PDA

View Full Version : Shaking Wheel

inflikti0n
10-15-2002, 01:36 AM
I gotta question, well this usually only happens when im gettin on an off ramp off of the interstate.. slowing down from speeds of like 60+ my steering wheel will shake pretty violently.. not uncontrolably but it shakes and makes my whole car vibrate.. not that big of a deal now but it may become a big deal.. can anyone help?
Dallas.

gr3k0sLaV
10-15-2002, 03:33 AM
I had a similar problem to that, mine was caused by my front tyres been a little bald or uneven or something. Once i replaced them with brand new tyres the problems stopped.

Another cause could be your wheel alignment, so you might as well take it to a tyre and auto place and get it all checked.

I read somewhere that if your front discs are warped or that it can cause that. Or one other possibility is your suspension, just take it to an expert centre and get it all checked.

socal3rdgen
10-15-2002, 07:39 AM
let me tell you. Ive had this problem at least 4 times. once for every car ive owned. its most likely your brakes. get them checked out. i currently have the same problem.

inflikti0n
10-15-2002, 12:11 PM
so the disc's are probobly warped im guessing.. thanks for the help guys im gonna go get that checked out

anchovies
10-15-2002, 01:35 PM
Most probably NOT the discs.
Probably your wheels or alignment or both.
Difficult to pin point and can't be checked without paying for either.

inflikti0n
10-15-2002, 03:18 PM
how much you think it will cost to just get it checked??

anchovies
10-15-2002, 07:43 PM
Just bring it to some tire shop with alignment service. See what they can find out.
One thing you can do 1st is to check if your discs are warped (let me state again, highly unlikely contributing to your problem, but socal3rdgen experienced it at least 4 times, that should account for something)

nanaimo_honda_accord
10-15-2002, 07:43 PM
hey dood your rotors are warped. if they are above the min. specs you can get them turned, if not you will need to buy news ones.

anchovies
10-15-2002, 08:14 PM
hey you say "slowing down"
okie...now that changes it, it's PROBABLY YOUR ROTORS :D (cheap fix, get it turned)
I just read interstate blah blah...who the heck hits the brakes on the interstate eh??

inflikti0n
10-15-2002, 09:51 PM
getting OFF the interstate!!:flipa: :bh:

HostileJava
10-16-2002, 04:50 PM
So it only happens when your braking at highspeeds, not just when you let off the gas at highspeeds?

socal3rdgen
10-16-2002, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by anchovies
hey you say "slowing down"
okie...now that changes it, it's PROBABLY YOUR ROTORS :D (cheap fix, get it turned)
I just read interstate blah blah...who the heck hits the brakes on the interstate eh??

you had me thinking that i was stupid for a second cuz ive had my rotors replace 4 times in my life on 4 different cars. I like to brake hard. :lol

anchovies
10-16-2002, 08:34 PM
DO NOT doubt yourself !!! :D
DO NOT trust others!!! especially over the internet..if the other end says it's your granpa, ask him to prove it
DO NOT trust me :D :D j/k I just misread

socal3rdgen
10-16-2002, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by anchovies

DO NOT trust me :D :D j/k I just misread

ill keep that im mind :deal: :D

Coitis1
01-18-2003, 03:52 PM
i'm reviving this thread. i noticed his problem was while braking. well, mine shakes bad when at high speeds and i either brake or come off the gas. it was shaking at low speeds(about 30) but that stopped after i got an alignment yesterday. but it still shakes at high speeds, so i don't know wtf is up. i had to drive out for about 30 minutes to a subdivision of springfield today to work, and will have to do it agian tomorrow and the ride today was f*ckin horrible once i got on the highway. its pissin me off. any ideas?

nanaimo_honda_accord
01-18-2003, 07:46 PM
hey there Coitis1 you say u got a vibration. could be a number of possibilities. shaking when you brake most likely is your rotors. but if u are feeling a shake when u are driving well it could be out of balance, tyre might be seperated, tyre might be out of round, you might have a bent wheel, if you have mags do you have hub centric rings? and if so did your wheels get balanced with the rings in them? other then that all that i can think of is you might need a diagnostic match balance. some shops like the one i werk at will have a balancer that will match the high and low spots of the wheel and tyre assembly.

bradccool
01-19-2003, 06:11 PM
yea my car kinda does that too...............at kinda slow speeds...........I'd say arround 30 there is just a little wobble ..........and at arround 60-65 it shakes just a little *used to be a whole lot worse!!!!* I went and had my tires balanced by good ole wally world............it was 30$ but it smoothed my ride out ALOT!!! I also had a front alignment *not cuzz of the shaking .....cuzz I hit a curb! ooops!* but my shaking at 30 seemed like it was coming from the back.......I think I need a back alignment............its not bad..I wont worry about it.................but oh yea! get your tires balanced.....it wont hurt it.......and it may make your car a smoother ride in other areas.............if its not that....I think that it is probably your rotors..........*if it happens when u brake!*

Coitis1
01-19-2003, 08:34 PM
thanks for the help. i don't have school or work tomorrow so i'm gonna take it back in and insist that they actually fix the problem. its probably just out of balance.

AccordEpicenter
01-20-2003, 09:42 AM
When I had aftermarket rims it shook my car pretty bad, even to all were balanced and what not and my brakes were good, and it would shake bad at around 60 the get a little better, but its prolly your brakes

markmdz89hatch
01-20-2003, 10:56 AM
coitis and epicenter....

...I was having this same trouble with once I put on my 17's. with the 15's it rode smooth, but with the 17's I felt like I was in a paint mixer. If you notice the shake at higher (like 50+) speeds, once you get larger wheels there's a number of possibilities.

1. tires need to be balanced/wheel allignment
2. your wheels are bent (not fixable)
3. bad tires
4. try it with some hubcentrics
5. (most costly, but I've seen it way too many times) the hubs/wheel bearings in one or more wheels are going bad, or ur balljoints are bad. Being that you're now riding with much less rubber to absorb the vibration, and there's more surface contact due to the wider tire, all that vibration will be aplified.