PDA

View Full Version : Manual tran lxi dies when I pull out the clutch

BrokenBone
07-31-2011, 01:05 AM
Little info about my car: laid In the sun for a year until about June when I took it to get smogged, which it fail timing. had mechanic adjust timing to pass smog, which it did but after that it took a few extra seconds to get engine started. My car also has a leaky fuel injector hose/wire.

Now to my problem, the car seems to die at random times on the freeway when when I pull the clutch out from ~3000RPMs. I was able to let the clutch In and it started once from the momentum of the car but tonight I let the clutch in and when I punched the gas It did not seem to respond. I was able to get the gas to respond when I let the clutch I'n 4th gear.

I drive my Honda only to work and it seems to die once on the freeway every time I go to work like described above. And when I drive home at night with headlights on it seems to dies once on free way and once In the same spot every night when I get off the freeway I have to go up a large hill(might be hard on engine idk) and when I get to the top it always dies when I pull the clutch out when approching the stop light at the top of the hill.

Could this issue be a timing issue? The work the smog shop did is covered by a 3 month warranty. Or could this be from the leaky fuel injector? Idk any help would be greatly appreciated this is my main issue with my car and I want to be sure I'm safe.
Oh and every time I try and start the car after getting to top of hill it always takes to long to start to where I'll hear a grinding noise after holding the starter a long time. I usually have to turn headlights and radio off to get it to start. Thanks, sry if I'm beating a :deadhorse:

rocketman
07-31-2011, 03:57 AM
I'm not following your description of the problem. When you describe your clutch use . . . could you be a little more descriptive? "Pull the clutch out"? "Let the clutch in"? Maybe it's me . . . but I don't understand you. When I describe the shifting process (I'm teaching my Son to drive) I describe the clutch use as "depress the clutch pedal" or "let the clutch pedal out". The scenario doesn't make sense to me either. It kinda sounds like the engine dies randomly either when the transmission is in neutral or the clutch pedal is depressed. Is that it? Rocketman

Dr_Snooz
07-31-2011, 06:40 AM
You might want to check your plugs, wires, cap and rotor first. If you haven't done a tune up in a while, now is the time. If you have been running cheap gas, put a bottle of injector cleaner through it. Clean out your IACV too. Here (http://www.team-integra.net/forum/blogs/wildoutwhitegsr/322-how-clean-your-iacv.html) is a tutorial. Also, are you getting a Check Engine light? It seems like that would go without saying, but some people "forget" that they've been ignoring the light for a long time. Also, fix your leaky injector. You're risking an engine fire for the $40 one costs.

BrokenBone
07-31-2011, 06:53 PM
I'm not following your description of the problem. When you describe your clutch use . . . could you be a little more descriptive? "Pull the clutch out"? "Let the clutch in"? Maybe it's me . . . but I don't understand you. When I describe the shifting process (I'm teaching my Son to drive) I describe the clutch use as "depress the clutch pedal" or "let the clutch pedal out". The scenario doesn't make sense to me either. It kinda sounds like the engine dies randomly either when the transmission is in neutral or the clutch pedal is depressed. Is that it? Rocketman

Sry lol it might just be me. When I pull the clutch out I press the clutch peddle to the ground. When I let the clutch In, I take my foot off the clutch peddle so basically the car is I'n gear

BrokenBone
07-31-2011, 07:07 PM
You might want to check your plugs, wires, cap and rotor first. If you haven't done a tune up in a while, now is the time. If you have been running cheap gas, put a bottle of injector cleaner through it. Clean out your IACV too. Here (http://www.team-integra.net/forum/blogs/wildoutwhitegsr/322-how-clean-your-iacv.html) is a tutorial. Also, are you getting a Check Engine light? It seems like that would go without saying, but some people "forget" that they've been ignoring the light for a long time. Also, fix your leaky injector. You're risking an engine fire for the $40 one costs.

Yea the check engine light comes on from time to time when I change gears but it always goes away after I turn engine off. I thought it was normal because of some post I read on these forums

BrokenBone
08-02-2011, 11:16 PM

What type of spark plugs should I go with? I hear that bosch plugs are good. Any advice on which Plugs to go with? I'm going down to pep boys tomorrow to get plugs, wires, rotor, and distributor cap. Maybe even a bottle of simple green.