PDA

View Full Version : What will i need?

Australian 86
07-14-2011, 07:48 PM
Ok so im going ahead with a JDM b20a conversion and i have a contact now who is selling me one for a reasonable price.
Im just wondering which parts i should ask for with it?

This is what is being offered with the engine its self.
manual transmission
clutch halfshaft
OBD1 ecu
wiring harness

My car at the moment is carb'd but i know that the parts i need for that conversion can easily be found within Australia.

So yeah, it would be really great if you could lend me a hand figuring out what it is i need to complete my project.
Thanks!

rjudgey
07-16-2011, 02:43 PM
Are you sure the B20A isn't from a 3G lude?
Ideally you need to have it from a 3G accord because the mounts are different on the 2G lude as well as the wiring.
Personally if i was in your shoes I'd go at it this way, leave you car carbed, look for a A20A1 inlet manifold and put a weber DGV 38/38 on it or better still Weber DCOE's if you can find a nice reasonably priced pair 2nd hand you can have manifold made up from South Africa for reasonable money. The stock FI system isn't great and parts are hard to get these days for the sensors, if you really wanted to keep the FI then best bet is to change your fuel pump for competition one and add a return line to the old tank, you will need to run this to the engine bay, then instead of converting to OBD1 or stock system run aftermarket ECU and ignition like megasquirt if on a budget or if not then any good aftermarket ECU and ignition system will do.
Important things to remember is that the engine mounts have to be from 3G accord the rear one especially front one i think is same as 2g lude, also you will need axles, the centre axle and mount for it essential, exhaust manifold as well, starter motor, alternator, all brackets, gearbox, etc.
Do you have any pics see if you can then we can tell you if it's the right one or not then you just have to figure out if it came from 3g accord or 2g lude.

Australian 86
07-16-2011, 10:29 PM
really??? i was under the impression that the motor was exactly the same from the 2g lude and the accord...
Im not sure why they would make 2 different engine mounts for the exact same motor...

Australian 86
07-19-2011, 06:44 PM
Could some one please confirm whether the b20a from a 2g lude sits on the same mounts as the standard accord...
I just bought brand new mounts for my car and I really want to be able to use them...
Thanks!

rjudgey
07-20-2011, 03:06 AM
I don't think it's a huge difference it may be that you can resolve by having some spacers and making a new bolt hole in the bracket. from past memory i believe they sit in a slightly different position on the back mount between the two mainly because the 2G lude sits a bit lower and has a different subframe on the back of the motor to the 3G Accord.
The engine you have access to is it definately a 2G lude/3G accord engine and not a 3G lude engine otherwise that's a whole nother nightmare! lol!
Axles also maybe different lengths between the two cars as well so make sure you have Accord axles too.
Should make for a pretty interesting car though Hatch with B20A still think Bike carbs or webers would be better than FI though! :0)

2oodoor
07-20-2011, 03:40 AM
I kept my swap carbed it was easier than swapping gas tanks, fuel lines, wiring harnesses etc. plus I had the carb already.
All I needed was different halfshaft set up on the left side, a distributor from a 1st gen Integra D16 (the dohc one) and I modified a A20A1 intake manifold and used a 38/38 Weber carb. I didn't need to modify the manifold to make it fit, just wanted to clean it up some.
I had to extend the wire for the coolant temp sensor to reach over to the theromstat housing, I simply left the cam sensor unplugged but intact.

Doing the FI swap all at the same time will be an experience. It may even be a good idea to do that first so you can trace bugs with that and not associate them with the motor/trans swap.

ghettogeddy
07-20-2011, 12:51 PM
There were 2 versions of the B20A
The first generation of B20A engines was available in the 86-87 Prelude 2.0SI in Japan and Europe, the 86-89 Honda Vigor and Accord . It leaned towards the front of the car just like the A20A engine found in the same cars. This B20A produces 160 hp (119 kW) and 140 lb·ft (190 N·m) torque in Japan. In Europe this called B20A1, produces 137 hp (102 kW) and 127 lb.ft (172 Nm).
There was also a similar engine named B18A for the 86-89 Accords. It was a destroked B20A powered by 2 Sidedraft Keihin carbs.
The second generation of B20A was found in the 88-91 Prelude. The 88-91 Prelude B20A and B21A blocks are cast so they lay at an 18-degree angle leaning towards the firewall. This was done to please the exterior specifications for the 1988-1991 3rd Generation Prelude due to its ultra-low hoodline which Honda dubs the "engineless design" and also for handling reasons due to placing the engine at an angle gives it a lower center of gravity (similar to straight 6 designs in older BMW's).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_B20A_engine

Australian 86
07-29-2011, 08:24 PM
All right... well im going to send an email asking if it comes with;
axles
centre axle and mount
exhaust manifold
starter motor
alternator
all brackets
(comes with 5 speed man gearbox)

and pictures!