PDA

View Full Version : Major Oil leak!!!!!

daprib
07-17-2011, 04:34 PM
What in the world would cause a leak that would drop about a 1/4 cup of oil a day? It seems to be coming from the back of the motor above the exhaust pipe section after the manifold. It also got a lot worse after I changed out the old oil.:dunno:

pink_sleeve
07-17-2011, 06:27 PM
What in the world would cause a leak that would drop about a 1/4 cup of oil a day? It seems to be coming from the back of the motor above the exhaust pipe section after the manifold. It also got a lot worse after I changed out the old oil.:dunno:

Sounds kinda like the oil filter base mount gasket maybe. But I'd let some of the more experienced chime in...

Demon1024
07-17-2011, 06:41 PM
2x oil filter base gasket. Symptom leaks when running

2drSE-i
07-17-2011, 07:34 PM
2x oil filter base gasket. Symptom leaks when running

x3, thats exactly how mine was. Lost a lot of oil.

rocketman
07-18-2011, 03:46 AM
Get yourself a big piece of cardboard and slide it under the car (engine area). Start the car and let it run a minute or two . . then shut it off and go and have a coffee. Come back and slide yourself under the car as much as you can to see if you can isolate for us about where the oil has dripped onto the cardboard. It's awfully hard to see from here and any info . . even if you post a picture . . . of where this oil is dropping from . . will help with a diagnosis. Also . . . details on the car would be helpful . . . year/model/miles/maintenance/and so forth. Post back! Rocketman

car6289
07-18-2011, 09:09 AM
x3, thats exactly how mine was. Lost a lot of oil.

x4, Puddle of oil under the car where parked. Oil smoke wafted from under the hood when stopped in traffic.

ecogabriel
07-18-2011, 03:56 PM
x5, oil filter base gasket.

I went to a nearby car wash booth (those w/coins and pressure hoses) and give the engine a good clean. Went back home, slid a large piece of cardboard underneath the car (as rocketman has said) and got a view of all my leaks... the oil filter base was the first one I fixed.

I have seen a thread w/photos that's how I learned about that gasket and how to do it.

itzdave
07-18-2011, 04:30 PM
I just had to change mine a couple weeks ago... Not hard at all.

lostforawhile
07-18-2011, 06:50 PM
it's just four bolts on the piece that holds the oil filter, the gasket is just a couple of dollars from the dealer, just make sure to torque the bolts evenly, and don't overtorque, it's an o ring type gasket, search on here and there should be a lot of info, while it's off, search on how to disassemble and clean the oil pressure bypass valve,

daprib
07-27-2011, 09:33 AM
Thank you all for the info... I will have some time today to get under the car and takkle the hopefully simple problem. I will report back later. :)

Dr_Snooz
07-27-2011, 06:11 PM
it's just four bolts on the piece that holds the oil filter, the gasket is just a couple of dollars from the dealer, just make sure to torque the bolts evenly, and don't overtorque, it's an o ring type gasket, search on here and there should be a lot of info, while it's off, search on how to disassemble and clean the oil pressure bypass valve,

The oil pressure sender sits in front of one of the bolts. It can be a challenge to remove.

88Accord-DX
07-27-2011, 06:27 PM
Change out the oil filter base gasket & oil pressure sending unit with OEM parts!!!

BrokenBone
07-28-2011, 01:21 PM
x4, Puddle of oil under the car where parked. Oil smoke wafted from under the hood when stopped in traffic.

so the smoke is from the what??? i thought it was from the loss of oil causing the engine to overhead. my solution... just add oil :D

j/k i really want to fix this problem too but idk how hard it is, ill be keeping my eyes on this thread :rockon:

car6289
07-28-2011, 03:40 PM
so the smoke is from the what??? i thought it was from the loss of oil causing the engine to overhead. my solution... just add oil :D

j/k i really want to fix this problem too but idk how hard it is, ill be keeping my eyes on this thread :rockon:

Smoke is from oil dripping on to hot exhaust pipe beneath engine. I did say smoke wafted not billowed.

Easy fix - remove oil filter, remove oil pressure switch, remove 3 bolts, replace old seal, install 3 bolts, install pressure switch, install oil filter, "just add oil" and run the engine and check for leaks.
15205-PC6-014, the part # of the o-ring seal (GASKET, OIL FILTER BASE), $2.39 from Majestic Honda.

lostforawhile
07-28-2011, 05:23 PM
The oil pressure sender sits in front of one of the bolts. It can be a challenge to remove.unscrew oil pressure sender,= rip off useless dryrotted rubber boot over sender, disconnect wire,unscrew

moshbrandonmosh
07-28-2011, 07:38 PM
Had the same problem happen to me. Was losing crazy amounts of oil when driving around. No drips/puddles from the engine when the car was stationary, but I was using about a quart (at highway speeds) every 150-200mi. I'm changing the base gasket tomorrow and will let everyone know how everything goes. Besides the base gasket, is there anything else I should check?

harvo
07-29-2011, 02:21 AM
I'v suffered the same major oil leak (you know it's bad when oil is dripping off your rear mud flaps) suspected the filter base gasket but after cleaning it up and having a closer look it appeard to be coming from behind the timing cover. So, after much swearing I've got the filter base, oil pump, distributor off and considering wether or not to do front and rear main/cam seals. Is there anything we should be looking at changing out while the motors exposed? Didn't see the need to start another thread but would like to make sure i'v covered all my bases while I'm this far in, box is coming out tomorrow for a new clutch.

Cheers, Dan

88Accord-DX
07-29-2011, 08:38 PM
I'v suffered the same major oil leak (you know it's bad when oil is dripping off your rear mud flaps) suspected the filter base gasket but after cleaning it up and having a closer look it appeard to be coming from behind the timing cover. So, after much swearing I've got the filter base, oil pump, distributor off and considering wether or not to do front and rear main/cam seals. Is there anything we should be looking at changing out while the motors exposed? Didn't see the need to start another thread but would like to make sure i'v covered all my bases while I'm this far in, box is coming out tomorrow for a new clutch.

Cheers, Dan
That sounds like it is coming from the front crankshaft seal. You"ll need to pull the timing cover off to get the timing belt off to change it out. If your doing that much work, put a new belt on & idler tensioner. Do the front camshaft seal too, their cheap & check the oil pump to make sure it isn't leaking.

lostforawhile
07-29-2011, 09:04 PM
That sounds like it is coming from the front crankshaft seal. You"ll need to pull the timing cover off to get the timing belt off to change it out. If your doing that much work, put a new belt on & idler tensioner. Do the front camshaft seal too, their cheap & check the oil pump to make sure it isn't leaking.

at this point, just put in a new oil pump cover seal, cheap and they like to fail suddenly

harvo
07-30-2011, 01:22 AM
Yeah, I'm replacing all of the above and more couple more bolts and the gearbox will be free ready for a new clutch.

Cheers

moshbrandonmosh
07-31-2011, 11:33 AM
So, I replaced the oil filter base gasket and....I'm still using the same amount of oil. About 1qt every 200 mi or so. No leaks when the car is stationary. Every seal except the distributor o-ring has been replaced. I really don't know what it could be. I'm getting pretty discouraged, and I don't have the money for another car. It doesn't seem to smoke ever when it's running, or on startup. My mechanic is going to do a compression test tomorrow. The car only has about 130k on it. Could valve stem seals and/or rings go bad this fast? I may even just consider a B20 swap if it's going to cost me big money. Any ideas?

VIPER1988
07-31-2011, 12:26 PM
Possibly the oring/s on the oil pump. I was loosing about half a quart per day. Went crazy replacing allseals and orings. Even pulled the motor and did the rear main. Started it up after reassembly and watchedoil seeping from around the oil pump. I think it was 10$ for the oring kit at advance auto. Haven't leaked a drop since.

moshbrandonmosh
07-31-2011, 01:09 PM
Hmm. When the timing belt was done, I was told that the seals looked fine. Strange. Maybe I'll have to go back and take another look?

harvo
07-31-2011, 06:33 PM
If my car leaks after all this work I'm going to pay up for comprehensive insurance and burn the f@#ker to the ground.

harvo
08-16-2011, 03:56 AM
If my car leaks after all this work I'm going to pay up for comprehensive insurance and burn the f@#ker to the ground.

Got the fuel, got the matches, hold me back cause it gonna burn..........shit forgot the insurance:uh:

Dr_Snooz
08-16-2011, 06:49 PM
It's always a smart idea to talk about insurance fraud in a public forum...

lostforawhile
08-16-2011, 07:01 PM
So, I replaced the oil filter base gasket and....I'm still using the same amount of oil. About 1qt every 200 mi or so. No leaks when the car is stationary. Every seal except the distributor o-ring has been replaced. I really don't know what it could be. I'm getting pretty discouraged, and I don't have the money for another car. It doesn't seem to smoke ever when it's running, or on startup. My mechanic is going to do a compression test tomorrow. The car only has about 130k on it. Could valve stem seals and/or rings go bad this fast? I may even just consider a B20 swap if it's going to cost me big money. Any ideas?

the dizzy o ring can leak a ton of oil, is there oil around the base of the timing cover? maby the oil pump gasket or the cam or crank seal,

lostforawhile
08-16-2011, 07:03 PM
Got the fuel, got the matches, hold me back cause it gonna burn..........shit forgot the insurance:uh:
I have a 20 year old ford like that the oil leaks defy logic , ford even added an extra oil drain plug to make sure there were extra leaks

harvo
08-17-2011, 01:24 AM
It's always a smart idea to talk about insurance fraud in a public forum...

Sometime sacrcasum just dosent quite make it across the inter web :banghead:

Round 2 has already begun after failing to swap it for a case of beer I thought I should have another go at fixing it. Pulled apart, cleaned and re-assembled without the timing belt covers to pin point the leak/s.

Cheers Dan

Dr_Snooz
08-17-2011, 02:06 PM
Sarcasm is okay. Just try to avoid the kind that can be brought up and misinterpreted in a court of law. If your car were to burn, the wrong statements made online could be difficult to explain.

harvo
08-17-2011, 10:01 PM
If I had insurance then it would be a different story but I appreciate your concern.

removed, cleaned and re-installed the oil pump and it looks as tho the oil is coming from behind the oil pump pully and not the housing, is that common of a failed pump?