PDA

View Full Version : Extended top hats

rustlude87
08-01-2011, 01:21 PM
I've been running extended top hats for years now, the only issue is the car feels extremely stiff in the front, and bounces time to time. From what I'm thinking is the spring is preloaded and causing the springs to be stiffer.

Does anyone else have this issue? And I'm running a 7" spring also

cygnus x-1
08-01-2011, 03:43 PM
I've been running extended top hats for years now, the only issue is the car feels extremely stiff in the front, and bounces time to time. From what I'm thinking is the spring is preloaded and causing the springs to be stiffer.

Does anyone else have this issue? And I'm running a 7" spring also

A 7" spring sounds really short. Any idea what the rate is? If it's bouncy I would say that the dampers are likely not stiff enough, especially if you have short high rate springs.

I can't see the extended hats having anything to do with it. Those just change the mount point for the damper.

How are the shock mount bushings? With really stiff springs the factory rubber types are probably not up to the task and they might be taking up some of the suspension travel instead of the dampers.

C|

hondalude86
08-03-2011, 04:17 PM
Hey jared,

As you already know I too am running the extended top hats. I, however, am using only a 6 inch long 500lbs spring in the front. If your spring feels bouncy at all, id say its probably a little to low or the shock valving isn't up to the task at hand. What are you using shock wise? I'm running koni yellows for an ef civic, these shocks can easily handle 500lbs spring

rustlude87
08-05-2011, 04:21 PM
Well cygnus 7" springs are pretty standard for any civic/integra coilovers. I'm pretty sure its the dampeners for the front, I have kyb gr-2's up front. But the thing is I have the car lowered 4" so to compensate with the extended top hats I have them adjusted about 3" and when I put the spring in its compressed about 1/2" to 3/4", so its preloaded. That would mean the springs do have some preload correct?

But Ryan the rear doesnt make sense... I have koni reds, with a 500lb spring, in theory I should be ok, but cygnus did point out the bushings which would make sense...

hondalude86
08-05-2011, 05:23 PM
HOnestly the koni reds aren't valved to handle 500lbs spring, at least not for long. You have external adjustment? If so set it at max stiffness to maximize its life

cygnus x-1
08-06-2011, 11:55 PM
Well cygnus 7" springs are pretty standard for any civic/integra coilovers.

Ok. I guess you're also talking about coilover sleeves, and I'm thinking more about full coilover shocks. Since the sleeves are made to fit over stock type shocks the springs would need to be shorter.
Incidentally the springs on my Leda coilovers (full shocks) are 9".

I'm pretty sure its the dampeners for the front, I have kyb gr-2's up front. But the thing is I have the car lowered 4" so to compensate with the extended top hats I have them adjusted about 3" and when I put the spring in its compressed about 1/2" to 3/4", so its preloaded. That would mean the springs do have some preload correct?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by preloaded, but really it doesn't matter. The car exerts a given load on the spring, which deflects a given amount based on the spring rate. If by preload you mean that the spring is still compressed some when you remove the shock/spring assembly from the car, that won't matter as long as the load exerted by the car is greater than the preload force. If the vehicle load is ever less than the preload force, the assembly will "top out" and probably make clunking noises and damage something.

But Ryan the rear doesnt make sense... I have koni reds, with a 500lb spring, in theory I should be ok, but cygnus did point out the bushings which would make sense...

I know nothing about Koni's so I don't know if they can handle 500lbs or not. 500lbs is way beyond stock but not really that stiff compared to race setups.

C|

hondalude86
08-07-2011, 04:16 AM
Chris really, a 500 lbs spring is beyond what a new ots koni red handle. Ots koni yellows can handle 500lbs springs with ease and konis race valved shock is built for springs in the 1000lb range. This is more or less with what's coinsidered usaable damepening and adjustment with in the full range of adjustment. Which means basically that you can go with a higher spring rate but of course you loose you adjustment range and of course the shocks become undervalved and unaqble to control the bound/rebound where only compression is adjustable

hondalude86
08-07-2011, 04:17 AM
Chris really, a 500 lbs spring is beyond what a new ots koni red handle. Ots koni yellows can handle 500lbs springs with ease and konis race valved shock is built for springs in the 1000lb range. This is more or less with what's coinsidered usaable damepening and adjustment with in the full range of adjustment. Which means basically that you can go with a higher spring rate but of course you loose you adjustment range and of course the shocks become undervalved and unaqble to control the bound/rebound where only compression is adjustable