cable housings break off right at the firewall. They're out of the way until you need to remove something. In my case, I've broken them when working on the alternator. Twice, somehow. Somewhere in my shop, I have my spare home made cable. If I find it, I'll take a pic of it. I used the same ends that AC439 used because I had them around. The first time I made one, I formed the end out of solder.