PDA

View Full Version : fuel guage question

import racer
07-18-2011, 07:23 PM
Ok so I need to change the fuel guage in my SEI,the question I have is how do I tell the guage from a fi car.I have a box of guages but don't know if they're from carbed or fi cars,can anyone tell me the diff or are they the same.

stillsohc87
07-19-2011, 05:20 AM
are u trying to swap out the whole IP cluster? see if you can remove just the fuel gauge from the cluster and swap it for the old one. The easiest way to figure out if the gauges are from an EFI car would be to shine a flashlight down on the left set of idiot lights and see if you have a PGMFI light spot. a carbed car wouldnt have one

import racer
07-19-2011, 10:38 AM
Yeah I swap the fuel/temp gauge and the needles were both showing half.I figured they would go down when i turned on the key but they didn't.So do I just push them down or do I have to remove the needles and put them back on in the right position.

import racer
07-19-2011, 04:39 PM
Anyone?

charliekuney
07-19-2011, 05:44 PM
I'm pretty sure he has the individual gauges removed already. My guess is that they're the same so Honda could actually save money somewhere when manufacturing these cars...but again, it is Honda.

import racer
07-20-2011, 05:40 PM
Yeah I just changed the gauges,but how do I get the needles to where they should be.They aren't reading right and don't know how to get them to the right position.

Dr_Snooz
07-20-2011, 10:07 PM
I went through this on the 4g recently. I'm assuming they are similar. The needles are on a simple round pin. If you pull them off, the chances of you getting them back on in the right position are about as close to zero as you can get. If you moved the needles while you had them out, then same story. Take them back to the junkyard and get some new ones and don't move them this time. I would be surprised if the carb gauges are different than FI.

Good luck.

import racer
07-21-2011, 10:00 AM
I didn't get them at the j/y,got a box of stuff from a guy who used to have an accord for free.I thought they would move to the right position when I hooked the cluster back up but they didn't move.Are you sure you can't just move them to the right position.It's getting harder to find parts for these cars around here,that's why I grab parts for these cars whenever I find them for cheap or free.

gtpilot
07-21-2011, 10:39 AM
Does it read low or high?

When I reassembled mine with a full tank of gas it was slightly below the full mark - so I just pulled the indicator off and put it back on to point at the full mark. It has never given me any problems after that.

Kirk

Dr_Snooz
07-21-2011, 05:11 PM
Are you sure you can't just move them to the right position.

If you're hyper-anal like me, then no, it's not possible. You can try though. You have nothing to lose. The needles are glued, so you'll have to break the glue without breaking the needle or gouging the gauge face, which is hard. The needle will also move around while you are working on it, so you won't know what direction it's pointing when you get it off. Putting it back on will be a blind stab in the dark. Put the cluster back together and into the dash and hope it's pointing in the right direction when you power it up. Curse when you see that it isn't. Pull it apart and repeat as often as necessary. Do that a few times and then realize that you've forgotten how much you had in the tank anyway, so now you're SOL. Remember that I was working on a 4g, which is a more difficult car to work on generally. The 3g may be a lot easier, but I don't know. My experience generally is that gauges don't work so good after the needles get tweaked though.

Like I said, give it a shot, but don't hope for much.

import racer
07-21-2011, 05:57 PM
Thanks snooz,like I said I didn't have the needles off but they probably got move from being handled that's why I think I can just move them back.The gas tank is just above empty and the temp gauge should be the same as my other car.Stil have the gauges I took out for reference also so I'll give it a try.