PDA

View Full Version : master cylinder noise

rocketman
07-11-2011, 03:56 AM
New one on me . . . my '89 Accord DX, 5-speed, 536,000 miles started to make a new noise over the weekend. I had been experiencing a somewhat soft brake pedal now and then, not constant, and then over the weekend I drove a few miles and found that I had a really firm brake pedal . . . but whenever I stepped on the brake I could hear a sound . . . kinda like air escaping from a valve or something. Hard to hear with the windows down while driving, so I pulled over and tried it while parked. Same noise, but you can't really hear it from under the hood with the engine running. No brake fluid loss. No brake pedal problem, in fact better pedal. Gotta be some hose fell off related to the master. What do you think? I don't like to screw around when it comes to brakes. Rocketman

Dr_Snooz
07-11-2011, 09:11 PM
Sounds like the booster. If it springs a vacuum leak, you'll get a firmer pedal.

rocketman
07-12-2011, 10:23 AM
Thanks DOC! I'll look around for a leak and start pricing a new master cylinder. It's been spongy for over a year . . . not all the time, but once in awhile I would get a soft pedal. Anybody know of a good internet parts source for a master at a decent price? Rocketman

Dr_Snooz
07-12-2011, 09:46 PM
That would be the booster. Not the master cylinder. The booster is what the master cylinder attaches to. Rock Auto (www.rockauto.com) is always a good place to look.

rocketman
07-17-2011, 05:49 AM
I think that I'm going to replace both the booster and the master cylinder . . . neither has ever been changed and I've owned the car since new (8/89). Thanks again Doc! Rocketman