PDA

View Full Version : Pinging/Ticking at idle/under load

mushroom_toy
07-30-2011, 08:30 AM
EDIT: Turns out it was the egr pipe...it split at the crimp and was letting the smallest amount of exhaust out. I found a bolt to thread in and plugged the pipe...problem solved no more tick/ping. Exhaust leaks are pesky!!!!

Ok well as some of you know I just got the accord back on the road and put my first 150 miles on it yesterday. Well at idle and under load in gear, esp 5th there is a pinging/ticking coming from what sounds like around the exhaust/tranny area. I have a pinched egr pipe and was thinking that was the culprit so i crimped it harder...still same thing. I check the valve lash after first start up and cool down and its right on spec. Checked timing today and with the vac lines connected its set at 15 btdc, like the sticker/manual says. Im running 93 octane, plugs, rotor, dist. cap are all brand new. Ive still gotta pull the plugs and check em and swap out a known good wire for each spark plug wire while its running, but Im pretty sure everything is in spec and fine. The motor is running extremely strong, so I dont think its anything internal. When Im off the throttle, coasting or cruising the ping or tick is pretty much or completely gone.

87roach
07-31-2011, 10:07 PM
Good to hear you have it running and are using it, also fixing the egr problem quickly. You're still doing the flog it method for break-in?