PDA

View Full Version : engine wont turn over

doc
07-11-2011, 01:15 PM
just got 1988 honda accord hatch dx auto a couple weeks ago(Maynard) hey guys wondering if anyone ever had this issue when i turn the key only hear whizzing of starter.....heres what happen my girl was driving said she got bump in the rpms then car died i come out car wont turn over ...towed home at home so now i think timing belt may have snap (had some oil leaking thought weaking belt)so take cover off and belt is ok also just replaced oil switch(leaking),dist cap,spark plugs,dist o ring(leaking),brakes,calibers,bout to switch out flex pipe then this happens ....its not battery its new and threw it on charger.......could it be starter over running clutch or pinion gear doesn't make sense why engine cut off on high way any help will be greatly appreciated

charliekuney
07-11-2011, 03:04 PM
I can't thoroughly understand what the car is actually doing, but if it's cranking but not turning over, it's the main relay. Have a sudden change in temperature lately?

ecogabriel
07-11-2011, 03:26 PM
Do you hear the starter spinning but the engine does not turn over? Or it does turn over but it does not start? If it is the former it may be the starter or -something more weird - the starter ring gear coming loose from its welds to the torque converter... it happened to me a while back

From what I read earlier, a rpm bump may be the ignitor; if it dies there is no spark so the car won't start -but it will crank no problem.

doc
07-11-2011, 04:38 PM
the first is correct the starter is spinning but engine does not turn over or crank i can tell cause rotor doesnt move and timing belt doesnt rotate ...im am getting spark but doesnt matter cause i cant get engine to turn over and combust.... correction on the rpm bump(no rpm bump)....she said it just powered down shut off wouldnt start ...would the starter ring gear powerdown the car

TotaledTL
07-11-2011, 06:30 PM
Pull the starter & inspect.

Dr_Snooz
07-11-2011, 08:15 PM
It sounds like the starter solenoid. You sure your girl didn't just run out of gas?

doc
07-11-2011, 09:30 PM
lol no my girl just got gas .....but heres an update starter is working and spinning crankshaft but thats not spinning my cam so i think either time belt failure(even though belt looks good with top cover off and looks like has tension),timing belt tensioner failure,or maybe if belt was loose some teeth got sheared off and wont turn belt,,,,,,,anyway thats what i came up with so far any other ideas will be greatly appreciated................is it catastrophic.......not sure if its an interference motor or not 88 accord dx hopefully no bent valves and stuff

Hauntd ca3
07-12-2011, 12:45 AM
if its turning over but the cam aint turning, the cam belt is stuffed. bank on a new head, head gasket, timing belt ,idler and tensioner

AccordB20A
07-12-2011, 03:13 AM
she should be sweet, slap another new belt on there and it should be mint. dont think these motors are interferance

Oldblueaccord
07-12-2011, 04:04 AM
lol no my girl just got gas .....but heres an update starter is working and spinning crankshaft but thats not spinning my cam so i think either time belt failure(even though belt looks good with top cover off and looks like has tension),timing belt tensioner failure,or maybe if belt was loose some teeth got sheared off and wont turn belt,,,,,,,anyway thats what i came up with so far any other ideas will be greatly appreciated................is it catastrophic.......not sure if its an interference motor or not 88 accord dx hopefully no bent valves and stuff

Most of the time its not. Might slip a belt on it quick do a compression test and or start it quick before putting it all back together. You can pull the valve cover off just to check make sure the cam turns and the distributor it self didnt break.

wp

TotaledTL
07-12-2011, 06:33 AM
if its turning over but the cam aint turning, the cam belt is stuffed. bank on a new head, head gasket, timing belt ,idler and tensioner

New head- ?

doc
07-12-2011, 11:06 AM
took valve cover off nothing looks bent from this side but dont know yet. going to take off bottom timing belt cover off but have to take off other belts first wow i even have to jack up motor and take off motor mount .....gonna then try slapping timing belt on and see whats happening.....anybody have any other suggestions anybody have spare head around for 88 accord dx

88Accord-DX
07-12-2011, 03:38 PM
All honda engines with a timing belt are classified as interference design, BUT on these engines 9 times out of 10 your will be OK, it depends on what RPM the belt snapped. Basically what you need to do is put a timing belt on (make sure #1 cylinder is TDC) & see if it runs. Compression test it after you get it to operating temperature to see if a valve got bent, but highly doubt it.

Replace the tensioner idler pulley while your in there.

Dr_Snooz
07-12-2011, 09:40 PM
You're fine. Just replace the belt. These aren't interference.

doc
07-13-2011, 12:03 AM
Thanx that's what I'm getting ready to do. Gonna order timing belt and tensioner tomo (ebay $27 goodyear) what is the idler or is that the same thing.....is there anything else I should change (pump is new)......guess ill know more when I get timing cover off. Also found couple heads on ebay any body with an a20 head let me know may need it....... Thanks to everyone that's been helping out ..........massive discount for all 3geez members on pest control in nyc. Pestbgone.com. I am the owner/operator or if you have any pest control questions hit me up. Thanks again you guys really put my mind at ease

car6289
07-13-2011, 06:08 AM
Thanx that's what I'm getting ready to do. Gonna order timing belt and tensioner tomo (ebay $27 goodyear) what is the idler or is that the same thing.....is there anything else I should change (pump is new)......guess ill know more when I get timing cover off. Also found couple heads on ebay any body with an a20 head let me know may need it....... Thanks to everyone that's been helping out ..........massive discount for all 3geez members on pest control in nyc. Pestbgone.com. I am the owner/operator or if you have any pest control questions hit me up. Thanks again you guys really put my mind at ease

The tensioner is an adjustable idler pulley. It is a tensioner because it is adjustable. It's an idler because it does not drive anything.

doc
07-13-2011, 08:50 AM
thanks was wondering bout that

doc
10-08-2011, 11:31 AM
so finally found out what happen last night my girl was driving in wrong gear and threw a rod in cylinder 1 ...cylinder is ok but bunch of dents on crankshaft
my boy thats mechanic says cars done...dont know what to do... fix it ...sell it...part it out........its got new brake calipers and brake pads ...used head that never got put on...new gasket set ... just put new carb on ...and new radiator...new flex pipe not on and gaskets.. ..and water pump...new tires...any body need 1989 accord parts......or want to buy parts car.......or have any idea what to do my boy says if through new piston it will run rough.....do you guys think i could get my money back by parting out please help me .......................... and thanks for all the help already

Dr_Snooz
10-08-2011, 07:51 PM
I'd start by sending the girl packing...

The decision is yours really. Is the car awesome otherwise? If so, then it might be worth fixing. You can price rebuilt engines. You can also price used Japanese engines too. They are getting rare, but are cheap.

ecogabriel
10-09-2011, 10:17 AM
If you are mechanically inclined - and willing to follow instructions to the letter - you can fix it. An used crank can be gotten from a donor car, or get a refurbished one (I just saw rockauto.com carries those)

On the other hand, here are some questions I would ask myself about fixing v. getting another car
How much can I afford to pay monthly for another car?
For how long?
If I buy another used car, how much can I spend (on top of car payments) on repairs the car may eventually need?

If my monthly payments for another car are, say $200 monthly, that makes $2,400/year. Even if fixing it would cost just that, if that allows the car to run for another couple of years then I would be $2,400 up even if I just junk the car afterwards. This also kind of answers the argument that it is not worth spending more on a car than it is worth

Good luck, whatever you decide... and send the girl packing

doc
10-10-2011, 11:47 AM
how hard is it to put a new crankshaft on do i have to pull engine .....def can follow directions ....i use to be a machinist.........