PDA

View Full Version : Lower control arm/radius rod f n nightmare

pink_sleeve
07-07-2011, 07:50 PM
Ok so I have been trying to get a radius rod for about 2 weeks now and have had zero luck. Every yard I have called has not had one nor been able to locate one. The pull a parts by me have 4 accords on one yard and 3 on another and not a single one has the rods. I got a call from another yard today telling me they had the rod and control arm in and yeah they was from a 90 up accord or some bs because neither the arm or rod was correct. Also I had to cut the lca bolt off because it was not coming out on its own. Anyone know where I can get the bolt for less then 25 bucks? Or where I can locate one of the friggin radius rods. I know Honda sold a ton of accords in 88 89 (only years the radius rods work according to the dealership) so where the F are all these rods at? My car has been down for 2 weeks now and I am going insane trying to locate this stupid part.

Dr_Snooz
07-07-2011, 08:25 PM
How can 7 different cars not have the radius rods? Are you sure you're looking for the right part?

pink_sleeve
07-07-2011, 08:35 PM
How can 7 different cars not have the radius rods? Are you sure you're looking for the right part?

I am positive I am looking for the right part. I even took my rod into the yard that supposedly had a lead on the correct part and must have specified atleast 10 times that it has to come off of an 88 89 and they still managed to get the WRONG parts. The control arm, spindle, and rod all came out of what appears to be a 90-93. Out of 7 of them 2 of them had them but they was damaged from the vehicles being in front end accidents. The other 5 the rods are gone. And out of over 10 yards in 3 county's I have called none of them have been able to locate the correct radius rod. They have all told me when they get accords that old they get shredded due to no demand in parts from them.

Oldblueaccord
07-08-2011, 06:47 AM
Troys Honda in Alabama, Evans Honda parts here in Newport TN. I dunno if either of them ship.

Best possible thing now is just make one. Use the end that bolts to the LCA and weld up a new rod with threads. Hell make one out of threaded rod if need be. If you cant do it a decent welding/machine shop could.

Other is there some aftermarket places that sell kits to replace all that with Heim joint rods for motor swaps etc.

http://www.full-race.com/articles/traction_bars.pdf

Ill see if I can come up with some links.

wp

Dr_Snooz
07-08-2011, 03:39 PM
I am positive I am looking for the right part. I even took my rod into the yard that supposedly had a lead on the correct part and must have specified atleast 10 times that it has to come off of an 88 89 and they still managed to get the WRONG parts. The control arm, spindle, and rod all came out of what appears to be a 90-93. Out of 7 of them 2 of them had them but they was damaged from the vehicles being in front end accidents. The other 5 the rods are gone. And out of over 10 yards in 3 county's I have called none of them have been able to locate the correct radius rod. They have all told me when they get accords that old they get shredded due to no demand in parts from them.

Face it dude. The gods are against you. You must atone with blood sacrifice.

The yards get new cars in all the time. It might just be a waiting game at this point. Probably not what you want to hear though. Is it at all possible to get an 86-87 arm to work? Maybe spend an afternoon at the yard seeing if you can get other arms to fit. Heat up your old arm and hammer it straight?

pink_sleeve
07-08-2011, 08:22 PM
Face it dude. The gods are against you. You must atone with blood sacrifice.

The yards get new cars in all the time. It might just be a waiting game at this point. Probably not what you want to hear though. Is it at all possible to get an 86-87 arm to work? Maybe spend an afternoon at the yard seeing if you can get other arms to fit. Heat up your old arm and hammer it straight?
My car has already been down over a week now because I took everything apart because one of the yards previous to the one that just sold me the wrong parts had also told me they had the parts only to show up and all they had was the control arm and no radius rod. My rod can be pounded back straight but the problem lies where it cracked at the front most bolt mounting hole. Therefore it needs to be welded which I thought to be no problem until taking it to a few people only for them to tell me the rod is either cast iron or cast steel and no one I know has the right welder for that.

AccordB20A
07-08-2011, 10:55 PM
also tell them 86-89 instead of 88-89, they might have some earlier ones in stock and they are all the same

pink_sleeve
07-10-2011, 07:01 PM
Ok. I was finally able to locate a radius rod. Where can I get a inner control arm bolt at? All the bolts I see listed under control arm bushings on rockauto look like the upper control arm bolt or the bolt that mounts the strut to the arm because last I check mine doesn't have a nut on it?

Oldblueaccord
07-11-2011, 08:29 AM
I think you mean LCA (lower control arm) the bolt that goes into the frame of the car. Prolly just get a new one at Homies Depot its metric. Ill take a wild guess and say its 10mm take the old one with you and try and get a grade 8.8 or higher NOT made in China.

After I wrote this I am thinking the nut on the back is loose but maybe it s welded on back there I cant remember.

wp

pink_sleeve
07-11-2011, 10:20 AM
I think you mean LCA (lower control arm) the bolt that goes into the frame of the car. Prolly just get a new one at Homies Depot its metric. Ill take a wild guess and say its 10mm take the old one with you and try and get a grade 8.8 or higher NOT made in China.

After I wrote this I am thinking the nut on the back is loose but maybe it s welded on back there I cant remember.

wp

Is there a nut on the back? If there is I can't see it or a way to access it????

Dr_Snooz
07-11-2011, 08:50 PM
get a grade 8.8 or higher NOT made in China.

Yes. And get a couple unicorn horns and some pixie dust while you're at it. LMAO :rofl:

The nut is attached to the frame if memory serves. I would get the bolt from the junkyard, but they might all be seized up.

pink_sleeve
07-11-2011, 09:48 PM
Yes. And get a couple unicorn horns and some pixie dust while you're at it. LMAO :rofl:

The nut is attached to the frame if memory serves. I would get the bolt from the junkyard, but they might all be seized up.

I tried taking 2 from pull a part. The head sheared off of one and the other was seized like mine and would need to be cut. Rust is a big problem in Ohio. Dealer said 15 bucks for 1 bolt and would take atleast a week to come from Cali. Seems a little steep but I don't know the correct bolt size to compare prices or even know anywhere else to get one new since some parts for the car are no longer produced.

pink_sleeve
07-15-2011, 04:05 PM
I'm guessing those bolts are next to the unicorn horns at lowes or home depot. They have pretty close to the size but everything metric they is zinc plated and I don't thing that will hold up and would rust pretty fast in Ohio.

cygnus x-1
07-15-2011, 06:41 PM
Day 5 and I still have no electricity, so typing from my phone. :( For metric bolts try Ace Hardware, NAPA, or Fastenal if you can find one. Or you can try ordering stock parts from hondapartsdeals.com. If you really get in a bind for bolts you can try mcmaster.com. Not cheap but they are an industrial supplier so they have nearly everything in the universe. C|

Ichiban
07-15-2011, 07:56 PM
I bought 10.8 metric hardware for my entire rear suspension, but they made me wait over a week for the "supposedly rare" fine thread bolts. I chickened out when I did my motor swap and bought lca bolts from the dealership. They were pricey, but in stock if i remember correctly.

pink_sleeve
07-15-2011, 10:57 PM
I'm an idiot... I never even thought to go to fastenal. The bolt is $3.40 and is 10.9

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=11113225&ucst=t

pink_sleeve
07-15-2011, 11:11 PM
Even better price. It's alot easier to find once i fount out the size...

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Metric-Class-10-9-Hex-Head-Cap-Screw-M10-1-25-x-80-mm-with-M10-1-25-Hex-Nut---Qty--1-Dorman---Pik-a-Nut_9060308-P_N3129F_A%7CGRP2037_____