PDA

View Full Version : can someone explain

Warren 88 Accord
07-26-2011, 03:04 AM
to me why people put those fart cans on their cars it gives the vehicle a bad sound and they look horrible in my own oppinion anyway

DBMaster
07-26-2011, 09:21 AM
To each his own. Have you seen those big "grandma" cars (i.e. Crown Vics, Chevy Caprices, etc.) with those humongous wheels and 1" tall tires? Not my cup of tea, but somebody apparently likes them. To me those low dollar exhaust mods make the car sound like my Troy Bilt weed whacker, but somebody likes that, too.

In a way, I like it. It keeps the cops on their asses instead of mine. Yeeha!

HON-DUH
07-26-2011, 06:02 PM
idk but it's fucking retarded, they don't look cool at ALL, let alone they sound like shit

People are weird man

cubert
07-26-2011, 08:35 PM
why do people drive 20 year old Hondas?

Worry less about other people and more about yourself.

Warren 88 Accord
07-27-2011, 05:31 AM
im not trying to offend anyone but when im trying to get some sleep before rinals and all i hear is the cars with fart cans just going 20 miles an hour sounding like they are redlining i just wanted an explination why people like them its noisy and ugly in my own oppinion

and dbmaster i see your point but most of the time the ones with giant rims and rubber band tires are overcompensating for something

2oodoor
07-27-2011, 08:48 AM
im not trying to offend anyone but when im trying to get some sleep before rinals and all i hear is the cars with fart cans just going 20 miles an hour sounding like they are redlining i just wanted an explination why people like them its noisy and ugly in my own oppinion

and dbmaster i see your point but most of the time the ones with giant rims and rubber band tires are overcompensating for something

LOL

a lot of times it is just these mufflers rust out and just fall off the car so the ghetto rig is to buy a fart cannon DIY. ..
not much different than back in the day every camaro on blocks in every yard has glass pack laying on the ground under it...
they have been making "muffler mend" or "exhaust bandages" for years because people don't have the time or money to properly maintain there cars. None of that stuff ever worked long, people never learned.

stat1K
07-27-2011, 10:37 AM
they're cheap.

i'm not sure why you come to this site to ask, i think honda-tech would have more answers.

Warren 88 Accord
07-27-2011, 11:46 AM
well i figure you guys here at 3 geez wouldnt blast me as much as they do on honda tech and i live in a valley whee there is little to no rust and the stock muffler wont rust out unless you litterally stuck salt water in the muffler

lostforawhile
07-27-2011, 02:53 PM
I think it's because they think it looks and sounds cool, I guess it's also the reason they bolt a spoiler the size of a park bench on the back. These cars have a much better sound anyway, The smaller displacement Hondas always sound like lawn equipment. There are lots of good sounding mufflers out there,these cars even sound good with glass packs, Another good choice is the porter muffler,it's higher in price and looks like a glass pack, but sounds nothing like one, I guess the answer to your question is a lot of people have no taste in car mods. I also have to wonder why people think it's cool to drive up and down the street at 3:00 am blasting bass and waking everyone up.

Warren 88 Accord
07-27-2011, 03:59 PM
well im in school untill 10 30 at night then i have a 31 mile drive home and by the time i get home and eat its 1 so i just get to sleep and people with fart cans and bass go flyin down my street

CzEcHy
07-27-2011, 04:42 PM
I have one, its pretty quiet tho unless you're redlining it. Cruising through a neighborhood is a lowwww deep tone. Sadly mine is quieter than my stock muffler, which did sound like a weedeater. It doesn't look bad either, and its not at some stupid angle, sticks about as far out as stock and is straight and level. Guess it depends on the honda cause I see ones with basically the same looking mufflers and it sounds like a fartcan.

Convenienze
07-27-2011, 04:47 PM
well, i can explain why i have one lol. but to tell you the truth, mine does not sound like a high pitch weedeater.
it has a nice deep sound and sounds good.
i personally hate the ones that sound like they are hitting 6k rpm's going 20mph.

my exhaust was missing the baffle exhaust piece when i bought it, so i bought a knockoff of some apexi tip..

Warren 88 Accord
07-27-2011, 05:34 PM
well i should say fart cans to me are the cheap blow through mufflers with 3 inch tips and sound like they are redlining at 2k

CzEcHy
07-27-2011, 05:38 PM
Sounds like what I have, except mine sounds like its redlining at redline only lol

charliekuney
07-27-2011, 05:55 PM
Fart cans are not as bad as hole-ridden exhaust IMHO.

Dr_Snooz
07-27-2011, 05:59 PM
well im in school untill 10 30 at night then i have a 31 mile drive home and by the time i get home and eat its 1 so i just get to sleep and people with fart cans and bass go flyin down my street

Whiner. When I was in college, I heard gunshots. LOL

import racer
07-27-2011, 06:28 PM
Hey everyone has different taste,personally I like my car a little louder.At least I can hear it running.

charliekuney
07-27-2011, 06:39 PM
Hey everyone has different taste,personally I like my car a little louder.At least I can hear it running.

x2, but I like to hear my engine, not my exhaust (like, heart versus anus).

CzEcHy
07-27-2011, 06:47 PM
I have the cannon muffler with a 3 inch opening and all I hear is my weber 38 sucking in anything in its reach, creating a black hole into my intake manifold in which nothing escapes.

Warren 88 Accord
07-27-2011, 08:18 PM
that was awsome i shall quote you

2oodoor
07-28-2011, 04:38 AM
I have the cannon muffler with a 3 inch opening and all I hear is my weber 38 sucking in anything in its reach, creating a black hole into my intake manifold in which nothing escapes.

Rock on rock on...

oh and Warren you don't have to have salt around to have rusted out exhaust. Humidity in the air creates condensation and adding unknown quailty air with water into car exhaust can be a chemical smorgasborg which invites corrosive compounds.

Gravity does the rest.

As for your sleep issues, I suggest a white noise generator. A ghetto rig would be tune your radio to a blank station frequency with no signal turn it to an acceptable level of shhhhhh noise where is sounds like a little too loud to be an air vent. You may have to adjust the tone a bit to omit harshness and to catch the sound frequecy allowed thru your windows & walls.

stat1K
07-28-2011, 04:46 AM
^ true, i've had holes in mufflers in arizona. it doesn't take much it's not like they're made of titanium or anything...

Warren 88 Accord
07-28-2011, 08:18 PM
ok let me rephrase this im a desert that has 3 persent or less humidity

2ndGenGuy
07-29-2011, 08:42 AM
I imagine that the rapid temperature changes inside the ehxaust system cause plenty of condensation to build up, regardless of how much humidity. Especially if you drive the car short distances, and never actually burn out all the water. That's the main reason exhaust systems rust out. I'm sure it can happen in the desert too.

stat1K
07-29-2011, 11:40 AM
ok let me rephrase this im a desert that has 3 persent or less humidity

ok, let me rephrase, i come from arizona with 0% humidity or less... and again i have seen holes in mufflers just the same. car's produce vapor inside the engine, have you ever seen water come out of a tailpipe?

oh and as a side note, if you're in san bernardino you have more than 3% average humidity... you have 48% currently.

lostforawhile
07-29-2011, 04:37 PM
T304 stainless FTW, if you want an exhaust to last, you've got to go stainless, also a system on a car rarely driven will fail much quicker then a daily driver, on a daily driver, the engine gets hot enough to burn off the moisture in the system. What happens is moisture produced from combustion combines with the byproducts coating your exhaust, and forms acids, these acids are what causes rapid corrosion in the system. This even happens when the car is sitting, temperature changes cause moisture to condense in the pipes. Try taking a piece of pipe, setting it outside, and go look at it first thing in the morning before the sun comes out.

JamesJimJam
07-29-2011, 09:45 PM
Unfortunately I lost my muffler on a hump last week. So mine just sounds like a lawnmower at all RPM's. I'm just going to replace it with a stock one. I like to keep good ol' Rhonda stock.

lostforawhile
07-29-2011, 10:04 PM
Unfortunately I lost my muffler on a hump last week. So mine just sounds like a lawnmower at all RPM's. I'm just going to replace it with a stock one. I like to keep good ol' Rhonda stock.

the factory muffler and system is horribly restrictive, you can really make a difference on this car by getting something better

Dr_Snooz
07-29-2011, 10:07 PM
You'll make a difference to your MPG too.

lostforawhile
07-29-2011, 10:08 PM
You'll make a difference to your MPG too.

HI DOC BEAVIS!! :tongue: