PDA

View Full Version : leaking connections at rack

coolman603
07-09-2011, 12:37 PM
wondering if anyone could help me. ok so my rack and pinion got striped and i could not steer so i replaced the rack and pinion. now i have a problem with the 4 lines going into the rack. i have cleaned the threads and tightened them onto place everything seems good but when i start the car they all drip and leak from the connections. am i missing something? or is there something you put on the treads before you screw them in?

thanks for any help

DBMaster
07-09-2011, 10:24 PM
I use teflon thread tape on the threads and have never had a leak. It also makes it much easier to loosen them years down the road.

coolman603
07-09-2011, 11:41 PM
i thought of that but was not sure. thanks I will try that

DBMaster
07-10-2011, 08:53 AM
You still have to make the connections good and tight. Flare fittings are like that. A line wrench is recommended.

Dr_Snooz
07-10-2011, 04:17 PM
My experience with those was that you sometimes have to bend the steel lines so they aim straight into the hole. Usually they get all tweaked when you move the old rack around trying to get it out. They point sideways and stuff when you finally get the new rack in, so you have to straighten them back out. Also, push the line into the hole and make sure it bottoms out squarely and securely before tightening the nut. If the flare catches the edge of the seat, it can stay off center and leak after tightening. Most guys, I think, just want to get the nut started and then torque it all home, but that will lead to leaks.

Be careful with the Teflon tape. If you don't put it on right, bits of it can come loose and clog up the apertures in your new rack.

coolman603
07-10-2011, 09:30 PM
ill watch for that thanks Dr_ snooz